Virginia Rountree RIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

Virginia Rountree RIP

Post by Gillespie »

Word has been received that Virgina Rountree has passed away at the age of 94, she and her husband Lynn owned the home Bill Hirschey has by Beaver Island Marine. They were summer visitors for many years until Lynn's passing. I will never forget, Lynn, a Illinois packaging company owner, perhaps limousine driven or public transit, who knows but he was taking driving lessons in a car he rented from my father and zigged when he should have zagged and took out a gas pump or two and my Aunt Grace's fence where Cindy lives today!

She later moved to Charlevoix with Lynn being buried here and volunteered at the Charlevoix Hospital, it has to be 35 years or so!!

Farewell good lady!
Frank Solle

Post by Frank Solle »

Hard to believe she was still even alive after all these years. I used to mow the lawn for them - they had one of the first self-propelled models, very narrow, very heavy, and very, very slow, and it's a big yard. I also split and stacked wood of her after his passing. When her flag pole rotted and fell over she gave it to me and I took it home, stuck the good part left in the ground and mounted a backboard and basket on it. Mr. Rountree taught me that a good reader does so with a pad of paper, a pencil, and a dictionary close at hand. He also gave me a copy of "The American Boys Handy Book" which I still have today. They were both quite nice people.
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Looking back at my years at the Island's Community School, the Roundtrees donated a hard covered book to each of the school children at Christmas time every year along with a treat such popcorn or candies for the twice a year movie picked out by the Sisters and the senior class. Mrs. Roundtree often had all the school girls over parties. She was a long time volunteer at the Charlevoix Area Hospital who frequently stopped for visits with Islanders. A very kind and generous couple.
McGrass