Doug Bugai RIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Marie LaFreniere

Doug Bugai RIP

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Stef called a short while ago to ask that I post that Doug has passed away. Arrangements will be posted as they become available.

Stef also asked that this not be posted on Facebook as his dad hated Facebook.
Last edited by Marie LaFreniere on Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMVETS POST 46

Post by AMVETS POST 46 »

Doug was a good man and a great member of Post 46. He was our chief pancake cooker and for this last 4th breakfast cooked from 6:30 AM until 11:00. He was our Sgt. at Arms and was always part of the annual flag disposal ceremony.

He will be missed.

Bob Tidmore
Commander Post 46
AMVETS POST 46
BOX 319
BEAVER ISLAND, MI 49782
amvetspost46@yahoo.com
cathyg

doug r.i.p.

Post by cathyg »

Keeping Doug, his son Steph, and his family in my thoughts and prayers. Drew and I will miss you so very much....R.I.P. my friend.
Cathy (Kate) Garland, former Beaver Island Resident
Phyllis Moore

Post by Phyllis Moore »

Our deepest sympathy to Doug's family. May your memories one day bring a smile instead of a tear, comfort instead of heartache, hope instead of sorrow. Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Phyllis and Joe Moore
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

I always enjoyed talking with Doug whether at the Transfer Station, Shamrock or AmVets breakfasts. He was a man of few words who could speak volumes. He will be greatly missed.

Kirk D. McBride
larry hall

Post by larry hall »

Doug always had a cheerful attitude about everything. He was a regular at our poker games and a good friend of mine. I will miss you, buddy.
Rory Connaghan

Post by Rory Connaghan »

I had the honor of working with Doug for alot of years out at Bobby's mill. He was a great teacher and friend. R.I.P. Doug
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

Thoughts and prayers to Stef and the family at this time- i will miss his teasing and fun-loving spirit!! Rest in Peace sweet man!!
Michelle A. LaFreniere

Post by Michelle A. LaFreniere »

I loved to banter back and forth with Doug every time I saw him. He was my friend and I will miss his quick wit, and easy laugh. Godspeed to him, and much love and prayers to Stef.
Nuge

Post by Nuge »

Doug loved to play darts. I always had a great time with him. You will be missed, Buddy. Rest in Peace.
Patrick Nugent
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Will miss the back and forth banter we shared for many years. Our best to Steph in this time of loss. Call on us if we can help!
Party Plan Girl

Post by Party Plan Girl »

Doug was one of the nicest people, I've had the pleasure to know, here on the island. I will miss you and your great sense of humor! I share in your sorrow Steph and friends of Doug.
cindyr

Post by cindyr »

Many years ago, Doug and Steph over-wintered in what is now the Emerald Isle Hotel. My daughter, Kate, rented an apartment there, too. She frequently convinced Doug to babysit for her small son so that she and Mary Kay could go shoot a few games of pool. Doug has always been very kind to Mikey, and often reminded him that he was one of his first babysitters. He will be greatly missed. My sympathy goes out to Steph at this sad time.
Cindy
Jane Dwyer

Memories of Doug...

Post by Jane Dwyer »

I was sooo sorry to hear about my good friend and relation through marriage. Tim's sister, Jean is married to Dave Bugai of Cedar Mi. We used to joke that we were "kissin cousins". I was terrified of Doug when I first came to the transfer station with my trash. He was very picky about everything! Soon, he got me to do things "right". When we found out about our family tie we became fast friends. Doug was a very special soul. His kindness was most evident in the small ways that most do not notice. I will always remember and miss him. God Bless, Jane D.
bibabes+2

Post by bibabes+2 »

I remember the first time I met Mr. Bugai at the recycle station because he walked out of the office and terrified me about my recyclables. I got back in the car and told my sister Connie I would never go there again. She asked if I had talked to him and I said there was no way that I would speak to him.
The next time we went, I made Connie get out and she immediately started a conversation with him and found him to be a very nice gentleman. From then on we never stopped without talking to him, even sticking our head in the office just to say, "Hi".
He became one of the nicest people amoung many that we have met on Beaver Island. He was a true character and I am sure will be missed by all who knew him. Even though we don't know his family our thoughts and prayers are with them.
Cheryl