Maintenance position available @ Forest View Community

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Forest View Community

Maintenance position available @ Forest View Community

Post by Forest View Community »

Forest View Community, a 6 unit housing community for seniors & people with disabilities located on Carlisle Rd., is seeking a Maintenance Technician with good customer service and organizational skills. Duties will included but not limited too, general lawn care, general maintenance of the units and common areas, as well as completing unit turn overs on move-outs. Some computer skills required for completing work books, documenting work orders, and maintenance procedures programs. This position is part-time and offers 2-4 hrs. per week plus call in hours as needed. As winter approaches snow removal from sidewalks will be added to the weekly duties and may increase the hours worked per week. Contact on site Manager Kate Garland @ "catherine.garland@kmgprestige.com" or call 231-448-2056 to pick up an application and job description package. We are an equal opportuntiy employer.
Kate Garland,
Onsite Property Manager
231-448-2056
AEW

Post by AEW »

Few questions
Couldn't the On Site manager handle this position? I mean really posting for a 2-4 hours position?

How much does this facility cost in total to run/operate each year? staff, utilities, insurance etc?

Since there is an on site manager living there now does that mean we are now down to a 5 unit home for the elderly?

Last question, What was the TOTAL cost of building this facility?

Thanks,
Adam
Pat Simmons

Post by Pat Simmons »

Just a guess, but the total cost to provide some elderly an affordable place to live on the island they love is probably lot less than we're shipping overseas by the freighter load on a monthly basis. But one person's waste is another man's public service, I suppose. Depends on where the priorities are.
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

From my limited understanding, there is a great deal of subsidization to provide this wonderful living option. Lots of loved ones have had to leave the Island due to a lack of options in the past. I, for one, fully support this as it exemplifies government in action at its best.

why nickel and dime such a wonderful option for the elderly? i really do not understand.
Phyllis Moore

Post by Phyllis Moore »

Adam it is not just for the elderly. It is for for seniors AND people with disabilities. If you have questions, instead of jumping on Kate, why don't you write/call/ or talk to Pete LoDico or whomever else was involved.[/b]
AEW

Post by AEW »

Phylis I was not jumping on Kate, I just ask a few questions. You are the jumper my Dear.
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

I have to agree. You may have just wanted some information but statements like "I mean really posting for a 2-4 hour position?" is not just a question.

And, I don't want to seem to be "jumping on you" Adam. I think you do a lot of wonderful things for the island and I appreciate it.

Jim
James Flanagan
37700 Font View Ct. 4439 N. California
Beaver Island, Mi Chicago, Il
49782 60625
231-448-2109 773-463-5494
AEW

Post by AEW »

Sorry if my tone came across as brash. It was not my intention at all. I think it is great to have an affordable and suitable place to for the elderly and disabled adults to live on the Island. But that does not negate the questions I asked. I just have never seen nor heard what the total cost to build and operate the "Forrest View" facility is. I am not passing any judgement here nor there because I have no idea what the cost is. But I would like to know.

With the massive amounts of baby boomers reaching the retirement age our community may feel a need for a second facility one day. It would be helpful to know what could be done to maximize the dollars involved to cover as many people as possible. Now we have 4 one bedroom and 2 two bedroom suites available. So with my math that is space for 12 people max minus the onsite managers suite which leaves space for 10 people.

I have thought that the Emerald Isle Hotel which is for sale for 1.3 Million and has 16 units. 8 two bedroom suites and 8 efficiency sweets would have been a great investment for the community. It seems it could accommodate 32 people. It would be a great place to have a second facility if the community ever needed one. It is walking distance to the library, day spa, shopping, restaurants etc. Sure seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

We use the words "Stewardship" and "Sustainability" a lot these days. I hope that we are good stewards of federal, state and local tax dollars so we can sustain important projects for the future and spend our money wisely.

Adam E. Wirth
unintended rabble rouser
Pat Simmons

Post by Pat Simmons »

Maybe AEW could gather the information sought from the proper sources, and share that with the Forum.
Pat Simmons

Post by Pat Simmons »

And while he's at it, maybe he can offer a list of all the tax-payer supported government benefits he may enjoy, including health care benefits.
Richards

Post by Richards »

Hey Kate,

Nice posting :)

I'm sure everyone can understand that you are simply performing the job that you were asked to do....not coming up with these plans yourself.

One thing I really appreciate about BI is that, on the whole, people are laid back, flexible, and just roll with the punches.
Thanks for always being such a pleasant, fun-loving person!

You are truly appreciated

Sheri Richards