King's Highway Striping!!

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

King's Highway Striping!!

Post by Gillespie »

King's Highway striping to be done this Friday the 26th, weather permitting!
mcdonoughdiane

Post by mcdonoughdiane »

like it better without stripes! :-)
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Actually it is for the health and safety of many including a severely disabled person whose representative asked that it be done. All in all if it keeps bicyclists to the side, etc. it is well worth the bother!
mcdonoughdiane

Post by mcdonoughdiane »

I know it's for safety! It's just wierd to see bright paint on our dusty roads!
Jim

Post by Jim »

I agree with Diane. The good thing is that the cold patch will soon cover the lines and things will be back to the ay they should be.

Jim Stambaugh
Jim

Post by Jim »

Or hot patch.
karens

Post by karens »

Normally, I would agree with Diane. However, you should try riding a bike down the highway! People don't respect the pedestrian lane unless it's painted! It can be a harrowing experience! :!:
Jim

Post by Jim »

Will the new lines allow space for bikes and pedestrians all the way to McCauley road ? Or will the white line go to the edge of the tar as many of the paved country roads do on the mainland? Do you know , Richie? Thanks for any information.

Jim Stambaugh
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Same as before Jim to the 4 corners, we are scheduled for highway replacement in 2013, keep your fingers crossed!
AEW

Post by AEW »

Hey Richie,
Could you see look into whether old asphalt shingles could be recycled here to repave the roads. I know it is done in a lot of places. Just seems stupid to use so much time, money and energy shipping them off when grind them up and recycle them into new asphalt for the 2013 project.

http://www.epa.gov/osw/conserve/rrr/imr ... oof_br.pdf
Beaver Island Jewelry

Charlevoix County Road Commision

Post by Beaver Island Jewelry »

It's about time that the Charlevoix County Road Commission put the lines on the road including the bike lanes hopefully to help the bicyclists. The roads on this island are a disgrace. We certainly are not getting our share of tax money to fix King's Highway; it needs to be repaved!! How much longer can patches be put on patches?

And E. Side Drive has been nothing but a washboard for those of us who have to drive on it every day.

Our tax money is certainly not being spent back on the island. If you would like to talk to the Road Commision about your concerns here is the Chairman: Doug Way at 231-547-6340 or email the clerk at ccrcclerk@utmi.net

Nancy
mcdonoughdiane

Post by mcdonoughdiane »

Lines or not a person should know to hug the side of the road while ridding a bike or walking. Example: Look how many do NOT use the really nice sidewalks in the town area!

I agree Nancy that East Side Drive is a washboard. It makes your teeth rattle! And yes I'm getting older so my teeth rattle! lol

getting our fair share has been an ongoing battle for years! Good Luck! Maybe Rich will help with this issue!?

Diane McDonough
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

We need our own road grader in order to effectively deal with washboard. Scraping the road is the best we can do.
woody

Post by woody »

Why do some bike riders ride on the gravel road along side of a beautiful bike path from town to the campground. Why?
AEW

Post by AEW »

We need a paved loop around the Island. Down eastside drive then back up west side drive. Keep the roads the same width. Would be great to attract motorcycle riders. It must take an couple oil wells to keep those trucks running non stop "fixing" the roads.