Thanks to all-another great trip!

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Linda Gallagher

Thanks to all-another great trip!

Post by Linda Gallagher »

My latest venture to the northern paradise you all call Beaver Island was a huge success! The weather was perfect, the fishing was good, and as usual, the people of Beaver Island were wonderful.

I knew last year that Beaver Island's residents are very special people, this year proved that once again. It's an honor to me to have so many friends over there.

I'd like to thank Steve West of the Chamber for all of his efforts for us, Jeff Powers, who not only set up our fishing ventures, but arranged for us to fish three different lakes, but took the time to guide us on those ventures, literally spending the better part of three entire days with us at a time of the year that he's a pretty busy guy, Ivan Young, who offered not only his boat but his walleye expertise for two of our adventures, both very worthwhile, the folks at the Beaver Island Lodge, who made sure we were not only comfortable, but dazzled by one of the most spectacular views I've ever seen right off the decks of our rooms, Gordy from Gordy's Auto, who put us in a brand new Escape, and both the Beaver Island Boat Company and Paul Welke from Island Air, who made sure our trip to and from the island was smooth as silk.

It was great meeting more of you on this trip, like Marie Powers, who went out of her way with son Forrest and friend Karen to cook us a walleye lunch last Thursday, Lois Williams and her husband, Sally Fogg, who graciously gave us a full tour of beautiful Deerwood Lodge, and John Crouse, who we met while waiting for the plane on Thursday afternoon.

Thanks again to the staff at the Shamrock, Nina's, and the Stoney Acres Grill-great food and service, as usual!!

My first article on this latest adventure will be in this Thursday's Record Eagle, and the MOOD show will be aired week after next, on Channel 6, PBS, at 8:30 p.m.

I'm looking forward to seeing some members of the Wildlife Club at the MWTHA get-together picnic we're holding on August 27th at the Charlevoix Rod & Gun Club (come one, come all, and help us support the wild turkeys of Beaver Island and all of Area J!), and I'm looking forward to a trip over this fall, hopefully with my son.

Take care everyone, thanks again for everything-you have a very special island there-all of you are pretty special, too!

:D

Linda Gallagher
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

Linda,

Thanks for your kind words. Its always a pleasure to host you and the Mi-Out-of-Doors crew on the Island. :D

Best Wishes From Beaver Island,
Steve

Post by Guest »

I saw the MI-Out-Of-Doors last night, and I just wanted to say It was a GREAT show. Jeff Powers should be Citizen of the Year for all the hard work he has done. Not only will all the effort put into this project benefit the fisherman, but it will also benefit the whole Island.
Chamber of Commerce

Jeff Powers

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

Can I second that Citizen of the Year nomination? Nomination forms are availble at the Chamber office or can be downloaded from our web site beginning in Jan. www.beaverisland.org
Trish Scott

Thanks to all

Post by Trish Scott »

I couldn't find the article in the Traverse City Record Eagle. Did a search and still couldn't find it. What day did it appear? Has the TV show already aired? How can I see it?
Linda Gallagher

Summer 05 BI trip

Post by Linda Gallagher »

Trish-the article ran several weeks ago, the week after we were on the island. They don't run much outdoor stuff online... :cry:

But then again, some writers don't want their stuff online, too, although I don't mind. Since the RE uses freelance folks like me for most of their outdoor stuff, there is also the matter of extra pay for what constitutes a "second publication" for running things on the web. The RE hasn't paid any of their freelancers for internet publication ever, to my knowledge.

I do have a copy of my piece here, if you'd like to email me, I will forward it.

The show aired last Thursday night, and again last Saturday afternoon, on PBS. You may see it again as a re-run sometime.

Linda
Rich

Post by Rich »

Linda, I did not get a chance to view the program either and would appreciate you posting if you find out it will be on again, thanks!! Rich Gillespie
Trish Scott

Thanks for another great trip

Post by Trish Scott »

Hello Linda,

That would be wonderful if you could send me the article. My email address is:

PScott@att.net

Also, does MI Out of Doors sell copies of their TV shows?

Thank you so much! I'm so glad you enjoy Beaver Island. Thanks for your interest!

Trish