Which beach is best on Beaver Island?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

vik

Which beach is best on Beaver Island?

Post by vik »

Never been to Beaver Island, but your wonderful websites describe your island very well.

I do have a question:
Which is the best beach on the island?
Consider things like view, water clarity, drop off, water temp, privacy, facilities, size, etc.

I am hoping to start some discussion, here.
Thanx.
Becca Ken

Post by Becca Ken »

Donagal Bay. Sandy, warmer, and the sunsets are amazing!
vik

Post by vik »

That helps. We are told the cottage we are renting is about a 1/2 mile from there.
What's it like on the east side of the island?

Post by Guest »

Iron Ore Bay has always been my favorite.
vik

Post by vik »

what did you like about Iron Ore Bay?
Kris S.

favorite beach

Post by Kris S. »

Tough question....there are so many beaches, each delightful in its own way. If I was forced to pick which one in my humble opinion is BEST, I would have to say Sand Bay is my absolute favorite. Very easy on bare feet once you get past the first yard or so of rocks, a sandbar or two, spectacular sunRISES.

I also love Donegal and Iron Ore Bays, don't get me wrong.
"The trouble with the rat race is, even if you win, you're still a rat." --Lily Tomlin
vik

Post by vik »

Do the beaches at Donegal, Iron Ore, and Sand Bay have facilities?
ie; changing rooms, rest rooms, drinking fountains

Post by Guest »

My daughter votes for the one in town she said it has everything.And its close to everything. 8)
Trish Scott

Beaches

Post by Trish Scott »

What a great topic! One of the best things about Beaver Island is that it is not overly developed. Pristine water, clean sand beaches, no crowds, etc. The trade off is that the beaches are so undisturbed and incredibly and naturally beautiful that there are few amenities.

Iron Ore Bay has very clean out houses that can be used for changing. Then there are woods galore that serve very well as changing rooms too. Or just wear your bathing suit all day long and don't bother changing!

The beach in town has a drinking fountain and an emergency phone. It has a playground and picnic tables.

Commonly people pack coolers for the day as once you leave town, you need to have what you want with you! It's a wonderful adventure!

The campground at Sand Bay has drinking fountains, picnic tables and out houses.

Donegal has no amenities, other than gorgeous views, sandy beach, sandy bottom swimming, incredible sunsets, etc.

There are also no rules! You can bring your dog, floatation stuff, you can build fires on some of the beaches (not in town though) (if there is no dry spell that prohibits fires), etc.

Iron Ore probably has the fastest drop off once you enter the water. You won't wade far before the water is over your waist. The water is also pretty cold.

But don't take our word for any of this, you have to see for yourself. It is like going back in time. Less hurried, less spoiled and incredibly gorgeous.

Post by Guest »

Iron Ore is a public beach? I heard it was privatly owned now?
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

There was another thread about water temperature you might also want to look at.

http://www.beaverbeacon.com/forums/view ... 6d70aa70a7

Jim
Trish Scott

Beaches

Post by Trish Scott »

There is a segment of Iron Ore Bay that is public. There are outhouses and a couple of picnic tables.
jflanagan

Peaine Township Recreation Map

Post by jflanagan »

Peaine Township has a PDF map of Recreation sites on the whole Island here:

http://www.charlevoixcounty.org/downloa ... trails.pdf

It's a great map. BUT, All the sites are indexed with a number and I have been unable to find a key anywhere.

It does show Recreation site #18 at Iron Ore Bay, It also shows Donegal Bay at #31 and the Beach in town at #6 and the campground on the East side at (I think #10).

In addition to these my favorite site is at the end of the Little Sand Bay Nature trail on Little Sand Bay at #7.

Anyone know where a complete Index can be found or could anyone post one.

Finally, this discussion and the ones earlier point out that there appears (to my knowledge) to be no comprehensive list of public recreation sites on the island. The Chamber of Commerce headings are pointers toward Island businesses (as they well should be) But a comprehensive list would be appreciated.

Jim

rec sites

Post by guest »

jim - here is a list of site name for peaine twnshp:

Site # 7 - Little Sand Bay - hiking trail to secluded beach, rare monkeyflower near beach

Site # 8 - Pebble Beach - undeveloped
Site # 9 - Mike Boyleâ??s Beach - small area of public access
Site #10 - Wagner Camp Ground - camp sites, restrooms, water
Site # 11 - Martinâ??s Bluff - scenic overview, under improvement
Site # 12 - Nomad - still undeveloped
Site # 13 - Cable North - undeveloped
Site # 14 - Cableâ??s Bay - trail to nice beach
Site # 15 - Buffalo Camp Trail - undeveloped
Site # 16 - West Side Lake Genesereth - rough trail, no lake access
Site # 17 - BeaverHead Light - historic lighthouse
Site # 18 - Iron Ore Bay - public beach, restrooms
Site # 19 - Cheyenne Point - undeveloped
Site # 20 - French Bay - somewhat difficult to find, 1/2 mile walk to beach from beaver dam on top of bluff, secluded bay

Site # 21 - Millerâ??s Marsh - interpretive trail, managed by CMU
Site # 22 - North Mill - undeveloped
Site # 23 - Greeneâ??s Lake Public Access - canoe launch
Site # 24 - McFaddenâ??s Point - north end Greeneâ??s Bay, beach access, but surrounded by private land

Site # 25 - Fox Lake Public Access - boat launch, pan fish
Site # 26 - North Fox Lake - undeveloped
Site # 27 - Oliverâ??s Point - rough trail to secluded bay
Site # 28 - Bonnerâ??s Bluff - walk below bluff
Site # 29 - Barneyâ??s Lake - boat launch, pan fish, muskie
Site # 30 - McCauleyâ??s Point - undeveloped, part of Port St. James properties

Site # 36 - Font Lake Park - nature viewing area
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

Thanks "guest" That index to the map is fantastic.

And it reminds me "Site # 14 - Cableâ??s Bay - trail to nice beach " We were with Grandma and couldn't go down to the beach but the little creek that crosses the trail near the parking (I'd guess it's Cable's Creek) is another of the prettier spots on the Island.

Whoever posted the list, wish you'd signed in or signed your name so I'd know who to thank.

Jim