Corned White Fish Question

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Matthew Hill

Corned White Fish Question

Post by Matthew Hill »

I recently discovered the Beaver Island News website and have started working my way through the archive. In the entry for Dec. 17 to 22, 2000 I read the story, When Santa Missed the Boat For Beaver Island by James Pooler. In it, there is a line about Christmas Eve which says "That's the night you always had the corned white fish for dinner..." .

Now I'm a newcomer to the island and a seasonal one at that, but corned white fish is a total stranger to me. I looked up corned fish on the net and most of the references are either to Newfoundland, Maine, or the British Virgin Islands. The recipes for corning fish vary but are for salted fish, sometimes dried and sometimes not. Now Newfoundland has a strong Irish connection, though not to my knowledge Maine or BVI, so there may be a link there. But, my question is: does anyone recall how corned white fish was made on Beaver? Or how it was cooked? Any information would be appreciated.

Matthew Hill mhhill@uwaterloo.ca
Phyllis Moore

Post by Phyllis Moore »

Hi Matthew,

Mr. Pooler had a lot of errors in his story, especially with the names so it wouldn't be too big of a surprise if he'd made up the "corned white fish" dinner. Perhaps someone will know of a recipe for it though. Miss seeing you at the library :) but glad you know that you're enjoying the News on the 'Net that Joe and I do.