Grace Boyle Matela

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Marie LaFreniere

Grace Boyle Matela

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Grace Matela died unexpectedly yesterday in Grand Rapids.

Grace was the daughter of Jack Boyle and Bea O'Donnell.

There will be visitation at the Winchester Funeral Home in Charlevoix from 4:00 - 8:00 P.M. on Thursday. Visitation on the island will begin Friday at 3:00 P.M. at Holy Cross Church. There will be a Mass at 11:00 A.M. on Saturday at Holy Cross Church.

We are all saddened and our hearts are heavy.
beckyg24

I am so sorry...

Post by beckyg24 »

Ray, John and family,

Tim and I were saddened to hear of your loss. It seems so unreal to me, as I am sure it does to all of you, because I just saw and spoke to her at the Grand Rapids Party on Saturday. She looked wonderful and was having a great time. Again, you are all in our thoughts and prayers at this difficult time and if any of you need anything do not hesitate to call.

Our deepest sympathy,
Becky and Tim Gerace
Marie LaFreniere

Grace Boyle Matela

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

The following is from the Petoskey News Review:

Grace Boyle Matela

Wednesday, March 2, 2005 4:04 PM EST

Grace Boyle Matela, 67, of Beaver Island, died March 1, 2005, in Grand Rapids.

Funeral Mass will be 11 a.m. Saturday, March 5, at Holy Cross Catholic Church on Beaver Island, with the Rev. Patrick Cawley officiating. Interment will take place at Holy Cross Cemetery.

Grace was born Sept. 9, 1937, on Beaver Island, the daughter of Jack and Beatrice (O'Donnell) Boyle. She moved to Chicago as a young girl, where she graduated from Mercy High School.

On Oct. 13, 1956, she married Raymond A. Matela in Chicago.

Grace was a selfless community volunteer, and always put others' interests before her own. She will be greatly missed by her wonderful family and friends.

Grace is survived by her husband, Raymond A.; sons, Raymond M. (Nancy Jo) Matela of Hemet, Calif., Thomas E. and John D. of Beaver Island; daughters, Vicki Lynn (Dana) Smith of Puyallup, Wash., Elizabeth A. (Mark) Davis and Joan T. (Ashley) Gilpin, all of Hemet, Calif.; grandchildren, Jamie, Theresa and Tommy Matela, Hunter and Parker Matela, Amanda and Adam Smith, Zachary and Tory Davis, and Shay; mother, Beatrice Boyle, of Beaver Island; brothers, Daniel Morris (Sally) Boyle of Crete, Ill., John (Marge) Boyle of Bloomington, Minn., Bernie (Kathy) Boyle of Reno, Nev., Donald (Chris) Boyle of Tinley Park, Ill., Timothy Boyle of Chicago, Steve Boyle, Neal (Connie) Boyle, and Patrick Boyle, all of Beaver Island; sisters, Jean (Gary) McDonough of North Fort Meyers, Fla., Theresa Gacek of Scottsdale, Ariz., Susan (Doug) Heynig of Grand Rapids; sister-in-law, Romaine (Bob) McCarthy, of Marco Island, Fla.

A daughter, Christine, and sister, Sharon Simpson, preceded Grace in death.

Visitation will be 4-8 p.m. Thursday, March 3, at Winchester Funeral Home, Charlevoix, with a rosary at 7 p.m. A wake will be held at Holy Cross Church on Beaver Island beginning at 3 p.m. Friday.

Contributions may be made to the Holy Cross Catholic Church, or to the Beaver Island Preservation Society.[/b]
Vicki Smith

Grace Matela

Post by Vicki Smith »

Thank you all for your kind words.

Vicki (Matela) Smith