museum week changed to July 11-16, 2005

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Sheila

museum week changed to July 11-16, 2005

Post by Sheila »

What is going on with changing the dates of museum week? We planned a family reunion around what was supposed to be museum week July 17-23. Hotels are booked, boat reservations made, flights planned and vacation signed up for at work. Now it is going to be changed to a different week? The whole point of planning the reunion for that specific week was the activities and opportunities associated with museum week. How can there be "scheduling conflicts" in the church hall for a whole week???????? What about alternate sites for the activities there has to be options other that moving the whole thing.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Sheila, You make a good point!! Museum Week has been the same 3rd week of July for many moons, who can help answer this question and what can we go to keep it on track. Certainly the school gym could be used for numerous activities!
J.McBain

Museum week

Post by J.McBain »

I know I orginally thought it was that third week. That is why we planned the celtic games for the 23. It would be great to have the games the same week as museum week. We are still going to keep the games on July 23, even without the museum week though. And all proceeds we raise above what we need for the games will still go to the Beaver Island Historical Society.
Beverly Miller

Museum Week Change

Post by Beverly Miller »

:( I, too, am concerned about the change of dates for Museum Week. I live in California and was really looking forward to getting together with relatives and revisiting the Island where my father was born. I had all my reservations made and when I saw the change on your Beaver Beacon site, I immediately called where we had rooms booked and found out that there are no vacancies for the new dates. The motel owner had no idea that the date had been changed, and m y concern is that very few people on the Island know about the changes, either. When I called the Chamber of Commerce, the gentleman told me he had only been informed of the date change an hour before I called, and was worried about having given out the original date to so many people.

What kind of backlash is this change of dates going to cause? Are the people who rent rooms and homes going to let people come and discover that Museum Week was the week before? Or will they have to call all of their customers telling them about the change and then have to tell them they have no vacancies?

I was told that the change in dates was brought about because the church hall had been rented out to someone else during the original week. Since Museum Week has always been held the third week of July, couldn't that person be told that a mistake had been made? Or surely there must be other places on the Island where events could be held--the school, the library, another church?

I hope the committee will address this problem and come up with a solution so that Museum Week can be held during its original dates and therefore eliminate a huge problem and the Island and its visitors.

Beverly Gallagher Miller
Bev
Beverly Miller

Museum Week Change

Post by Beverly Miller »

When I voiced my concerns about the change of dates for Museum Week, I submitted my comments without previewing them first. I just discovered that I evidently had a senior moment when writing the last sentence. It should have read "eliminate a huge problem FOR the Island and its visitors."

It sure is tough getting old!
Bev
William Cashman

museum week

Post by William Cashman »

The Beaver Island Historical Society deeply regrets the inconvenience being caused by mistakes made in reserving the Parish Hall for Museum Week. For those who can only come to the Island on the week after July 11 - 16, we are considering adding additional programs before the Celtic Games, still set for 7-23, or opening the Museums a few evenings. And we are discussing ways to improve our system; for example, we will replace the vague directive, "third week in July," with the more precise formula, "starting on the third Monday of July."

On the bright side, low attendance at some events in the past few years has led the Board to ask whether staging the Museum Week events is really worth the effort. Now it has a resoundingly positive answer: "Yes!"
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Just a quick note in response to Bev's comments: Last summer our family decided to book the hall for a Gatliff reunion on July 23rd. We picked that date as it fell midway between the 4th of July and Homecoming in the hopes that it would be easier for those traveling to arrange for lodging. In a perfect world, we could just switch everything to a different weekend. In fact, last fall when we learned that Danny Burton was planning his music festival for the same weekend, we checked into moving the reunion date and learned that the only other Saturday night open in the hall during July or August was the weekend AFTER homecoming, which is too late in the summer for many of our family to attend. We've since booked the band, the caterer, the convent, and family members have scheduled their vacations and accommodations accordingly. I hope things work out for museum week, and apologize for any complications our plans might have contributed towards. Please know, however, that extended family, friends and islanders are all welcome at the hall to enjoy Beaver Island music after 9pm. If you do find yourself on the sod that weekend, I hope you can attend.
~Shirley Gatliff Cole
Rich

Post by Rich »

This is easy to say and harder to prove, as the saying goes! I believe that the Historical Society should stick to the 3rd week in August for their events, especially given the attention that is occuring, and utilize other facilities to the benefit of not only the Historical Society, but the many people who are coming to enjoy Beaver Island for those many reasons! C'mon Bill, we can make it work!!

Museum Week

Post by Guest »

Rich wrote:This is easy to say and harder to prove, as the saying goes! I believe that the Historical Society should stick to the 3rd week in August for their events, especially given the attention that is occuring, and utilize other facilities to the benefit of not only the Historical Society, but the many people who are coming to enjoy Beaver Island for those many reasons! C'mon Bill, we can make it work!!
Rent one of those big tents like they use at graduation for the Museum Week events and set it up behind the Print Shop. They can be completely enclosed. Use the school for several events, but keep it to the 3rd week of July as it's always been not August as Rich said.
michelle

museum week

Post by michelle »

What exactly is double booked? Maybe we could collectively tackle these problems one at a time. It probably would seem easier to change the whole darn thing, but if everyone is willing to put their heads together, Rich is right WE CAN make this work.. a lot of people are counting on this.. Wait till the Allens hear about the change, they centered their reunion around this week also I believe..I would venture to say they are not going to be happy either..
Paul/Shirley

Post by Paul/Shirley »

Just an idea - we were talking about this situation last night and recalled that last year (pretty sure it was last year) the museum had the Ceili Conklin Band at the hall and it was, unfortunately, sparsely attended. Although the music was awesome and we thoroughly enjoyed it, there were times when you could have shot a cannon through the hall and not hit anyone. I know Danny had his music festival on the same weekend which might have affected some of the attendance, and we're concerned that the same thing might happen again this year, especially with the reunion planned as well. To avoid having too many events or having to compete with other musical options, we thought that instead of trying to do museum week the week of the 11th with music on the LAST night (the 16th), why not KICK OFF museum week with music on the 16th, and then continue with the traditional plans as typically scheduled throughout the remainder of the week? The bonus is also having Jeremy and his crew coming for the Celtic Games the following Saturday (the 23rd), which would be a great way to wrap up the festivities, and which I believe was Jeremy's hope as well (to keep the Celtic games connected to museum week). I, personally, think museum week, the Celtic games, and Danny Burton's music festival are all great events for the Island. But it's almost like television sometimes... there will be nothing on for weeks at a time, then all of a sudden, there comes a night when there's great programs on every channel and you hate to miss out so you click back and forth and back and forth, all the while wishing the networks would have better coordinated the programs instead of forcing viewers to choose. And that, I suppose, is both the impetus and intent of this long-winded post: to better coordinate Island activities, and to allow for choice rather than force it.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Outstanding idea.................Paul, it's a good thing you are around to do the thinking in that family :D !!! Let's make it happen!!
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Yep, Richie, that Paul is so smart! That's why I married him! Or rather, that's why he married me!! :wink:

Post by Guest »

good job Paul! Why not use the hangers at the airport!

Post by Guest »

I don't get it. Use the hangers at the airport for what? Did I miss something here? :?: