Ireland trip

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Julie

Ireland trip

Post by Julie »

Paul Cole, myself and a few others have been discussing another trip to Ireland. While the Cull Family is going in Sept 05, many of us can't make that trip, so we are trying to schedule another trip for spring break of Mar-Apr 05. Thoughts, ideas?????????????
Kris S.

Ireland trip

Post by Kris S. »

Daggone computers! I just composed a lengthy reply that my computer ate. What it said (in lots more words) was that my family of 5 is saving for an early summer 2011 trip to the Emerald Isle. My 12 year old son announced last summer that he wanted to travel to Ireland for a h.s. graduation present. So, we've been saving since then. Will be interested in hearing from others about what not to miss and what not to bother with.

Gonna keep this short before my computer gets wise to me.
"The trouble with the rat race is, even if you win, you're still a rat." --Lily Tomlin
Paul

Ireland 2006

Post by Paul »

Julie - you must have had your curlers rolled too tight when you posted your message and put "2005" instead of "2006"! :P While many of us would love to go in 2005, it might take a little longer to save the "forty shades of green" necessary to make another trip. I spoke to John Cull and he said his family is thinking of moving the trip up from September 2005 to June 2005. I'll keep buying my lottery tickets just in case, but realistically expect it will be 2006 before we're able to go back. That'll give my liver a little more time to prepare as well! (I also have to work on my fiddle playing!!!) 'Slan!
Julie

Ireland trip

Post by Julie »

My deepest apologies, it is 2006, typo typo typo. Of course Linda Wearn won't have to go with us, as she goes every other month doesn't she. :lol:
Debbie Robert

Ireland Trip

Post by Debbie Robert »

Julie, If you are looking for a list of interested folks, please add my name to the list. Obviously, I'm kind of limited as to times I could go, but would love to be kept posted!
Tara Palmer

Post by Tara Palmer »

Paul I thought your fiddle playing was fantabulous on our last trip...almost as good as my harmonica playing. 2006 works for me. '05 is far too close. Perhaps we can set up a website again for people to circulate ideas. Have a feeling there will be a lot more involved this time. We also need to make sure that we are doling out responsibilities to several people as opposed to having it all fall on a few people. Looking forward to it, but wondering if we could possibly top the first journey.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Top the first journey? I have an idea Tara, DON'T GO!!!! hahahahaha. My only comment is that it has to be late fall or early spring or this kid cannot make it.
Tara Palmer

Post by Tara Palmer »

Very funny Uncle Richie!! You know what the best part about that trip was...you weren't on the bus! hahahahahaha
Tom Burke

Injunction

Post by Tom Burke »

hello all,

i'm currently seeking an injunction with the Irish Dept. of Foreign affairs to prevent any sizeable amount of Beaver Islanders infesting our shores with their drinking, optimism and all round good nature. That sort of thing simply doesn't fly in modern Ireland where people are more concerned about house prices and junkies than with having a good time.

Can you feel the cynicism. I'm only back a week and already i'm looking at things crossways. Dublin is driving me nuts so i rang Gearoid today and i'm going up to the island, the other island, next week.

Why not try to work in a trip to my home town of Malahide which can be test driven at www.malahide.ie We have a castle and a couple of good pubs and we've been here since the 8th century. How's that for old.

Miss you all

Tom
Robert

Right, sure...

Post by Robert »

Spare us your sugary sentiments about going up to the island Tom, as we all know it's bagpiper you're wanting to see! Give the he-man Sweeney from Arranmore a hello from us--and tell him the internet is still working, in case he wasn't sure...
Rich

Post by Rich »

What the heck Tom, I thought you were on the island (Beaver) for the last dozen centuries, I guess it only seemed that way!! Ha! Glad you are home safe. Laura and I are in Florida looking over the remains of "Charlie" and fixing on the adobe. Back to the snowy north in a few short days. Will be huddled against the fire thinking about you on the other rock, Arranmore!! Best, Rich
J.McBain

Ireland

Post by J.McBain »

If you would have us, the wife and I may be interested in joining in 2006. Perhaps I can show those Irish the joys of throwing heavy things, playing the bagpipes and enjoying good Scotch Whiskey.
Linda

Arranmore trip

Post by Linda »

Count me in for 2006! How could anyone pass up a trip with the crew that went in 2003? There were so many good times--in every place, on every day, and every night! Let's see if Edward has to keep our "home fires" burning the next trip, or if Connie has done ALL her shopping before the bus is supposed to leave, or if I can let a dance go by without looking for a partner.

Post by Guest »

Hello There! I was introduced to Beaver island last night by Irish T.V. I really enjoyed the programme with you meeting up with your Ancestral Links to Arranmore in Donegal. It was so touching and warm! You must feel so proud in yourselves in making the trip and renewing the generation gap! Long may it continue!!! My name is James Malliagh (pronounce Mallia) I live in the nieghbouring County Tyrone close to Donegal. Let me know when you plan your next trip to Arranmore as I will try and join you and maybe sink a pint or 2 of the Blackstuff!! you can contact me on my E-Mail address
jjpmalliagh@hotmail.com
Happy New Year To You All on Beaver Island!
Mary Kay

Ireland Trip

Post by Mary Kay »

To the powers that be, count me in for 2006 and keep me posted on anything I can help with. marykaymcp@hotmail.com