A Sad Passing

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Rich

A Sad Passing

Post by Rich »

Below is the text of a message I received from Dick and Ellen Verduyn (Frank and Grace Nackerman's daughter). Please offer your thoughts and prayers at this difficult time. Susan was in her late 40's and leaves a youngest of 16 years of age behind. Thanks!

"Hi everybody,
I greet you today with a very heavy, sad heart. Yesterday after an over 4 year battle with cancer our daughter, Susan Waskul, is with God. She passed on about 12:30 PM after an extremely hard fight for life. We will miss her forever but take comfort in knowing she is at last no longer sick and in pain. We have spent today, Sunday, in making arrangements for her funeral and burial. We will be contacting all those we can with information by phone but this will act as a back up to those who we may miss in the confusion of planning.
Susan will be at the E. J. Mandziuk & Sons Funeral Parlor that is located on the NW corner of 18 Mile Rd and Ryan Road. Their phone number is (586)997-3838. She will be in state Monday from 3 PM thru 9 PM and on Tuesday from 1 PM thru 9 PM. On Tuesday evening their will be a scripture service at 7:00 PM at the funeral home. The funeral will be on Wednesday morning and will originate from St. Vincent Ferrer Church. The church is located on Herbert St.
Herbert runs N. & S. and is between John R. and Dequindre. Turning south on Herbert Street from 12 Mile Rd. the street runs directly into the church parking lot. Susan will be laid our prior to the funeral at 9:30 AM at the church and the funeral mass will follow at 10:00 AM. This coming Saturday our plan is to transport Susan up to Beaver Island to her final resting place at Holy Cross Cemetery.
I apologize for communicating this bad news in this form. We hoped to talk to personally but time ran out before we could reach all of you. We thank you for all of your concern and prayers. Susan's family has made the request that instead of flowers, donations may be made to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America or to the Holly Cross Cemitary fund, Beaver Island, MI 49782.

Sincerely,
Dick & Ellen Verduyn"