new topic - celtic festival

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Michael

Post by Michael »

And you can't match wits with an unarmed opponent, Rich!
J.McBain

getting off subject here

Post by J.McBain »

Back on topic (is your mind always in the gutter rich?)....many of the highland atheletes I have spoken with would balk at the idea of throwing in the dead of winter, outside.
the lad

Post by the lad »

BUNK!!!
J.McBain

huh

Post by J.McBain »

Bunk?
Robert

Post by Robert »

Hey "lad", you want to elaborate on that?
Julie

Celtic Festival

Post by Julie »

The opposition to throwing in the dead of winter is???????????? A tradition, too cold :?:
J. McBain

throwing in the snow

Post by J. McBain »

I just said they would balk at it. I actually still do throw in the winter, although sometimes I loose the weight in the snow.
Cold metal sometimes gets a little slick on the hands, that could be a concern...especially since when a highland athlete spins before throwing the weight he generates about 700 pounds of force. We get a little edgy about loosing control of the weight and hitting spectators.
Julie

celtic festival

Post by Julie »

Mayhaps we would hold this part of the festival out in the middle of the harbor, providing the ice cooperates. Thanks for the info. I've caught a few of this contests on TV and always thought it would be interesting for our Irish celebrations.
J.McBain

throwing

Post by J.McBain »

Throwing heavy weights on ice might not be a good idea either. You could do it further down the street than the crowd, or in a large plowed out parking lot.
I have spoken with a few fellow athletes on this and they were interested. If you want, I can try to get a couple to join me this year on the island for the St. Pats day and we can do a little tossing for demonstration.
Although, I am not sure the caber would be a very good idea if it is really cold out. We need a good grip on that pole to get a good toss. I am not sure we could get a good one if the pole is icy.
As far as St. Pats goes, how about some more traditional island and irish music? The last few celebrations seem to have excluded that. I used to love it....listening to the music all night, then after the bar closes going to someone's house or hotel room to continue playing.
J.McBain

highland games

Post by J.McBain »

I have posted information about Beaver Island on the highland games website I am a member of.
J.McBain

celtic games

Post by J.McBain »

I have recieved some response from a few highland athletes who would be interested in some winter games on the island in connection with the St. Patrick's Day festivities. Wearing long johns under the kilt was mentioned. So far I have about four interested. Will let you all know more later.
Julie

Irish festival

Post by Julie »

Maybe you long underwear could be made to match the plaid in your kilt, or a nice coordinating color. :lol:

lost tradition

Post by Guest »

I have been watching the comments on this subject for awhile, and would like to comment.
Why is it that we don't celebrate St. Patrick's Day on St. Patrick's Day?
I realize that if we celebrated on the day it would be an inconvienece, but are we forgetting what we are celebrating?

I think the celebration now is an embarrassment.
One suggestion would be bring back the tradional music.

I don't feel that the games are wrong, but I know that I would rather be having a beer at the Beachcomber, than watching the king and queen contest.
Alice Belfy

Post by Alice Belfy »

Amen!
Rich

Post by Rich »

Great!! We have two new volunteers to organize events and lead the charge. I am sure the ClanNaGael will be elated to hear of it. You can call Kathy at 231-448-2821. Those that have worked this event for the last 20+ years would gladly take a break!