new topic - celtic festival

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

J.McBain

new topic - celtic festival

Post by J.McBain »

Here is a new topic for you Rich, you whining right-wing zealot you:
A few months ago I was having lunch with a couple of fellow highland atheletes. I was telling them about Beaver Island and its Irish heritage. They asked me if the island ever has a celtic fesival. I told them St. Pats was as close as it came as far as I knew. But, I got to thinking about that, especially after having a chat with Robert on the subject â?? actually we were talking about having a celtic tribal weekend in the woods. I think it might be a decent idea for the island to celebrate its celtic heritage with a yearly celtic festival. It could have music, food, history, merchants and (of course) athletic contests. If anyone is interested in this idea, I would be willing to help create just such an event (if you islanders will let a mainlander help :wink: ). Of course, I would first suggest avoiding pouring any green substance into your bodies of water, aka Charlevoix's St. Patrick's Day Pub Crawl. We are still trying to keep the MDEQ off our backs for that one. What do you think?
Rory Connaghan

Post by Rory Connaghan »

Hey that sounds like a fine idea. Count me in! Let me know how I can be of assistance. This is all of course as long as theres no right-wing zealots invited. j/k :wink:
Rich

Post by Rich »

Come on Rory, get serious, you know better than anyone that it takes two wings to fly!!! I would be up for the festival as long as I don't have to wear some stupid kilt (now who would that be directed at!!!). Seriously though, did you know that the Irish invented the bagpipes? Yes, it's true, but they gave them to the Scots and they still don't get the joke, hahahahahha!!! Oh, good morning Jeremy! :D
Rory Connaghan

Post by Rory Connaghan »

True Rich...One does seem to fly in circles with but one wing. :lol:
Julie

Post by Julie »

We're not going to slaughter anything are we, I mean having bagpipes made out of pig or cow bladders is about all I can handle. :wink:
J.McBain

celtic fest

Post by J.McBain »

No, you do not have to wear the kilt â?? I know you Irish as not yet man enough to wear such a masculine garb. However, if you wear to include a highland games portion of the fesival, those who compete would have to wear the kilt, as is indicated in the highland games rules. I would envision the festival to cover all aspects of celtic life, Irish and Scottish.
Any idea of where to begin with this?
Rich

Post by Rich »

Where to start?? Single malt scotch of course!!! Manly? Kilt? For God's sake man, you remind me of a movie, part of the title says, "Men In Tights"...........................
J.McBain

heh heh

Post by J.McBain »

Rich, you and the term "manly" are far unknown to each other. After all, I have pictures of you and your "cute little vest" you wear sometimes on St. Pats Day. :lol: As usual, the Irish are picking on something they admire about the Scots.
It is interesting to note here, I just returned from my Irish grandmother's funeral â?? where I played the pipes, in the rain and in my kilt at the request of my grandmother. So, not all Irish are down on the kilt. And yes, I am more Irish than Scottish, so my snide remarks are all in good fun, you fellow shamrock-loving sheep-shagging pope-worshippers. I have the best of both worlds in me, half-Irish and a-little-under-half Scottish. A poet and a fighter, all wrapped in one, with a little mexican for spice.
Anyhoo....
Seriously though, where do we start with this idea? I know one of you is game for it, what about others? Could this be in connection with the annual St. Pats events (that would be one frozen caber to toss)? Would it be its own event?
Give my your thoughts.
Julie

Celtic festival

Post by Julie »

Couldn't we just build off the St Pat's festival. We need fresh ideas there as well.
J.McBain

St. Pats

Post by J.McBain »

You most certainly could. But, what if the event grows in size and starts getting popular? What if it brings more people to the island (a good thing for merchants)? How do you get more people on the island in the winter with just the one airline service? These are just questions.
Julie

Celtic festival

Post by Julie »

Well our St Pat's has certainly grown from 15 years ago, so I think the flying service would certainly add a pilot and flights to accomodate, only works for them as well. Richie probably has a better idea on that than myself. Did I just say that :roll:
J.McBain

flying

Post by J.McBain »

Good point.
So, then how could you expand and enhance your existing festival? What more does it need and what needs to be done to achieve it?
Marie LaFreniere

Celtic Fest

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

:| Well here's my 2 cents.

I've been to a few Irish Festivals in my day and they've been held out of doors with stages for music, beer tents, food booths, etc.

I'm thinking if you go along those lines it may be a little nippy out in March, especially if you're wearing a kilt!
J.McBain

Kilt

Post by J.McBain »

If you have ever seen me at the Beaver Island St. Patrick's celebration, you will see weather does not effect my decision to wear a kilt.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Can't freeze something that does not exist!!!