Raise a toast to the South Shore!

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

South Shore

Raise a toast to the South Shore!

Post by South Shore »

SOUTH SHORE just may be the most Irish boat of them all. Launched on St. Patrick's Day in 1945, the boat was destined to call Beaver Island home. She was built to make a 30 minute run between Sandusky and Put-In-Bay Ohio. When the Miller Boat Line built their open deck ferries, South Shore was sold to BIBCO. She arrived in Nov. of 73 and served until September of 1997. In 1999, she was bought by ShoreLine Cruises of Chicago, and is currently used as a floating dock.

SOUTH SHORE
US. 247657
Built 1945 - Stadium Boat Works, Cleveland Ohio

Owners: Miller Boat Line 1945-1973; Beaver Island Boat Co. 1973-1999, Shoreline Cruises 1999 -present

64'10'' Long, 24' wide 9'6'' draft 67 GRT, 24 NT

Single GM Detroit Diesel Model 12V-71 -- 12 cylinders @ 4 1/4''x 5'' 320 BHP
Sean Whelan
clarkjhamilton2

Post by clarkjhamilton2 »

Love seeing her in the Chicago river, but sad to see the Green paint gone. Have great "rolling" memories taking this to Beaver. If you were ever prone to seasickness, she was definitely the one to give it to you.
Il dolce far niente...
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

My Dad said they nearly bought her in the early 50's when the North Shore was condemned by the Coast Guard, they were on their way to Put In Bay to look her over then and got a call from Sturgeon Bay that the Christy Corporation would build the first Emerald Isle for their price, it was 1000. per foot, she was 65 feet long. They sold her to Arnold line in the early 60's when the Beaver Islander came along and eventually bought the South Shore in 73 when they were having all the engine/clutch trouble with the Beaver Islander.
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

Where is she located in the Chicago River.
James Flanagan
37700 Font View Ct. 4439 N. California
Beaver Island, Mi Chicago, Il
49782 60625
231-448-2109 773-463-5494
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Jim,

She's at Navy Pier.
clarkjhamilton2

Post by clarkjhamilton2 »

yes, Navy Pier, was docked just East of Michigan Avenue- honestly haven't laid eyes on her in about 2 years so it's possible she's not in the same place anymore
Il dolce far niente...
South Shore

Post by South Shore »

I had the best ride to Beaver Island aboard her. A cozy, smooth riding boat. On a Miller Boat Line forum (her original owners), the people of Put-In-Bay remember her well and have many fond stories and pictures of her.

I'll post some pictures of her location in Chicago along with some pictures of her from Put-In-Bay.

Does anyone have South Shore memorabilia they'd be willing to part with? I've been trying to get one of Archie's rock with her on it along with Capt. Felix's model. Pictures are also appreciated!
Sean Whelan
Mike Evans

South shore pic

Post by Mike Evans »

I found this picture online. I referenced my pics from May of 2009 (not online, so not able to post) and she is/was in the same place as this image shows, at that time.