July 10, 2010 Garden Island Six 40th Reunion

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Thanks Megan!

I hope we don't offend anyone with our posts! We are having a little fun leading up to a great week on the island! Linda and I have a lot of friends and family who started reading The Forum. They have known for years that I am a " little off the wall " but have learned that Uncle Al has never seen a party he didn't like. All four of our sons, grandson, brother, cousins and friends are involved in music and, as on Beaver, music goes well with most any event.
We are planning a nice turnout for the week of July 10TH and we hope to see all of you in our island travels!

The Grey Geezer!
President: "Northern Brotherhood of Geezers"
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Introducing The Beaver Geezer Blues and Boots Band:
Jeremy Biltz, better known as Leroy, will share lead guitar riffs with his brother. After a stint with Super Unleaded Leroy joined Whitey Morgan and the 78's. This Outlaw country group has two albums out and has toured extensively from Michigan to Texas and Nashville in between. Watch for some country licks to show up in Leroy's solos.
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Chad Biltz will be featured as one of our lead acoustic
guitar slingers. Chad played lead for Hoochmakoofa, taught guitar and played for Catzz Aszz. He has been known to switch from a tender ballad to a War Pigs solo at a moment's notice.
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Reed Master Tim Biltz will be joining us all the way from San Antonio Texas. Tim has played sax for various Air Force bands as far away as Oman. His bluesy solos will show why Chicago style music as well as Rockabilly are alive and well. Don't be surprised to see Tim dip into his collection of original instruments from Ireland and Peru to bring the crowd to it's feet.
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Jaa Vee Talkington, lead singer and percussionist for the likes of The Generation Gap Band, has taken his stage presence to another level in the arena of "stand up comics". His back beat on the skins and verbal onslaught will keep the audience alert to some of his original material. We asked him to stick to the PG level for the younger fans!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Lt Col. Tim Biltz writes.....
Hey Grey Geezer...I'm trying to figure out a Blues Name. Any suggestions? I'm thinking along the lines of Saxa-Phoney, Zamfir...master of the Penny Whistle, Blind Scorpion, Border Blues, Tequila Tim, Colonel- B, Pappy-T, Habanero Hot Sax, Jalepeno Jazz Master, Air-Bags, Reed-iculas. What do you think?

Grey Geezer replied....
Wow, that's a tough one Colonel!
I think I would grab on to Blind Scorpion! Don a pair of Raybans, a flight cap and a Tom Cruise white silk scarf to top off the ensemble, then you should be good to go!

"The Tomfoolery has already started!"
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Introducing The Beaver Geezer Blues and Boots Band
A new guitarist, Joe "Fingers" Fennell, will debut with the band for The Reunion this summer. Joe hails from East Tennessee and will undoubtedly bring us a new recipe for some of those Memphis licks the mid south pickers feature.
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Introducing The Beaver Island Blues and Boots Band:
Got the official word last night that Grandson Cory "Sweeper" Biltz will join the band putting a more modern twist out there for the younger crowd. Cory, a wizard on the electric axe, puts three generations of six string slingers around the campfire on Sunday and Monday nights. Although this will be strictly an acoustic jam I am sure Cory will more than hold his own with the Geezers.
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Just thinking about Russ Green this morning and how young we were forty years ago when we first visited the islands. He was probably the first islander we met went we arrived in Charlevoix for our unknown adventure over to Garden.
We hunted near Hale on The Ausable the year before and a young man was fatally wounded very near our camp. We said that with us being family and the high density of hunters we needed a remote spot to camp and hunt. Uncle Joe tracked down Bill Wagner and the rest is history.
Beaver and Garden have caused the weaving of so many friends and acquaintances in life's chapters over forty years. Serious events as the hunting tragedy and the night search for Uncle John as well as hilarity like Craig's size 16 boot after he walked through the pan of fried chicken. I guess memories don't get much better than these!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Many thanks to Theresa, Bondo and Richie for keeping us updated on island happenings as we draw nearer our pilgrimage. Just can't wait to get some of that island food and suds on Saturday night. Looking forward to the island driving tours, taking the newbies out and about.
Sunday afternoon is the big BAGGO (cornhole) tournament. Something so simple had our whole family crying with laughter the last time we got together. Sunday and Monday nights find some pickin going on, hope the woods aren't too dry for a small campfire. I think Theresa may have a couple photos of the last one at their place.
Tuesday will find a lot of our family and friends headed back although I think the twins and their group will stay on for Musicfest.
Linda and I hope we can spend at least a week on the island each year, Good Lord Willing. Will probably stay at a rental out by the beach next year unless the whole Geezer Group decides we should continue the tradition!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

As we salute our heroes tomorrow thoughts go back to a cold November day just about twenty years ago. We had decided to hunt on Beaver that year and set up camp out near the Old Firetower area back of Fox Lake. It had snowed when we arrived and a new face was with us, Lee Collins, who had just graduated from flight school with son Tim down in Texas. Lee was a southern boy who had never hunted in the north woods. Tim invited him along and as he stood in the trail the daylight quickly vanished. No tent! No food! and cold and windy!
We were breaking out the big squad tent when Robert and Mike arrived and looked at our airdrop of gear! They laughed and gave us words of encouragement but Lee was still overwhelmed. A couple hours later we had heat, light and dinner on the stove, all was well for a great week of chasing whitetails. Lee loved every minute!

Flash ahead to last year in Louisiana. Lee, now a Lt. Col and head of ROTC at Tulane University was check riding a pilot in a kit plane when they both lost their lives on takeoff. He had flown choppers over in battle and came home unscathed, but not that day. Lee left a young family behind and a lot of memories of a small redheaded southern boy who learned to love the snow covered trails back of Fox Lake. Walk quietly our friend!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Only one month to go before The Geezers head north to The Rock!
Careful packing gear so we don't cause The Islander to list on the trip over. An extra set of guitar strings won't hurt much I guess.
Yesterday a bunch of us got to talking about how we used to roast szalonna (hungarian bacon) when Linda's grandmother was still alive.
Big chunk of rind bacon roasted over a fire and drippings caught on rye bread made into a sandwich with raw cukes, onions, peppers and tomatoes. It's going to happen so bring extra Lipitor and don't tell your doctor!
I still can't fathom how everyone bought in to driving up to eighteen hours on a whim and a Facebook event invitation to spend some time with us on the island. I like to think that it has something to do with memories going back to when we were young and the world was still relatively sane. Beaver Island is a reflection of what we long for once again!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Just got back from the mail box and opened the announcement for son Tim's Change of Command Ceremony for The 84TH Flight Training Squadron, Laughlin AFB, Del Rio, Texas. Tim will relinquish command and retire from the military after twenty years of service and soon he and Micki will be with us for the reunion week of July 10TH on the island.
I propose a Guinness toast at The Shamrock that evening to start our couple off on their new life and to thank them for the sacrifices they have made for all of us.
Thanks long ago to our friend Bondo Bob who first took Tim up flying and steered him in that direction! Can't think of a better place than St. James with our friends and family there to share!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Countdown stands at three weeks for The Northern Brotherhood of Geezers Reunion!
Attended a graduation in Ohio yesterday and the sons, daughters and grandkids of The Garden Island Six couldn't hide their excitement with their impending adventure on the island. Not sure if some of them will enjoy the oldies songs on music nights but our boys can hammer some Van Halen tunes on their acoustics although losing something without amplification!
Linda and I, well if we can survive the numerous activities of the first weekend we plan in vegging out the remainder of the week and do what we do best!........... Nada!!!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Happy Birthday to my lovely wife Linda on June 27TH.
Also Happy Anniversary to that same gal on June 30TH,
that would be number 48!
People ask her what has kept us together all those years and
her answer would be "Send him deer hunting every fall "! Wonder what she meant by that?