July 10, 2010 Garden Island Six 40th Reunion

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

Al Biltz wrote:Any help on who might be the resident smallmouth bass fishing guru on Beaver? We have three of us who want to get some wading/casting in the big lake. We used to rent a skiff and go over to the harbor on Garden and landed some nice ones. One of which my cousin had mounted. I imagine there are spots on Beaver that are equally as good!
Also Fly Fishing For Carp - Kevin Morlock is the best in the Mid-West. 15-20 pounds of pulling power on a fly rod is tons of fun! :D He can be found here.
http://www.beaverisland.org/hunting-and ... index.html

Great story about fishing Beaver Island area by Brandon Butler can be found here.
http://www.beaverisland.org/hunting-fishing/index.html
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Steve!
I have been following the carp fishing stories around the islands! Years ago back in Ohio we had some friends that lived on the Vermilion River. The lady and her husband lived for catching carp which we all looked down at relative to table fare. She brought in smoked carp to the office and we couldn't get enough! It was outstanding! Do the boys over at the smokehouse prepare carp?
Sure goes good with a cold one after a day in the sun!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Looks like Saturday, July 10TH will find The Geezers all headed to The Shamrock around seven for burgers and suds. First night on the island although many will be over on Sunday as well. Need a good band to help brush off the "road dust"! Keep us posted on entertainment island wide as we get closer so I can post it on Facebook!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Thinking back this morning of 1975 on Garden Island. The weather was beautiful when we told Paul K that we wanted to camp on the north end instead of our usual Post Office site. Paul said, Big mistake! If it gets bad I can't get out to pick you boys up! About three days into the hunt the biggest storm I've seen pounded the islands and took down our tents. We had one tent that remained dry and we took turns sleeping and playing cards. You guessed it! No Paul on pickup day! Wives calling the island (Beaver), a new set of twin boys at home! Deep doodoo for this guy! We were several days late getting home but a lesson was learned! Don't challenge The Gales of November!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

This year our family rented The Haggard House for the week. It seems to be close to McDonough's and close enough to allow foot traffic for our friends and family at the motels. I get up early so while allowing Linda and the boys to sleep in I can get my coffee fix at Dalwhinnies.
Sunday will be the Big Baggo Tournament in the afternoon followed by trophy presentations. Monday island tours and some music and then a lot of the crowd is heading out on Tuesday. Rest of the week is relax before Musicfest and then Whitey at The Rock on Friday.
Hoping to check out some homes farther out on the shore for next year! Stay Warm! AB!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

So far, 36 people committed to "Geezer on Beaver Reunion"!
a little slow until we get some warm weather and folks thinking in that direction. Target is 60! All heading to The Shamrock 7:30 July 10th!
Linda and I are headed to sunny San Antonio to wish my grand daughter the happiest life ever at her wedding at the Riverwalk.
70 degrees and sunny needed to thaw out the old bones!
Son Tim retiring from the USAF as a Lt Col after twenty years. Thank God for his safety after flying C-130's over Afghanistan. He and Micki will join us on Beaver in July!
Good health to island friends and quiet seas in July for our Geezers and Geezeretts!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Back at it again! Working at getting those "hard working" Geezers from Ohio, Michigan,NC and even Florida up for the festivities the week of July 10th!
It may get repetitive for our island friends but quite a few of our people do not have Facebook which is my main means of communication on the Reunion. I am using the Forum as well and at the same time giving them an advanced flavor for"what goes on Beaver".
If our folks have a red, white and blue shirt, blouse or hat bring it along for our belated 4TH celebration and photos! If you have "a bit o the Irish" in ye bring that green to wear as well. If you don't have it there are a whole lot of island establishments who will be glad to sell you a shirt or hat! Even if the name is BILTZ my grandma was a SHEEHAN!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Well we added another couple to the Geezer Reunion. Larry and Janet from Wadsworth Ohio will be joining the festivities and adding another guitar player to the mix. Laurain's is just about full for the weekend and we have a good number of "Undecideds" to go so call the motels and book em up!
Some of our favorite female vocalists may be on the island at that time so music lovers will get a break and not have to listen to the author's screeching. Should be a blast!
President: "Northern Brotherhood of Geezers"
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Just a quick question folks!

Is Dalwhinnies currently THE place for breakfast on the island?
Our folks are asking where the early morning coffee, sausage and eggs will be and I don't think Shamrock and Stoney Acres is serving in the mornings! Many will probably cook in their motel room but the gals are saying, "We are on vacation and we are not touching a frying pan!" This is, of course, week of July 10TH.
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

AL,

The full meal deal is right here - menus and all. :D

http://www.beaverisland.org/restaurants/index.html
Chamber of Commerce
www.BeaverIsland.org
Chamber@BeaverIsland.org
(231) 448-2505
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Thanks Chamber!
Forgot that Daddy Franks serves breakfast! Close by Laurains for walkers! Paradise Bay will be an option for those with mobility! I know Dalwhinnies is great, spent many mornings there! Theresa always has some goodies at their place as well! As soon as the entertainment line up is set for July 10TH evening let me know!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Back from a great week on The Riverwalk in San Antonio for our Granddaughter's wedding! What a great time! All four boys and their families were down and we had a blast!
Back to planning The Geezer Getdown! We added five more people with son Bill, Michelle Cory, Allyson and Jenna coming up for several days. Another guitar guru in grandson Cory!
Looking forward to seeing everyone week of July 10TH!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Later in the week of July 10TH, after the debauchery of the first weekend is over, we may be looking for someone to do a run to Garden. My brother, who has never been to the islands, is extremely interested in a brief tour and some history of our November home since 1970.
Al Biltz

Introduction of The Beaver Geezer Blues and Boots Band

Post by Al Biltz »

The Grey Geezer, better known as Al Biltz, started this music chaos back in 1960 with The Fabulous Delrays in Elyria Ohio. Known for his lack of guitar skills and singing off key he has never been shy of showcasing his lack of talent in front of slightly impaired audiences. Armed with over 500 songs in the Black Book(450 which he does not know) this Geezer has added an arsenal of Harmonicas to his half full bag of skills. Be prepared for neighbor complaints and law enforcement involvement when this timeless entertainer takes the stage. The Band will be performing at private campfires on 7/11 and 7/12 for the upcoming Geezer Reunion on Beaver Island, Michigan.
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

Mr. Al Blitz,

Thank goodness not everyone is on facebook. Your updates put many a smile on many a face!