July 10, 2010 Garden Island Six 40th Reunion

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Marie!
Thanks for the reply! This may sound trivial but has become a joke with Lin and the boys. Every time we do our walk out to the point I tell them the story but point to a different house. The house was on the inside (left) going out, not on the water. It sat back from the street and had a fairly long driveway, maybe dirt! It seemed like we entered from the side and it wasn't large, downstairs and one room up with beds. Most of our gang was playing cards and Joe and I went to town to fetch some beverages and ran across the gang at Beachcomber. The first couple of years I believe we went to Garden with Phil Gregg, Don Cole or Charlie Martin wish my memory was better. Later we went with Paul K and his sons.
Anyhow my daughter-in law coaxed me into doing a belated journal of our experiences so the four boys have it when dad loses it completely! Ha!
Thanks for the interest, see you all in July!!!
bibabes+2

Post by bibabes+2 »

Al,
I love to pull up the Forum and read your posts. You must be having a blast planning this reunion and well as walking down memory lane. I can only hope that at sometime our group will have the same reunion and great memories, maybe not so adventurous. We already have some but not necessarily fit for print.
Cherly
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Know what you mean Cher! I generally only talk about the "G" rated times! This is what I love to do! I was in sales and marketing my entire life and event planning was a blast. This is especially fun since we have folks of all ages coming up. We want them all to go back with fond memories and a whole new generation who loves the island as we do.
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Just a note that we want to also thank Robert Gillespie and Dan Higdon for rounding out our trips to Garden in later years. Also
Russ and later Kevin and Mike for their help and friendship on the
Islander and Emerald Isle. Barb and her mom at The Shamrock way back when and future owners Eric and Dana.
Wojans Motel was also a welcome sight with the hot showers after freezing our behinds off all week in the tents. We didn't harvest many deer over the years but the memories come back just by looking at the 8 pointer still over our fireplace.
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Anyone! Are they taking vehicle reservations for the ferry yet? I had one of our folks call yesterday and they couldn't raise anyone at BIBCO. I know they want to bring either their van or motorcycle over in July! Thanks.... Al
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

See that BIBCO started taking vehicle registrations on Jan 18th, relayed info to our folks! Linda and I rented John Haggard's place for the week. This should workout great as it will be in town where we can be close to our motel guests. Looking forward to some campfire singalongs, some smallmouth fishing, Musicfest, and maybe a favorite band the following weekend at the Shamrock!!
Dave Roop

Garden Island Six

Post by Dave Roop »

Hi Al:  l remember you guys from the Shamrock , l managed the bar for 3 years, l can tell a couple of stories about Jerry, one night he was in the bar and was feeling pretty good, he started dancing by himself, he would take one step foward and two backwards, a couple of you guys got behind him to catch him if he would fall'Jerry would reach back and tell them to let him alone, that he could dance by himself, the red checkered beanie he wore was his trademark.  GOODE LUCK TO ALL OF YOU Dave
I hope l am the man my dogs thinks I am
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Hey Dave! I remember when you had the bar! Jerry, Bob, High Pockets and Charlie were in The Barnes Group which traveled the same roads as our group with Uncle Joe, John and Big Shine. A lot of steam was let off by all after camping and hunting in the cold on Garden. The first thing we did was turn off the heat when we got to Wojans! Good to hear from you!!!
Dave Roop

gardenislandsix

Post by Dave Roop »

Hey Al::::::here's another good one.

One night in the bar l noticed 3 of the younger boys drinking beer, just two tables over were 3 deputy's sitting drinking coffee. So l casually went over to the table and approached the youngsters and said, l don't know who bought this beer for you and l don't really care, now do me a favor and don't drink in here until the deputy's leave so l took the beer and put it behind the bar, and when the deputy's left l took them 3 fresh beer and said these are on the house, do me a favor if any law officers comes in don't drink in front of them. What some good times there were back then.
You guys sure did have a good time. l did know one of the dad's but l can't remember his name, Dave
I hope l am the man my dogs thinks I am
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Dave ! I am doing some writing while we are on the island. Just some short stories on our adventures while chasing the elusive whitetail.I am sure glad age finally caught up and I can enjoy these years with the grandkids in a more sedentary lifestyle. My wife of 48 years and my four sons finally waited for me to grow up but I have to admit we sure had some good times.
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Any help on who might be the resident smallmouth bass fishing guru on Beaver? We have three of us who want to get some wading/casting in the big lake. We used to rent a skiff and go over to the harbor on Garden and landed some nice ones. One of which my cousin had mounted. I imagine there are spots on Beaver that are equally as good!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Plans continue to move forward for The Geezer Reunion starting July 10th. In addition to our son and daughter in law coming in from Del Rio, Texas our friends from North Carolina will drive up and meet us at The Shamrock Saturday night. Keep the grill hot and the Bud on ice!
gavin.west

Post by gavin.west »

Al,

If your looking for a great guide contact Kevin Morlock at Indigo Guide Service. his website is www.indigoguideservice.com

He guides on the island in June and July and on the Pere Marquette the rest of the year. He can certainly put you on some fish. If your just looking to get pointed in the right direction I can help you out as well. Feel free to give me a call.....I cant post all my hot spots on a public forum...haha

Gavin
269-369-1788
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Thanks Gavin! I'm just looking for some quality time with my four sons! It's been awhile since we got together and did nothing without the pressures of life. Tim is retiring as a Lt. Col. USAF in June and we want to do a lot of nothing and do it well!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Well gang! We are over winter's hump and heading down the other side. Thank God! I imagine the old girl's grasp will last a bit longer up there but The Geezers can see the light!
Our pilgrimage is stuck at 29 people to date. There is a possibility of 42 but I believe the economy may take it's toll as far as travel expense especially for the younger crowd. Many friends and family are in the "wait and see" mode and we are hoping the sun and summer breezes will bring them along. Some are staying for three days as their jobs require attention even during their vacation week.
We are planning to do a couple of campfire singalongs so bring your chair, instrument and voice and sit in a bit! I have a big black cheatbook with a few hundred oldies lyrics but I fear the voice has left with age!