July 10, 2010 Garden Island Six 40th Reunion

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Thanks Cheryl!
I admit the old days (when we were young) might have held a bit more adventure than more recent years. I think my last "party" was one where I brought the whole family up and won the Karaoke contest at The old Rectory. Accidents do happen! One thing about Beaver, people are not pretentious and love to have a good time. Now both our twin sons are guitar players and Lin and I still enjoy catching their bands. Jeremy (Leroy) played in last year's Musicfest with the Whitey Morgan Band. The next family generation laughingly calls us Geezers so we named the reunion"Operation Geezer" after Garden Island Six Reunion "GISR".
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

I am running links on our Face Book page for the island motels so our folks can call in and firm up their room reservations well in advance.
Joyce

Garden Island Reunion

Post by Joyce »

I hope your group will take the time to visit Beaver Island's two great museums. Lots to see.
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Joyce,
Thank you for the suggestion! You bet we will! Linda and I make it a point to hit The Maritime and The Toy Museum each summer when we come up as well as all the Outer island sights, Protar's, RR Engineer grave, etc. The Fishing boat, Gertrude, I believe was Paul K's boat which we spent many an hour on going back and forth to Garden. We also sailed on the Sunny Dawn. I even have a picture of our kids out on the Gertrude running nets with Paul one summer. He and his family stopped by to visit us when we still lived in Ohio.
As we get closer to our reunion I will contact The Chamber to see about purchasing a number of your business directories to hand out before everyone comes up. Do you still have the Harbor Map (cartoon type style) with all the businesses listed and locations?
Joyce

Garden Island Reunion

Post by Joyce »

Al, It's great that you visit all the Historic places, but don't forget the Mormon Print Shop Museum where all the Archives and the Genealogical data base are located. If you could bring your picture of Paul Ken's boat, we would like to scan it so we can have a copy - because I'm sorry to report that the Historical Society was unable to raise the funds to restore it and it went to the "Big Boat Yard in the Sky" last spring.

The "Cartoon" map you mentioned was drawn by Mary Rose Scholl and is available at McDonough's Market.
BIHS volunteer
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Sorry Joyce, My bad! Forgot to mention The Print Shop! It will definitely be on the tour map when we get the newbies out and about. The photo of The Gertrude is just a rough snapshot when
he invited the family out one day in good weather. I will bring it with me! I am researching old slides and found a couple others on Garden that might be of interest. Keep the posts coming as we build interest
and more participants.
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Many thanks to our Garden Island friends, Jim McIntyre and Joane, for their excellent piece in the latest Beacon. I slid down our ice covered drive this morning to retrieve the Sunday paper and found my copy of the Beacon, poured my coffee and never read the mindless news in the paper at all. Somehow special sales at Kohls, Target and Meijer just didn't seem appropriate when I think about the years sliding down the Old Post Office hill to fetch water from the lake. You folks have hit in on the head on "how it was"! Looking forward to seeing you both the week of July 10th!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Looks like we are going to add a little "Retirement Party" to The Geezer Reunion of July10th! Son Tim will be leaving the USAF after 20 years and he and wife Micki will be with us on Beaver all the way from Del Rio, Tx.
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

I took a quick glance at the roster of attendees for the Geezer Reunion this morning. As of today we have a semi strong "YES" for 42 people! The number will undoubtedly dance around before that week. The hardest thing to do is to get the folks to plan ahead that far. Many are talking about "taking their vehicles over". The word from past experience is call now!
A big "Thanks" to Theresa Laurain for her help with our project!
Planning the event will make this winter go a bit quicker!
The Geezers look forward to seeing you all in July.
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

A day of peace and celebration for our friends in God's Country.
So glad Eric and Dana made it home to be with their family!

Merry Christmas from The Geezers!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Black eyed peas, Pork and Saurkraut, A few Hungarian stuffed cabbage, and a little Dewars and water toast to all our Beaver Island friends. An early "Happy New Year!" Looking forward to the week of July10th!

The Chief Geezer !
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Working this week on lining up the entertainment for the Geezer campfires. So far we have five guitars, one bongo/tambourine, one sax/penny whistle, one semi untalented harmonica (me) and a gaggle of would-be vocalists. We may be yelling "Help " to all island musicians!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Many Thanks to Jim McIntyre for the copy of "The Lost Video"! I watched it this morning and although it is nearly twenty years old the faces and places seemed like yesterday. Seeing The Firemen and Bear, who camped with us one year, The Barnes Camp and Bondo and Gerk, unbelievable!. We are glad that Jim M. and Kirk Beyer will be on Beaver this summer to help us throw a little bull around the campfires. One part of the discussion should be "How can we help build the herds back as they used to be on Garden and Beaver"?
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

TRIVIA!!
Help me out folks with a fading memory!
Year was 1971 or 1972. We went to Garden with Greggs or Coles.
Back to Beaver weekend after Nov.15th. Bad storm, no ferry next day! Stayed with boat captain at a home on the harbor, we had upstairs. Lights went out, we were at Beachcomber, either came back on or emergency generator. Met Ed Palmer and country guitar player from Detroit. Phone booth by dock blew over with Uncle Joe in it! Played music until early morning. Captain lent us an old Buick to drive back to house.
Question: I have never been able to show the family the HOUSE we stayed at and I know it wasn't a dream!! Any ideas???
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Al,

Was the house on the lake side and near the lighthouse at Whiskey Point?