July 10, 2010 Garden Island Six 40th Reunion

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Al Biltz

July 10, 2010 Garden Island Six 40th Reunion

Post by Al Biltz »

Thank you in advance for all the help in planning our group's 40th reunion of our first trip to Beaver and our first hunt on Garden.
What started out as a family outing next summer has ballooned into a group of over 30 family and friends with the potential of 50. We will be renting cottages and staying at island motels and I am sure will dedicate a lot of time to the restaurants and pubs.
I want to thank all of the islanders for the hospitality they have offered our group over the years, starting way back with Bill Wagner, including all the boat captains who braved a lot of rough seas to put the crazy Ohio group on Garden's shores in November. A special thanks to the Fire Rescue Squad who beat the swamps over there searching for Uncle John lost for nearly two days.
We have many fond memories of your home and have brought our families back for many summers. There are only three of us left from
1970 but we will never forget our Uncles, Joe, John and Big Shine.
So, with the good lord willing, see you all July 10th!
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

How well I remember most of those 40 years!!!
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Thank goodness for The Gillespies keeping us out of trouble! Well most of the time!
Kirk Beyer

Garden Island Hunters

Post by Kirk Beyer »

Since we are remembering garden island hunters, how about my Dad Jerry Beyer I think he started hunting the island in 1970 also.
I remember him telling me about John being lost.
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Absolutely Kirk! A great guy! Why don't you try and join all of us the week of July 10th, if only for a couple of days? I was working on my old 35MM slides last night and hope to get them put into a DVD. As I push toward that 70 year old mark memories often turn back to the Old Post Office, Indian Harbor, State Cabin and the good times at our camps.
Kirk Beyer

Post by Kirk Beyer »

Al, my wife and I were talking about taking a trip to Beaver for this coming summer just the other day, maybe we can meet up with you guys.

Kirk
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Sounds like a plan! Keep us posted! My memory gets hazy but we all started our camps around that time period. There was "Peppy's Group" which is Barnes and Jerry and Charlie, The Picnickers that is us because we had so much food and ate as often as we could and The Firemen who you know well. Several others came a bit later and some were spinoffs from the the original groups.
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

It would be amazing if we could get Ritchie's band and Ed Palmer to do some sets that first weekend of July 10Th. I remember sitting in with Ed on a stormy night in the 70's at the Beachcomber.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

So you ARE still drinking or are you just delusional?
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Nope! True story! I'll tell you all about it when we get up there!
Jim McIntyre

Post by Jim McIntyre »

Hey Al: Just read the Forum discussion on the reunion. Sounds fun.
You might want to check out this months Beacon, my wife and I have
an article about our "return" to Garden. Also would be interested
in helping and or participating next summer. Have lots of
photos...after all they didn't call us The Camera !@#$%$%&&*^ for
nothing. Jim, Northcutt Bay
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

We look forward to it Jim! Probably will have some evening campfires, singalongs, twins, cousins and I may do a little picking. Some of the younguns won't be able to do the bars at night, I can't either anymore! Will do some driving tours around Beaver. If we can swing it we may hitch a ride over to Garden for a hike and let the girls shop.
I heard your CD. Great job. Don't have one but son Bill let me borrow his.
Al Biltz

Post by Al Biltz »

Question for Rich or anyone! One family asked "The distance from one end of town to the other". I guessed that from the Hardware to Lighthouse point was about a mile walk. We've done it every year but at a slow pace. I recommended that folks either bring along bikes or rent them!
bibabes+2

Post by bibabes+2 »

Wow! You guys must be the original partiers we've heard about. What a blast reading about your escapes on the forum. We hope to be there in July to see your group. Keep sharing your plans as they develop.
Cheryl
Kirk Beyer

Post by Kirk Beyer »

Al, my wife says shes in so if all goes well we'll see you in July. Please keep us posted.

Kirk