Right-wing coup starts again

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

cherie

right wing coup starts again

Post by cherie »

:lol:

Here we go again. Isn't politics grand?

The article showed where a Florida Circuit Court Judge Kevin Davey issued a temorary injunction last week preventing the sate putting Nader on the 2004 ballot,siding with a Democratic challenge .A hearing on a permanent injunction is scheduled for Wednesday.But Roberts said Hurricane Ivan,headed for Florida's Gulf coast,had raised "a substancial question as to when such a hearing" will take place.

I didn't read anything where Hurricane Ivan is being blamed for this.

Am I mis-imformed?

I'm a Democrat.
Cherie
Lee

Let me spell it out for you

Post by Lee »

You ask, are you "mis-imformed"? Actually, the word is "informed", Cherie, and apparently you missed the meaning of the article. So I'll walk you through it:

At the end of a long legal struggle in Florida over the legality of including Ralph Nader on the state ballot for the November presidential elections, Circuit Court Judge Kevin Davey ruled that Nader's Reform Party did not qualify as a national party under state law, and issued a temporary injunction against Florida putting Nader on the 2004 ballot. (I'm just assuming here that the circuit court judge is more knowledgeable of Florida state law than, say, you or I.) A hearing on a permanent injunction was scheduled for Wednesday--today. But the state's Elections Director Dawn Roberts, a Jeb Bush appointee, defied the court ruling and instructed 67 county election supervisors to place Nader on the ballot anyway, Roberts accomplished this by having Florida's Department of State file an appeal against the temporary injunction, nullifying it.

Now, why would Jeb Bush's self-appointed Elections Director ignore a direct court ruling in order to place one of George Bush's political opponents on the Florida ballot? Why would the Florida state bureaucracy rush madly to include Nader as a presidential candidate, refusing to wait just two days for the court's final decision on the matter? I'll tell you why. Because on Saturday, thousands of absentee ballots will be mailed to out-of-state Florida citizens, many of them soldiers stationed overseas. And Jeb Bush wants Nader on those voting forms because he knows darn well that Nader's presence on the ballot will draw votes away from John Kerry, effectively splitting the anti-Bush votes, thus ensuring that Florida, once again, goes to Bush. It's called splitting the ticket, and it's been done before in politics.

And what was the reason the Florida Director of Elections gave for this last minute 'emergency' inclusion of Nader on the ballot?Dawn Roberts explanation goes something like this: "Well folks, seems they's a hurracain on the way, and that there court ruling (which was widely expected to keep Nader off the ticket) might just not happen anyway cuz a' the storm and all--so we'll just bypass the courts and the will of the people and put Nader on the ticket our ownselves."

And here's the part at the end that you might have missed, Cherie: the state capitol of Tallahassee, where the circuit court hearing is to be held, isn't even in the direct path of Hurricane Ivan. It's many miles away.

So: this whole cheap and sleazy maneuver is a glaringly obvious ploy to give Florida's electoral votes to Jeb's brother George, by hook or by crook--and there are plenty of both in Florida electoral politics, the Governor being the biggest crook. But that trait runs in the family, obviously. If Bush can't be elected legally, he'll be installed illegally, according to Republican tactics.

The fact that all of these tricks, and worse, happened four years ago should ring some warning bells for any citizen with an ear to hear. But amazingly, people today can read an article like the one I posted and come away saying, "Huh? I don't see anything wrong there." Wow.

Isn't politics grand?, you ask sarcastically. I don't know if it's grand, Cherie but it does determine little things like your future, your job security, your access to health care, education, and legal justice. It does shape how much or how little freedom you'll have in this country. It does affect how our nation will behave around the world, and how the world will view, and react to, us. From the smallest details of your daily life to the bigger issues, politics is the driving force. But most American's today say, hey, don't worry about it. Kick back. Click the tv remote. Read People Magazine. And quit nagging me about all that pesky 'political' stuff, will ya?
cherie

I don't believe everthing I read in the paper

Post by cherie »

Lee, Unlike you I don't believe everything I read in the newspapers or what I watch on tv thank you very much.

Our media has a way of stretching the truth.

I don't base my opinion(s) about something or someone soley based on someone elses opinion(s) whether it be by a reporter and such.

My husband and I vote Democrat and even they tell lies,cheat on their wives and make all these campagin promises too.So where does either party have the right to point the finger at the other one? Both sides should have enough dirt to clean out of their own closets.

Both parties have for years tried to steal as you call it votes away from one another.

Republicans and Democrats alike are all multi-milliionaires and do you really think and believe they care about us pee ons? I DON'T THINK SO! Who do you think is paying their high salaries? WE ARE Chum!
If anyone believes what either party tells us then there's some land I'll sell you on the moon.

There's still homeless people whereever you look,we're still having wars.Both Kerry and Edwards talk about bringing our troops home.
There's still some of our troops who have been in some of those countries for years and years.

Is there a magic wand that's going to make all this go away. I think we need to get off the Wizard of Oz train and face the facts folks we're sinking so get out the life boats.

Cherie
Rich

Post by Rich »

Lee, I saw your post yesterday and thought, oh hell, here we go!! We, (citizens) could spend all day and night for the rest of our lives sorting the mess out (political) and have one thing left, perhaps, at the end (Marble headband time!! :D ). Nothing, or none of us will have made such a significant difference unless we took the time to travel to Washington and fight all our lives for change. You infer that the rebels in office did heinous things, I would argue (as I have) that it "ain't" worth reprinting the statiionery!!! The only point I am trying to make is..........hold on to your beliefs, but......... if you think that you can prevail with media quotes, on either side of the so called 2 party system, you lost me at the gate. People in this country, thank God, have the right to their opinon, you would argue that the "Republicans" are trying to take that away, I could just as easily argue that the Demorats gave it away and are now wishing they had it back, don't get nervous, be American, and love your country and accept things come what may, you are not faced (at least in this generation) with the gullitine (sic), but damn it, your tongue would have been cut out most anywhere else by now. God Bless America, defend it, love it and hold it very dear!! Never saw you before (I don't think) but you might not, nor I, like what you look like in a Burka!!!!! Peace!!! No matter who rules!!!!
Big Lou

Interesting thought process but...

Post by Big Lou »

I would have to disagree with my friend Rich. The "come what may" comment sounds a lot like "take it up the rear and like it". I don't see myself subscribing to that point of view...

For those of you looking for some truth in the world, give a listen:

http://www.airamericaradio.com
cherie

Good guys from the bad guys

Post by cherie »

How do you tell the good guys from the bad guys cause,they all look the same to me.

There are people without jobs,affordable medical care, homelessness,our home security is in ruins, the war in Iraq isn't getting any better.From what I've been hearing the war in iraq could turn into a civil war.

All the Democrats and Republicans can talk about is what happened
over thirty years ago regarding Kerry's vietnam service record and Bush's national guard record. "Who Cares" :roll: We're never going to hear the truth anyway.

I'm more concerned with how things are now then I am about the Bush and Kerry thing.Both sides are using this stuff about Kerry and Bush to take away from the real issues.The news media is just as much to blame.

Michael Landon made a statement when he appeared on a talk show. "We don't have to worry about another country coming over here(United States) to distroy us because,we're doing a pretty good job on our own.

Now that the ban on assault weapons has expired things could get real interesting.

This whole thing just makes me ill.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Cherie, That is exactly what I am saying, we are getting very "French" in this country and I have said for many years that the United States is the most incredible system of government and longest standing, in the history of the world and it works, why?, because we have not had time to destroy the consitution that our brilliant forefathers put before us, sadly though, we are working on it through greed and apathy!!!!!![/u]
cherie

Couldn't resist these political quotes

Post by cherie »

We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

The 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance:
The growth of democracy,the growth of corporate power,and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

A politician should have three hats. One for throwing into the ring,one for talking through,and one for pulling rabbits out of if elected.

To bad that all the people who really know how to run the country are busy driving taxi cabs and cutting hair. George Burns

It is unexcusable for scientists to torture animals;let them make their experiments on journalists and politicians.

Ninety-eight percent of the adults in this country are decent,hard working,honest Americans.It's the other lousy two percent that get all the pubilicity.But then, we elected them. Lily Tomlin

The political and commerical morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter,they are an entire banquet. Mark Twain

Those that say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is.
Lee

Post by Lee »

You can bash politicians all you want, Cherie, sure. Its always easy to blame them for our problems, make them the scapegoat. But its the public that puts them in there in the first place, and the public that doesn't vote when it should, and the public that complains afterward. And its the public thats usually too dumb to tell the difference between any politician, good or bad. To dumb to figure out on their own "who to believe". So you just lump everyone together and call them all bad guys.

You got a better way to run a democracy, Cherie? Just wondering. Maybe you can figure out a better way than electing public representatives to operate the country. Maybe we could just let housewives do it from home?

The first solution to problems is to be smart enought to know what the problems are in the first place. If you can't even get to that step, it's pointless. Americans are less and less educated and informed, to the point where they can't even MAKE decisions. It's pathetic. Then we get people like you complaining every time politics are even discussed. You want everyone to shut up and stay stupid, right? Well, you've certainly got half of that equation down. Now maybe you get the shutting up part down too. Buh-bye...
Rory Connaghan

Post by Rory Connaghan »

my my my aren't we upset

Post by Guest »

:lol: Lee, sticks and stones can break my bones but your words can never hurt me.

You're the one who started this. If you can't stand the heat then you shouldn't open mouth and insert your feet. I've slayed bigger dragons then you.

I maybe a woman and probably considered to be just a housewife but I can stand my ground when I have to.

:roll: It's people like you who make this world a joy to live in.

I see nothing wrong with using alittle humor.Laughing is good for the soul.You should try it sometimes.

Oh well you do your thing and I'll do mine.
Rory Connaghan

Post by Rory Connaghan »

www.toostupidtobepresident.com
www.bushflash.com
Be sure to click "Animations" on both sites. Toostupid.. will make you laugh...Bushflash will make you....er...really mad.
Jeff Culver

Right-wing coup starts again

Post by Jeff Culver »

http://www.wearabledissent.com/101/floridavote.html

Very funny, but also with a bit of truth. :wink: