DIRECTV THIS WEEKEND

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

whennen

DIRECTV THIS WEEKEND

Post by whennen »

My self and another technician will be installing Directv this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Call me at (231) 838-5921 to set an appointment time!

We will work at night too!

First come, First served

I will take calls from 7:00am tomorrow.
If I don't answer leave a message with your name and number. I will return the call ASAP
Thanks
Michael Whennen
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

If you do signup for directv, my advice would be: get everything in writing, do not signup based on a rate promised over the phone alone, and be sure to ask what exactly you need to do and when to get the price quoted. We got upsold over the phone to what seemed like a great deal. Our first invoice was prorated so we paid it and didn't look at it closely enough. Then the next was more that it should have been. When we called to inquire, they said we had to fill out a rebate form that no one had told us about, neither the person on the phone or our installer, and that we never saw. When we said, sure, send us the form or tell us which form to submit and where and we will fill it out, they said 'sorry it's now too late, so you're locked into your contract at this higher rate and won't get the price we promised you over the phone'

Now our installer went out of his way to install on our roof, so I don't direct this towards the installer, but it sure will be nice to get out of the directv contract since I feel they treated us in a very dishonest, unhelpful, and unfriendly fashion.
JodyAckermann

-

Post by JodyAckermann »

---
Last edited by JodyAckermann on Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Hopefully it was just a fluke and we're the only ones they ripped off. In hindsight, if we would have just used a credit card instead of a debit card we would have had easy recourse so that was our mistake #1. We did have several calls with them and they wouldn't budge based on the fact that we did not send in the rebate card that they never supplied us with nor told us to send in, and it was now too late supposedly. It was probably partially our mistake for thinking it was as simple as ordering on the phone for the price they said and paying that price. We should have set aside an hour to go through the fine print and quiz them on the details. Or if we had just ordered online instead we would probably not have been misled. As it turned out, I don't think in the last 20 years we've dealt with a company that was nearly as frustrating to deal with. If you see a directv dish in the wood chipper, that means our directv contract is finally up!

On the other hand, I did appreciate the installer going up on our roof on a cold day to get us installed. He could have easily said that he would have to come back for good weather, so that was nice of him. I don't think the installers have any control over what the sales people quote you on the phone or what the billing department decides to bill you or the disconnection between the two.
Dana D

Post by Dana D »

To those who are considering DirectTV, I can only say that Jeff's experience is not unique. I have also experienced their switch and bait tactics. What their website and sales people sell, may not be the same as how the actual contract reads. At least, that was the case with the contract I recieved upon installation. I tried to resolve the issue the next day and was assured that that my concerns were unfounded. A manager was to return my call to confirm this he didn't return my call. When I finally did get through to a manager, I was told that you only have so many days to cancel after installation, and that time was up. I got stuck with a teaser rate that was only good for a portion of the contract.

I would suggest checking out the Better Business website. When comparing negative feedback issues between DirectTV and DishNetwork, DirectTV has a lot of negative issues to overcome.