Celluar Service

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Rich

Celluar Service

Post by Rich »

Hey everyone! Your help is needed to improve cellular coverage on the island. Not only is it abysmal at best but coverage on the outer islands where many people camp would be better as well. Mr. James Carrow from Cellular One is looking for support. If he receives enough letters of support he already has approval to make system improvements. As I understand it, the North end of the island would receive a tower that is now something slender and around 80-100'. The antennas now are about 12" wide x 5' in height so not as ugly as some we have seen in the past. He tells me they are going to update the switch on the tower now just south of PaudEenOg's Road to GSM which is the European standard and all digital. If another tower were placed on the North end coverage would be pretty good, and if the US government would allow an antenna on their already existing tower at the South End Beaver Island would have excellent coverage. Anyway, please e-mail Mr. Carrow at james.carrow@dobson.net and let him know that Beaver Island needs improved cellular service for communications and public safety. Thanks, Rich

P.S. His snail mail address is: Jim Carrow, 1151 US 31 North, Petoskey, MI 49770 or call 231-675-6775 (Mobile)
Rich

Post by Rich »

Good news, your e-mails and calls made a difference. There will be a cellular antenna installed in the village area which will make a huge difference for call quality. Zoning approval was given last night. As I understand it there will be an antenna installed on the roof of the hardware store which will be inconspicous but very helpful. Hopefully it is a step toward filling in many holes that exist. Thanks to Jim Carrow and Cellular One for their efforts!!!