Garden Island Native American Cemetery

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

cherie

Garden Island Native American Cemetery

Post by cherie »

I visit the Bever Island website quite often and are amazed at all the interesting articles and great photos.

Could someone tell me something about the Native American Cemetery on Garden Island?

Cherie Tebo Eck
bernie

GARDEN ISLAND CEMETARY

Post by bernie »

:D GOOD MORNING: I havn't been to the cemetary since I was a little girl and that was more than a few decades ago. There were some rather ornate huts built over the graves. The wooden carvings were scalloped and done beautifully. I hope it hasn't deteriorated to much. Sorry I couldn't tell you more. Have a lovely day.
cherie

Native American Cemetery

Post by cherie »

Hi Bernie, From what I saw in the pictures the cemetery looks in pretty bad shape.I found out during my family research that I'm of Indian decent.I'm related to two wel-known Chiefs from the U.P. area by the names of Amable Ance and Joesph Mesawtego (Santigo).

I"ve got a picture of my father and me that was taken fifty years ago and we're in a Chippewa Indian burial cemetery.During my search for my ancestors I showed the picture around the U.P. area and was told that that particular cemetery was in Cross Village.The reason I'm so interested in the U.P. area is,because both my parents and their ancestors were born and raised in the U.P. area. They were mostly from the St. Igance and Cheboygan area.My mother's parents and some of their children were born on Beaver Island and St. James.I have a phtocopy of a store ledger from the Lafreniere store that's on display at the Morman Museum Old Print Shop.According to Mr. William Cashman the house where my grandparents Eugene and Agnes LaBlanc stayed is still intact.Do you know how I could go about posting acouple pictures that I have?

Thanks so much for your reply.
Cherie Tebo Eck
Chris

garden island indian burial grounds

Post by Chris »

I got a chance to visit Garden Island last Friday. It was a short boat ride (thanks to Island Hopper Charters). We were taken on a short hike from shore to the burial grounds. We were told there are thousands buried there. Most were not marked, but some of the more recent ones still had Spirit Houses and offerings. I encourage you to take a trip to Garden to see for yourself. I took quite a few pictures which I get to see tomorrow.
cherie

Hi Chris

Post by cherie »

Hi Chris, How'd your pictures come out. Unforunately I doubt if I'll be visiting Garden Island anytime soon. A year ago we moved from Michigan to Southern Califronia. I think the Island would be alittle hard to commute too :-)

I contacted this forums Administrator about posting some pictures of my Grandmother Agnes LaBlanc-Brown and one of her daughters which you'll see on the Island People section of the photos of the Island. They're standing beside the Old Beaver Island Old Post Office which I was told is still standing if you want to take a look and see. I've been asked by several people how I'm connected to Beaver Island so now they'll be able to see for themselves.

Oh by the way thanks so much for your nice reply.

Cherie