seasonal workers

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

tst

seasonal workers

Post by tst »

any plans on how to board seasonal workers to help with tourist season.It would be nice to see all bussiness open this yr. In many past yrs some places of bussiness not open because of no workers or place to house them,plus sure they did not get paid good enough,at least thats what i heard from new employees and resident/some not all.HOPE THIS PROBLEM IS ADDRESSED,it been going on for yrs.Yes i am a land owner on b.i. hope to retire there in near future!good luck all bussiness owners .tourist season around the corner.kodos all.just my opinion,LOVE AND MISS THE ISLAND<be there spring very soon!!!
JamesBoyle

Re: seasonal workers

Post by JamesBoyle »

Good luck with this one. People are tired of working for just about free everywhere in this country, the island is no exception. I'm sure my response will be deleted cause thats what the mod does here. The Bodega was a joke. I'm not blaming the work staff, they were completely overwhelmed. The wait times for a simple iced coffee was kinds silly. Daddy Franks was downright embarrassing. The wait staff there was borderline catatonic. I mean we went in and ,no lie here, were looked at with zero reply from the people behind the counter. Not a hi or can I help you. I mean is it that hard to say hi, welcome to Daddy Franks? Dalwhinnies was a bright spot, great food and service. I see now it's the Wild Strawberry Cafe, was it sold? I hope not. Paradise Bay is always good, slow but good. Circle M is hit or miss. People don't expect to make 50 grand a year in a seasonal environment but upping the pay a bit and explaining to the workers to be nice isn't that hard. I know the Bodega and Shamrock/Beachcomber are up for sale. They are both a lot of money, which I get, they are all established places. If they are sold maybe things are different?
tst

Post by tst »

wish other residents and land owners get involved,like to hear input to resolve.I have ideas,but not full time resident.Be there in spring would like to talk to people I know on island about situ.I have been coming to island over 10yrs.own property for about 4yrs.have a great day!! TOMMY T
tst

Post by tst »

also what the MOD stand for on island,never heard that before.I am assuming refers to long time residents and money controlled and decision made on island?????
Peaine Twp

Post by Peaine Twp »

I'd like to thank you for the comments and concerns expressed in this thread. My office hours are Tuesday's from 11am - 3pm. Please feel free to stop by and have a conversation. I can share the current initiatives underway, the committees that are working on the issue, and possibly even answer any questions you may have. It's not being ignored, I can promise you that.

Also, MOD means "moderator" and refers to the moderator of this privately funded and monitored website. The forum is not a social media outlet, FYI.

Thank you,

Maria Dal Pra - Peaine Township Supervisor
JamesBoyle

Post by JamesBoyle »

FYI, I know it's not a social media outlet but the mod here is very protective of honesty and facts. There have been several posts removed because people (myself included) had the audacity to speak their minds, bolstered by facts, just to have that post removed because in the mods mod, it hurt his precious little island. I own property on the island. My father was born on the island, I've been coming to the island for 60 years, I know how the island operates. I've seen it with my own eyes.
tst

Post by tst »

thanks for info,will be on island in spring .hope to hear more about situ and have a dicussion with all who wants to talk about.b.i. residents have a great day.Miss be there!!
tst

Post by tst »

I see alot of people looked at my post,but only had two replies,there must be more B.I. residents concered about this situ. than just a few.Please give your take on situ.I would love to hear others opinions.Be on island late april or first week in may,will be there for long stay!!! have a great day hope to hear from all.TOM T.