Life on Beaver Island and What to Consider

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Tabithajz

Life on Beaver Island and What to Consider

Post by Tabithajz »

Hi Everyone. My husband and I are considering moving to Beaver Island. I am an attorney with my own firm and work remotely and my husband is in mathematics/tech. My husband is German and is used to being out in the forest everyday and I got used to it too while living in Germany for a few years. We also have a dog and she loves the water and exploring the woods. Previously, I lived in Chicago for 8 years and prefer the colder climate.

We're now looking to buy a home with a good amount of land for gardening and beekeeping. Our desire is to be part of a community but also have a quiet/peaceful life. We plan on having kids in the next few years so we're hoping to live in a place that's safe, conducive to outdoor activities and has educational opportunities. Wherever we move to, we want to be there long-term.

One more huge factor is that I have a lot of food restrictions because of autoimmuity. I can't have nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, etc), soy, corn, certain legumes and a few more items. Because of these restrictions, we need to be very selective while buying groceries and mostly cook at home. I say this because buying food in our family is a challenge at times. Based on my research, I think the remoteness of BI might take a bit getting used to when it comes to grocery shopping but is doable with proper planning.

I'd love to get feeback from BI residents based on what I've outlined. What are things we need to consider? How is accessibility and remote working? How do you usually manage when it comes to getting supplies and groceries? How is the community?

BI seems to be a wonderful place for the right people, so I'm excited to learn more!
BradG

Re: Life on Beaver Island and What to Consider

Post by BradG »

Great! It’s a wonderful place to live, but there are things to consider. It’s not the mainland so planning is important. I’d be happy to talk to you by phone sometime and give you some thoughts. I’d get as many opinions as you can and consider renting before you buy if you can find a rental. Winter has a way of changing people’s minds! I love it, but it’s not for everyone.

Brad Grassmick
Last edited by BradG on Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbhawk

Post by mbhawk »

Hi. I am a relative newcomer to Beaver Island, but would be very happy to share my thoughts with you. You're welcome to phone me at 231.448.2364. Mary
adambighamorcharding

Post by adambighamorcharding »

Hi. I'm not a resident of BI (yet,perhaps) but I visited earlier this year for a week. The place we rented on the western side of the island had great wifi, and one of the folks I was with was able to work remotely when needed. There's a regular grocery store in town.
Are you beekeepers presently?
PScott

Post by PScott »

Beaver Island is an amazing community. It’s very tight knit as in folks help each other out. As for working from here, you could use StarLink for reliable internet. We recently switched from TDS to StarLink. It has been very fast and reliable for us.
When I first retired, I subbed at the school and can highly recommend it as the teacher/student ratio is ideal for students as they get more individual attention as compared to other school districts.

You’re welcome to call me as well for any questions you may have. 517-712-8156.
Trish Scott
Tabithajz

Post by Tabithajz »

Thank you all for your replies! I'm very curious to know about the weather in the winter and how everyone gets around. It's good to know there are options for remote working.

adambighamorcharding, we are not currently beekeepers but have been preparing for the last year. It just hasn't been the right time yet with us wanting to move.

Brad, Mary and Scott, I will certainly take you up on your offers for a call and will call sometime this week! This would be unbelievably helpful. :D
TaniaRH

Post by TaniaRH »

There are very few places on the island that will support honey bees. You should consider that when looking for land. Think openings which are a bit of a rarity here. Some folks have tried raising bees and it’s been a bit of a challenge. There is also an impact to the native bee populations when you bring in the honey bees. If it’s pollination for gardens and trees you are worried about then I would say that’s not an issue here. The existing native bee and pollinator populations are sufficient to provide excellent fruit set on the many apple trees and wild fruits. It’s actually kind of amazing. I am a beekeeper and living on the island now. I don’t have bees here as I wanted to think seriously about that decision and how it would impact the local native bee populations. Honestly I haven’t decided yet if bringing them here is a good idea. For selfish reasons I want them but is it worth the impact it has on our native bees? The people here are wonderful. I definitely support the recommendation to talk to those living here and to rent before buying. Good luck.
Fish Camp

Post by Fish Camp »

Weather in the winter? I've heard it said that first timers don't last much beyond the latter part of January and then they are gone.
mrdoig

Post by mrdoig »

Hello, I have a beautiful home for sale in the middle of Beaver Island on 10 acre of land on Camp 3 Trail. It is listed on Zillow. 31061 Camp 3 Trail. The home has a wing of the home that has an office and library; as well as, a large sunroom. It has a large clearing, heated greenhouse that has water and a fan to extend the growing season. The house has an energy efficient Veissmann heating system and a large fireplace in the great room. There are fruit trees, berry bushes, and raised beds already in place. There is a gardening/wood shed and a 3 car garage. As a few folks have mentioned there are plenty of bees on the island and looking outside you will see plenty of birds, bees and butterflies. Camp 3 Trail is a birding trail and there is a nice article about beaver island on live.com today. Slainte, Mary Rose
MARY ROSE
BradG

Post by BradG »

Give me a call.231-448-2314

Brad
LV9777

Post by LV9777 »

I agree with Brad that it is smart to rent for a year before you buy. I am able to work remotely from the island and have meetings via TEAMS without difficulty. Amazon and Costco will deliver, but specific items of fresh produce can be difficult to find. I don't reside there full time yet......
It is a wonderful place!! :)
Leslie
BradG

Post by BradG »

Call 231-448-2314

Brad
Daclark

Post by Daclark »

Newish year round resident. We have 2 winters under our belts and looking forward to many more.
Some considerations:
1. When looking for property make sure it is not on a seasonal road otherwise you will need to plow/snowmobile. 4wd/awd car/suv recommended. Snow tires recommended
2. It is overcast most of December and into mid January but the temperatures are "mild" for the latitude as the lake releases its stored heat. Euchre nights and other group activities in town are good for coping.
3. Make the darkness your friend (star gazing and aurora hunting!)
4. Prepare, plan, and plan again.
5. Starlink is a reliable internet solution. At this time, It does require a fairly open northern view of the sky to function without dropouts.