No ORVs on Shorelines

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Pam Grassmick

No ORVs on Shorelines

Post by Pam Grassmick »

People understand that it is illegal to drive anything on the Lake Michigan shoreline. Vehicles can be confiscated and fines issued. If you see anyone actively driving on the shoreline call 911. Otherwise, take photos and send to: CO Chad Baldwin. He has requested to see complaints:

Conservation Officer Chad Baldwin
Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Law Enforcement Division
Charlevoix County
BaldwinC4@michigan.gov
517-648-4974
image18 (1).jpeg
image18 (1).jpeg (209.29 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
image12 (1).jpeg
image12 (1).jpeg (191.04 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
image11 (1).jpeg
image11 (1).jpeg (184.26 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
McGrass
Sailorman Larry

Re: No ORVs on Shorelines

Post by Sailorman Larry »

There have been ORV's on the northeast tip of the island. They drive to the end of Lake Street and on to the beach. Some have been rentals.
medic5740

Post by medic5740 »

There have been lots of ORVs out on the Gull Harbor Road from Whiskey Point all the way around Sucker Point to Lake Drive. Yes, I have seen them since I make this trip at least once every day.

There are also too many young people operating these vehicles in less than safe locations in violation of the age limitations as well.

There is something though that people may not know. ORVs are allowed on all Charlevoix County Roads, and, even though part of the Gull Harbor Road is under water, it is still legally a county road. I'm not suggesting that this is a good thing for ORVs, but we have to make sure that we are following the laws as well as wanting ORV users to follow the laws.

I also believe that the people who rent an ORV should be required to provide renters with the information about what is legal and what is NOT legal, and that the owner of ORVs should make sure that the renters follow not only state law, but local regulations as well. If you take a picture of illegal ORV use, it is important to get the picture to the law enforcement agency. If you don't want to do that, then send your pictures to me, and I'll do it for you.

medic5740@gmail.com
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Good clarification, Joe. Thank you for your offer regarding notifying law enforcement. =D>
McGrass