One Statement and Two Questions

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BI Pirate

One Statement and Two Questions

Post by BI Pirate »

I see where Protar donated $1000 to Rory's GoFundMe which leads me to one statement and two questions. Statement: Well done. Question 1: Did Protar discover Strang's gold? Question 2: If Protar lives, who is buried in Protar's tomb? It's always been rumored that Protar's final wish was that his friends bury him at sea (Lake Michigan) between Beaver and High Islands. Such was illegal at the time which continues to this day. The conspiracy theory is that his friends devised a plot with a burial site at the rock near his house but actually took him out on the March ice to fulfill his final wish.
So now as we contemplate this conundrum of who is buried in Protar's tomb, let us continue well wishes and contributions to Rory. :-) :-) :-)
Last edited by BI Pirate on Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skull&CrossBones
Bob Sramek

Re: One Statement and Two Questions

Post by Bob Sramek »

It was a different Protar. It is Feodor Protar that is in the grave and Fredor Protar that donated.......maybe a Beaver Island cousin?????

Hahahaha!
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Not so fast! It could be one in the same. Check out Antje Price's works on file at the museum on Mr. Protar, orrrr is it Parrot? He went by many names according to her research; Doctor being one of them which he absolutely denied being and objected to people referring to him as one. His birth name was Friedrich Parrot, shortened to Fredor Parrot before coming to America and Beaver Island. To BI he was known as Feodor Protar sometimes misspelled with an "a", Feodar, when referring to his home on BI.
There were many rumors that he changed his name often to possibly escape capture by a Russian Czar or just fleeing from his wife and family who never joined him in America. :? :? :?
Skull&CrossBones
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

What was posed as a simple question, who is buried in Protar's tomb, appears to have conjured up an apparition of past ghostly and bigger than life characters. I see that James Jesse Strang and Bishop Baraga have joined the generous living in contributing to Rory's GoFundMe cause. =D> =D> =D>
Skull&CrossBones
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

I thought Protar went by a number of aliases but he was a amateur compared to Mr. Taylor. Mr. Taylor is no amateur when it comes to supporting the cause with a generous "spirit", pun intended, for inventive alias donations to Rory's GoFundMe. Good job Mr. Taylor, so close to making the $10,000 goal. I take back my mean mouthing you for standing me up when you were here in Key West for a couple of weeks. I thought it might be that you were a skinflint when it came to buying me a few rounds of Rum Runners at the Pirate's Cove. You've redeemed yourself and are forgiven this time.

Talking about skinflints, I want to give a shoutout to my good mate Richie for setting up the GoFundMe account for Rory and Marie. Nice job Rich and donation! Now it's our job to make and exceed the goal. 8) 8) 8)
Skull&CrossBones
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Many thanks to the donors, to you BI Pirate, Ken Taylor (and others) for his/their humor in using aliases and most of all to Richie for starting the fund.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

All the best well wishes to Rory and Marie. Hats off to Richie for getting things started with his setting the GoFundMe up and first donation. It was fun watching the incognito donors creatively supporting the cause. But the biggest thanks goes to all who donated, exceeding the goal. The need is still there so let's keep it going! :D =D> 8)
Skull&CrossBones