Trash left for others to clean up and pay for

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Fschoo

Trash left for others to clean up and pay for

Post by Fschoo »

Hey everyone,

I need to report something that's happened 3 times now... And will affect us all if we can't get a grip on it (and by the way it's one of the very reasons I left the "supposed "real world moved Beaver Island my Home).... So here's the deal:

Less than a week at the corner of Mrs Reddings, and West Side Drive I looked and saw 2 vacuum cleaners and a light bar sitting on the corner (obviously left for others to deal with and pay for).

Then on the way home a couple days later I saw beer cans scattered along our 2 track, and some were even lifted up on the branches "as though to show them off"

And then the day after when driving home, on the way to Fresh Air fthere was the metal remains of an old bar stool (which as of today it still sits there), hopefully I can post the pictures tomorrow

[-X [-X [-X

But look I know I'm not one of the "old guard", but I've loved Beaver Island since the day I came here.

And when looking back and "in my opinion" there are certain things that made me love Beaver Island, and want to live here... And 2 of the most important was how much everyone seemed to treasure this little slice of heaven you own, and your desire to maintain it.

Now please believe me, I "Can Not, and Will Not" point fingers, but I believe all new residents of Beaver need to think about why they came here here in the first place... And it's not Covid, it's because of something more... And it's my belief that it's because of you, and whoever it is that's doing this needs to respect what you'v created the way you have for so long...

In other words... "Keep your __________ing trash to yourself"...!!!

Just my opinion [-X O:) O:)

FPS
mbhawk

Re: Trash left for others to clean up and pay for

Post by mbhawk »

Well said. Let's all work together to keep our island beautiful and trash-free!
mbhawk

Post by mbhawk »

Well said. Let's all work together to keep our island beautiful and trash-free!
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Here are my deep thoughts from Cuba where we encounter similar problems. Someone is thinking about opening a pub at Mrs. Redding's Trail and West Side Drive. The marketing research was to vacuum to place clean, put out a bar stool and drink a 6 pack or two to determine if the ambiance is correct for such a venture.
Another thought is the individual is a dumbass jerk that doesn't care about the beauty of Beaver Island, the environment or others. After a couple of rums and discussing it with friends, I'm going with my second thought. [-X ](*,) :x
Skull&CrossBones
Polly

Post by Polly »

Call me Pollyanna, but there are some other thoughts to consider. Several years ago I got some of my favorite dishes along the road on Kings highway, so there is a long history of sharing your unwanteds. Usually people put the treasures on the road in front of their home or driveway. That way they can take care of it if no one wants the stuff within a few days. Recycling is better than trashing. About those beer cans... some, not all, adventurous drivers don’t want to be caught with a vehicle full of beer cans, so they “put” them where they can be retrieved by a fun loving walker. God knows I need the exercise. Thank you, love, Polly.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Great thinking Polly! Got anything you don't want, throw it along the roads for Polly or someone to pick it over. Make BI Beautiful and the heck with a trip to the Resale Shop. Cuba is looking better each day. Hope to be back for a visit in August and hopefully there will be a bumper crop of pickings along the roads. Call me Pollyain'ta #-o #-o #-o
Skull&CrossBones
Fschoo

Post by Fschoo »

Ummmm,

There's a right way and wrong way to do things o matter where you live. But leaving non-functional trash in the middle of the road is "Wrong" no matter how you slice it. The resale shop accepts donations of items that have some worth. But beer cans left along our 2 track is not something I want to clean up after especially when its just as easy to drop it off at the transfer station (where it has some value for the island.

By not deterring it, you promote it. And if some want to be kind and sympathetic to these "Uhhhh, the Litterbugs?", then maybe we should recognize their kindness, and declare their property the new transfer station.

Also there are laws that exist everywhere against littering.

As for me, if I ever find out who is doing these things they will get a piece of my mind and more...
rbnmil

Post by rbnmil »

Here we go with the "Newbies" again. Trust me, we are the ones who know what the real world looks like!! I believe all of us came for the Island and it's awesome beauty. Tourists maybe, or people who have no idea what they have here!