Internet and Phone Providers

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Vino Blanco

Internet and Phone Providers

Post by Vino Blanco »

We are moving to the island and would appreciate any recommendations in regards to providers of internet, land line phone and cell phone.
Also, any and all recommendations of basic services would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.
BeanieBeanstalk

Re: Internet and Phone Providers

Post by BeanieBeanstalk »

Welcome to the island! I look forward to meeting you. In the mean time, here are some brief answers to your questions.

1) There is only one land line provider TDS. Call 888-235-5837. There is a full-time TDS guy on the island, but you need to call the number I gave you first.

2) There are two cell service providers: Verizon and ATT. Which one you choose can sometimes depend on where you live on the island. Ask your neighbors what works best for them.

3) I may not be fully up-to-date about internet providers, but I can tell you what I know. Because TDS is the only land line service it is the primary internet provider. Most people get a router in order to have WIFI. Several places on the island offer free WIFI, such as the library, some restaurants, and the community center. That is why sometimes (especially in the summer) you will see cars parked outside the library even when it is not open. The other option, and the one I prefer, is the unlimited data on my phone. But I live in town and therefore have good Verizon reception.

There is considerable on-going effort to improve internet access here. Just search the Forum and you'll see.

As for other basic services, Beaver Island is just like the mainland in that we need more workers. Money does not necessarily "talk". We tend to be devoted to our families and our senior citizens regardless of money. The most important service you need to line up is snow-plowing your driveway. Unless you have a way to do it for yourself, you could become stranded in a bad winter, and that is dangerous. After that, the services of house cleaning and mowing can be searched in the Forum or other public communication. If you haven't already done so, become a member of Beaver Island This and That on Facebook. If you are a land owner, join BIA, the Beaver Island Association. This group tackles all kinds of issues. And besides that, they're fun people.

If you want to hire someone to do chores other than cleaning or mowing, the going rate is $20/hr. Putting an ad on a website won't do much. Word of mouth and direct phone calls work. We have talented and licensed providers of building, electrical, plumbing, excavating, tree removal and more, but you'll have to "get in line". Last year I knew I wanted my floors replaced. In August I came to an agreement with my favorite contractor, Denny Keehn, and he was able to get to me in November. BTW he is licenced, experienced, courteous, tidy, efficient, trustworthy and precise in his workmantship. Call him at 231-838-0973 or 231-448-2141.

I could get more detailed, but it's time for me to work-out. Best of luck, and again, WELCOME! Feel free to call me at 231-448-2035 (cell). Barb
skasbaum

Post by skasbaum »

On the cell phone question, Verizon is by far the best carrier in terms of island wide coverage. We had ATT until this time last year and past mid island rarely got signal. Now with Verizon we have consistent coverage all the way to our home on Fox Lake and better service in general around the island. However, their plans were more expensive than ATT, but I would say the benefit of consistent service far outweighed that price difference.

Good luck!
Scott
PScott

Post by PScott »

Depending on where you live, you might need a booster tied to your internet to get cell service in your home. We live at southeast end of the island and have a cell booster. We have a land line in case we lose power and can’t use our cell phones. As for power interruptions, they are shorter than where we live downstate. The island has a hero, Mike, that prides himself on restoring power very quickly.
Even with saying all that, internet service can be slow when there are lots of people on the island. It can also drop you now and then. We need better internet service and coverage and there are plans to upgrade. There are still places on the island where you won’t get a signal. Then it’s best to go into airplane mode so your battery doesn’t drain looking for a signal.
Trish Scott