Satellite Internet

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

jgoeke

Satellite Internet

Post by jgoeke »

Hi, does anyone have any knowledge or experience in satellite internet installation on the island? I know Viasat and Hughesnet advertise rural service with free installation, but has anyone actually used them? I am a mile and a half from the nearest phone line drop, so TDS is not an option for me. Thanks.
BeanieBeanstalk

Re: Satellite Internet

Post by BeanieBeanstalk »

I know someone here who had it. I’ll send you a private message on this website.
forrest.powers

Post by forrest.powers »

For the longest time satellite internet has really been an absolute last ditch service if you absolutely need better than dialup speeds, however over the last year SpaceX has launched Starlink and it's an absolute game changer. While the startup fees may be slightly higher it is truly lightyears ahead of Hughesnet and Viasat.

It's currently in a somewhat limited beta (10,000 + users) but my Dad has it on Burt Lake and absolutely loves it. The initial startup fees may be higher ($500 for the dish), but there are no caps, and no bandwidth limits. When you get the antenna it actually aligns itself with the 1000+ satellites currently in orbit.

I highly advise placing a deposit with Starlink over one of these other services. https://www.starlink.com/
jgoeke

Post by jgoeke »

BeanieBeanstalk wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:32 pm I know someone here who had it. I’ll send you a private message on this website.
Thank you
jgoeke

Post by jgoeke »

forrest.powers wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:31 pm For the longest time satellite internet has really been an absolute last ditch service if you absolutely need better than dialup speeds, however over the last year SpaceX has launched Starlink and it's an absolute game changer. While the startup fees may be slightly higher it is truly lightyears ahead of Hughesnet and Viasat.

It's currently in a somewhat limited beta (10,000 + users) but my Dad has it on Burt Lake and absolutely loves it. The initial startup fees may be higher ($500 for the dish), but there are no caps, and no bandwidth limits. When you get the antenna it actually aligns itself with the 1000+ satellites currently in orbit.

I highly advise placing a deposit with Starlink over one of these other services. https://www.starlink.com/
I have heard of it, but wasn't sure if it would be available (outside of beta) for a couple of years. Amazon is also supposed to launch Sat internet in 2023. Thanks for taking the time to respond, John
BMcCaw

Post by BMcCaw »

Brendan McCaw
BobTidmore

Post by BobTidmore »

jgoeke

Post by jgoeke »

Thanks!
sidburgess

Post by sidburgess »

FYIW, I did order their kit and they say it's suppose to be available "in your area" mid to late 2021. I'll update when I get it and of course, any results.
jgoeke

Post by jgoeke »

Thanks, good luck with your install
pmagz

Post by pmagz »

Hi. I signed up for Starlink a while ago as an alternative to cable internet services. There is an interesting video about it on this thread. When I signed up they said it would be available mid to late 2021. It might be worth looking into for those that are fed up with TDS.