On a lighter note

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BeanieBeanstalk

On a lighter note

Post by BeanieBeanstalk »

Joddy inspired me to move here. The Beaver Beacon had an article about Joddy fulfilling a life-long dream of driving backwards around the island. When I read that, maybe 18 years ago, I jumped out of my chair and shouted

"THESE ARE MY PEOPLE!"

Today I started my own BI goal: To walk down the CENTER of Main Street and Michigan Avenue, from Happy Paddle to the light house - AND BACK - without sharing that stretch of road with a single moving vehicle. When I left my house at 7:37 this morning, the temp was above freezing, winds at only 5 mph, no precip expected and besides all that, it's Sunday. Now remember, I don't just walk. I JIVE to my rock and roll (Santana, Queen, Pharrell Williams, Chicago, the Beatles and Michael Jackson). I jive BECAUSE IT'S FUN and it increases my ability to stay balanced when I'm doing other things.

My first ecounter was a young couple walking a big dog and a little dog. They seemed afraid to say hello. Then, about at Livingstone Studio, a really ugly small truck appeared and I moved over. GAME UP. NO PRIZE TODAY. And then I thought, "Hey! This is Beaver Island! Who says I have to get out of the middle of the road when a car is coming?" The ducks don't. Then I thought of Deputies Nicole and Joe. They can look pretty mean when they want to.

On the way back, a walker in bright red turned onto Freesoil to avoid me, and another remarkably ugly truck came behind me and I got over a LITTLE bit. That's when I thought of the challenge.

Of course, there could be all kinds of variations, but I'm trying to behave myself, at least for a few days.
Last edited by BeanieBeanstalk on Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lindawearn@gmail.com

Re: On a lighter note

Post by lindawearn@gmail.com »

Good for you, Barb! Thanks for the "heads up" about your walking adventure. Once the word is out you won't seem like a crazy lady.
BeanieBeanstalk

You just don't know me very well.
AndyS

Post by AndyS »

Glad to see you are making an effort...

Sally
Jake&Heather

Post by Jake&Heather »

This is why, we too, want to move to BI! Good luck in your quest.
Bucky Guy

Post by Bucky Guy »

Cowabunga !! 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
BeanieBeanstalk

Oh, man. Soooo close. I was within 50 feet of the finish line and JoJo appears and drives past me. YIKES! And I put my arms out to tell her to stop but she (understandably) thought it was just another of my Jive moves. That's what I get for being crazy, I guess.

But let me tell you about my friend Mr. Freight Train. Watching him plow through all the demands and challenges in his life, has demonstrated a new way for me. My dear parents basically taught me manners, how to write a check and how to throw a really great party! But nothing about goals or persevering. Taking care of Joe to the bitter end just came naturally to me because it was morally the right thing to do. But selecting a goal just to have a goal has been foreign to me.

So!!! Thanks to JoJo I still have my goal. And you can continue to laugh at me. And PLEASE DO! After all, that's my real goal.
Avandyke

Post by Avandyke »

Barb that one really hit home. There’s an early jazz magazine I collect, called the jazz record. It had a run of about 60 issues. It’s been great fun tracking down the issues over the years, initially at antique stores, and later on eBay. Finally I had all 60 except for number three! About once a week I’d go on eBay to check for that elusive issue. And then a couple years ago, it showed up. I immediately ordered it. But then something happened that I’ve never had happened before on eBay. I got an email from the seller, and they said they were so sorry, but they went to pack the magazine for me and couldn’t find it. Somehow they lost it between posting it for sale, and me buying it just a couple days later. I went around in a fog of disappointment for a few weeks, and then came to the same realization you did. Now the hunt can go on. And sometimes the pleasure of anticipation is greater than the pleasure of reaching the goal. Or at least that’s what I tell myself. If I told myself with complete honesty, I still think I want number 3, and the pleasure of anticipation can go hang. O:)
BeanieBeanstalk

I can definitely relate to Anticipation vs Having It. But I'm not as virtuous as you, Audrey. I want BOTH!