COVID-19 PUBLIC STATEMENT

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

St. James Township

COVID-19 PUBLIC STATEMENT

Post by St. James Township »

Beaver Island Public Statement regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
Last Updated: November 22, 2020

Notice of Closure of BI Transfer Station
Until further notice the BI Transfer Station is closed, due to a positive COVID-19 employee exposure. The decision was made in compliance with the Townships’ COVID-19 Preparedness and Response Plan. The closure will allow all transfer station employees to self-quarantine and seek testing and will allow for a thorough cleaning. More information will be posted as it becomes available.

“Pause… Protect Yourself, Protect the Island”
Everyone, please do all you can to protect yourself and your Island community from the spread of Covid-19. If you are sick, have been around someone who has tested positive, or are awaiting Covid-19 test results yourself, do not travel to Beaver Island. If you are already on Beaver Island when these situations arise, take every precaution to quarantine yourself from others and contact health officials.

If you come into close contact with someone who tests positive, or you think you may have been exposed, you should quarantine for 5 days from potential exposure and then get tested. BIRHC has plenty of test kits and the results are typically returned within 2 days.

Link to Health Department of Northwest Michigan: http://www.nwhealth.org/covid19.html This site has useful up to date information and resources. This site is updated daily.

These are still the best guidelines for limiting the spread of the virus:
• Limit your interaction with others as much as possible.
• Wear a Mask.
• Respect Social Distancing and Avoid Gatherings
• Wash your Hands.
• Monitor your Health. Pay attention for COVID-19 symptoms: Fever, Cough, Shortness of Breath
Rosema

Re: COVID-19 PUBLIC STATEMENT

Post by Rosema »

Greetings Supervisors McNamara and Tilly,

Thank your for your commitment to Beaver Island and protecting the public during these unprecedented times.
I’m sure closing the island’s only Waste Management Facility was not an easy decision.

The sign at the Transfer Station clearly says, “Closed indefinitely Due to COVID,”
And the date of the above posting clearly says “November 22nd, 2020 1:37 pm.”

However, on Wednesday November 25th At 4:30, I clearly saw a nice white pickup truck loaded to the gills with cardboard being let in the transfer station.

For those of us new here, how does that work exactly?

Who do the rest of us members of the public call/talk to in order to get let in during this Indefinite Covid Pandemic Closure Period and take care of things that won’t fit in green bags?

Also, who is in charge of making decisions on who gets let in during closed hours?

Thanks in advance.

Brock
bigbuck

Post by bigbuck »

Brock: Some are more equal than others.
Bucky Guy

Post by Bucky Guy »

Brock, perhaps as you assert someone was indeed given preferred access for their personal benefit. Or, more likely I suspect, given your description of the vehicle and cardboard boxes, the access provided is something that in reality helps all of us. Possibly a commercial enterprise that serves the community at large with no storage space for what you described. I don’t know. I’d just urge you to be a bit patient before assuming the worst. Certainly you’ve asked a fair question. A perfectly understandable reason may yet be revealed. And welcome to the island.

George
BeanieBeanstalk

Post by BeanieBeanstalk »

George, you are so naturally diplomatic. Maybe we should make you mayor.
Bucky Guy

Post by Bucky Guy »

Well - given island history and what happened to the last single sole autocratic political figure in 1856 — I’ll pass...😉
Rosema

Post by Rosema »

[quote=bigbuck post_id=43374 time=1606667702 user_id=2190]
Brock: Some are more equal than others.
[/quote]

Big buck - A great commandment from another George.

You said it all!!

Believe it or not - I actually bought the Pig Farm!!!!

Have to say after living here on the farm for a spell - some things are beautiful, others are Just Orwellian.

The beauty speaks for itself.

The Orwellian part is that immediately after taking possession, the pigs were quick to presume we were just sheep. :(

Stop by sometime. Friends are always welcome. Sheep are tended to lovingly. We slaughter and eat all pigs.

Brock
Rosema

Post by Rosema »

George,

Thanks for the welcome, dude! I love the name George.

What makes you assume any assertion on my part?

As far as I know, the islands only Waste Management Facility is a public-owned facility.

Regardless, I bet it would take us all of 30 seconds in real life to get on the same page. Stop by sometime.

I just got word that the islands only waste management facility is, in fact, open when it says closed. It has been opened to accommodate “essentials” during other closures, as well.

This is news to me - and good news. I’m not sure that the public was informed of this prior to today.

However, anticipating the upcoming holiday, and possible next COVID closure, I still have to ask - who would members of the public, who could be essential, contact to set up these accommodations?

If it’s open when it says closed, but the manager doesn’t do computers (his words), and no one answers our calls at the only waste management facility on the island - who do we contact to set this up?

Who is in charge and how do we reach them during closed - but open - hours?

No assertions. Just questions.

Brock
PScott

Post by PScott »

I support the township allowing an essential business to drop off with no contact to allow it to continue to serve the people of Beaver Island. Perhaps it needs to vote to make it official so critics can think about other inequities of perhaps more substance. During a pandemic, some things must happen to keep things going. The transfer station had an employee with Covid. Do you really think it would be smart to have it open without employees who had to go into quarantine?
Trish Scott
Rosema

Post by Rosema »

Hi Pscott,

Thanks for your input. I value it.

Could you explain - what do you mean “Do you really think it would be smart to have it open without employees who had to go into quarantine?”

I’m confused by your question. I have simply asked, what is the after hours number and point of contact for the Rest of the “public” at this public facility. Can you help us?

I’ll try to respond back to your other statements ASAP but I have essential duties right now.

Thanks again

Brock
PScott

Post by PScott »

There was an employee who tested positive for Covid. I’m guessing the person went to work and potentially exposed co-workers to covid. So the station had to close so employees could quarantine. If that’s true, they would have to close the station to protect the public from potentially being exposed.

If an essential business that keeps living on the island possible had a need to quickly recycle large amounts in order to continue its efficient operation for the good of all Island residents, I support that fully.

It also seems to me that island residents having access to disposal of green bags outside meets their needs during a temporary public safety closure.It seems reasonable for residents to hold onto recyclable items during said closure.

I really don’t see this as such a big deal and wonder why this is seen as such. Life during a pandemic requires us to pull together and help each other and support them. Divisive discourse is not helpful.

I won’t be responding again. Peace out.
Trish Scott
Rosema

Post by Rosema »

[quote=BeanieBeanstalk post_id=43378 time=1606697931 user_id=3799]
George, you are so naturally diplomatic. Maybe we should make you mayor.
[/quote]

Beanie,

Thanks for your input - you made me chuckle.

I totally agree with HALF of what you said-

Agree - George appears diplomatic!! I’m hoping he stops by in real life. I bet we would get along well.

Perhaps George can find us the public phone number and point of contact in the next few days?? Hopefully his patience isn’t running out.

Disagree - I don’t think the island needs any more mayors...

We have seen outstanding leadership and dedication from the St James Township Board.

I fully expect we will see a similar level of dedication from the incoming Peaine Twp. Board.

Oh - if i forgot to give complete directions for Bucky and George - drive down the Pig Farm Road, past the beautiful home on the corner.

After you drive through the beautiful fields of green, but before you get to the Bluebird, you will come across some neatly organized piles of “little things” - stuff deemed non-essential for the last 2.5 years by the current Waste manager.

You are going to think to yourself, either:

a.) I would expect to be able to bring the little things to the islands only WAste management Facility in 2020.

B.) I would expect the islands only Waste Manager to formulate an essential plan/solution for the “welfare of the general public” in 2020.

Please lower your expectations. You are wrong on all fronts. The little things don’t matter, ever. Don’t sweat the little things.

He just keeps telling me to “dig a hole and bury it.”

But, you are at the right place!!!

Thanks again for the chuckle. My wife says I need more of them.

I don’t think this is funny anymore though.

I’ve never once heard of or been witness to someone stepping on steel and getting an infection.

But I know many a kid who have gotten their feet and hands sliced open (and died) when they step on cardboard during the holidays.

Brock
tkludt

Post by tkludt »

I'm not sure who owns the junk mess of barrels,tires, old boat and miscellaneous trash on Slop Town road but it should be taken care of not at taxpayers expense. Maybe the township can rid the eyesore by a lien on the property owner or some other proper solution. What an eyesore! Hoping to hear a solution from our new township supervisor . Thomas
Rosema

Post by Rosema »

Hi Thomas -

Thanks for your input. No one, ecspecially not me, has asked anybody to pay for anything!!

All that we are asking is for the Person who is accountable for coming up with Waste Management solutions to present us with a plan, just as they would cardboard.

By the way, it’s mine. I tried my damnest to get rid of as much as I could. I’m the friendliest neighbor you’ll ever meet. Stop by sometime and introduce yourself.

I, too, hope the New Township Supervisor is Able to hold somebody accountable for the massive piles of shit that we are left with.

And I agree, it doesn’t need to be at taxpayers expense.

Brock
Rosema

Post by Rosema »

Hi Thomas -

Thanks again for reaching out.

I have a question.

If the property that you bought on Beaver Island In 2018 was littered with the junk mess of barrels,tires, old boat, etc., and you wanted to clean the mess up - where would you bring it to in Beaver Island in 2018 or 2020?

What about cardboard?

Just asking for a friend who is new.