BITA Open Meeting July 14th. Keep The Boat Running.

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

K.D. McBride

BITA Open Meeting July 14th. Keep The Boat Running.

Post by K.D. McBride »

The Beaver Island Transportation Authority will hold it's monthly open meeting, Tuesday, July 14th at noon. The meeting will be teleconference to comply with COVID-19 requirements. The call in number is: 1-800-434-5932 enter code 12 326 790. Agenda and more information refer to BITA's website: www.beaverislandtransprotationauthority.com/ You do not need to identify yourself when calling in to attend the meeting. If you would like to make public comment, you need to identify yourself at that time. You can also submit comments or questions in writing or by phone to BITA prior to the meeting. See website for details.
Given Governor Whitmer's Executive Order today requiring masks being worn at all times in Michigan businesses effective July 16th, I have submitted a question as to the exact policy and its enforcement procedure, in the public's interest, to be a part of the meeting. If businesses do not comply with the Order, they may be shut down by the State. Given that BITA and the Emerald Isle come under the State, this Order and its implementation should be a concern to everyone associated with Beaver Island. If some passengers are not wearing masks now, what is going to change and how will it be enforced? The Island can not take the risk of the boat being shut down for noncompliance by a few passengers or lack of enforcement.
Last edited by K.D. McBride on Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk D. McBride
BI Pirate

Re: BITA Open Meeting July 14th

Post by BI Pirate »

There is nothing more sobering for enforcement at sea than to see a plank being installed on the starboard side.
:shock: :lol: 8)
Skull&CrossBones
K.D. McBride

Re: BITA Open Meeting July 14th. Keep The Boat Running.

Post by K.D. McBride »

Here's the unique issue with the boat compared to brick and mortar businesses. They can ask the person noncomplying with the mandatory mask wearing to leave or simply not serve them if they do not comply. Once on the boat and out in the lake, what can be done with those noncomplying with the law? However, I like the plant alternative. One thing would be to call the sheriff and have him or her meet the boat to issue a $500 citation at the dock. Another option would be that the captains are deputized to issue the citation onboard. I'm confident that solutions will be discussed that assure compliance with the EO, without exception. The Boat Company has done an excellent job on developing COVID-19 policies to keep the public safe and am certain that will continue. If you have any suggestions or questions, be sure to attend the meeting or submit them to BITA. Looking forward to Tuesday's meeting.
Kirk D. McBride
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

Beaver Island Transportation Authority (BITA) has posted an excellent notice regarding EO 2020-147, mask requirements, while on the boat. Thank you very much for the notice. Everyone should take time to go to the website and read it. www.beaverislandtransportationauthority.com/
Kirk D. McBride
medic5740

Post by medic5740 »

I tried to dial into the meeting. There was a second level code necessary apparently, and I did not have that code. "Enter the second level code followed by hash or pound key"

I couldn't join the meeting without this code.

Joe Moore
ian

Post by ian »

That's my question as well.
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

I too was denied access for lack of a second level code not provided in BITA's Public Notice. Please contact me if this happen to you. A violation of the MI Open Meetings Act will be filed.
Kirk D. McBride
ian

Post by ian »

I left a message regarding the code with the boat company. I'm not sure how quickly they respond.
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

Thank you for calling. It is the BITA office than needs to be contacted. I've heard nothing. If the meeting was conducted meaning that members but not the public knew the correct second access code, the violation of the MI Open Meetings Act will be filed with the Charlevoix County Prosecutor today.
Kirk D. McBride
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

It's 2:30 and no communications from BITA on the BI Forum, BITA's website or personal message. Done!
Kirk D. McBride
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

I have received confirmation that the open meeting took place as scheduled. There was a quorum of the 5 board members present apparently having no problem with second level code when calling into the meeting . Business was conducted and decisions were made. An undetermined number of members of the public were denied access to the meeting for lack of the second level code. Freedom Of Information Act requests are currently being drafted and submitted to BITA in order to clarify what happened.
Kirk D. McBride
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

calm down...perhaps they didn't realize the issue? See this on the website.... =; =; =;

BEAVER ISLAND TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY
BOARD Of DIRECTORS
July 14, 2020

A special meeting will be held by the Beaver Island Transportation Authority to ratify all decisions made at the public meeting held on July 14, 2020 at 12 noon. It was discovered after the meeting participation was limited due to technical difficulties A future meeting date will be announced.
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

I have been and remain calm with the exception of expecting more from BITA in a public statement showing some contrition regretting that interested people were denied access to their meeting. After that, BITA could then have announced that a special meeting will be called to rectify the error.
Until then, I will remain resolved in determining what happen with some being denied access and assure that BITA was not attempting to suppress attendance.
Kirk D. McBride
Sour grapes

Post by Sour grapes »

Seriously?? What part of the message on thier website did you not understand? Always the drama starter. Please move to BI and get on some of these Boards, maybe you will stop bitching then. Threatening prosecution, FIA request and making accusations, that is a way to treat others so you are taken seriously. [-X =D> :roll:
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

Have been on Beaver Island for 45 years. Own two homes here and property. Was my residence and voting precinct for several years. Have served as secretary and president on local board for 20 years. I have this one major issue and that is boards that take tax payers dollars yet do not feel they have an obligation to the public that pays those dollars. Seriously!
Last edited by K.D. McBride on Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk D. McBride