FOURTH OF JULY FIREWORKS TO BE CANCELLED

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

St. James Township

Post by St. James Township »

PRESS RELEASE
June 16, 2020

Following suit with many other Northern Michigan communities, Beaver Island’s fireworks display has been cancelled. Citing concerns about safety and the unknown nature of allowable attendance at outdoor events, St James Township and Peaine Township, which jointly fund the display, voted to cancel the event this year. The townships are saddened to make this decision knowing that the annual fireworks add to the joy of the 4th Of July celebration on Beaver Island. The townships have been monitoring the COVID-19 situation and have been in contact with other area municipalities concerning the appropriateness of hosting the fireworks display which draws several hundred people to the harbor area. The township boards are disappointed there will be no fireworks to celebrate the 4th of July Holiday, but based upon best knowledge about the current recommended event size and social distancing recommendations, it was deemed prudent to cancel for this year. The townships will work diligently to schedule fireworks for the 4th of July 2021.

The Beaver Island ‘Big Parade’ is taking on a very different look this year as our community and country deal with the unexpected covid-19 health emergency. The Chamber of Commerce hosts this event and more information can be found at https://www.beaverisland.org/.
PScott

Re: FOURTH OF JULY FIREWORKS TO BE CANCELLED

Post by PScott »

Thanks for making a tough decision, erring on the side of caution, to protect the health and safety of Island residents. It’s the right decision and I applaud it.
Trish Scott
Walleyeguy

Post by Walleyeguy »

Seriously? Health & safety concerns...Please what a joke. I'll bet majority of township board members havent even a current flu shot. Another example of C19-nonisland phobia.

Well perhaps the townships, primarily Peaine, will use the taxpayer money not spent on fireworks to finally improve/install the dock orboat launches on Lake G-a dock has been sitting next to the launch for years-or replace/upgrade the Wagner campground boat launch that were also promised 2yrs ago. "We're studying boat launches & are very close to making improvements" said a township member to me in 2018. Well, I'm waiting.

sincerely,
property tax payer
Walleyeguy

Post by Walleyeguy »

Peaine board/Mr. Kohls, I would appreciate a response concerning the Wagner boat launch & Lake G dock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0YIJQ1jgEI
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

He is waiting for the water to go up.
hermit

Post by hermit »

Seriously? You know the whole island is a social distant by definition. You don’t think we can stand more than 6 feet apart around a whole harbor.

We will light off our own fireworks
pbona

Post by pbona »

To the Township Boards,
Thank You for remaining vigilant in protecting the health and welfare of our island community. Canceling the fireworks was not an easy or popular decision. We are not out of the woods yet. It is the nature of infectious diseases not to care if you are restless or need to recreate. They are relentless and opportunistic. We cannot pretend life is back to normal. Yes, its tough and it is easier to believe the worst is past, but it is not. We are lucky here, but being complacent will only bring on circumstances with which we cannot cope. It is not silly or foolish to follow recommended medical guidelines until this plight is finally contained. Again, thank you for your foresight, courage and diligence in trying to keep us safe from harm.
Pat B.
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Mackinac just reinstated there’s and other events. MacKinac Island is attracting large numbers of young families and children this year. That could bode well for future years, there businesses are all carefully opening. Beaver Island being heavily dominated by those living off public dollars really as a community has little concern of their private economy shrinks. It will however impact the islands future as canceling everything over a virus that has had two cases in Charlevoix County in 40 days is way over reactionary.
bigbuck

Post by bigbuck »

Jeff. Beaver Island being heavily dominated by those living off public dollars really as a community has little concern of their private economy shrinks. Ouch. A little harsh don't you think Jeff.
JPike

Post by JPike »

Sad and pathetic.....to think of the hardships that our island ancestors endured to create a life on Beaver Island, "back in the olden days"..... clearing land, fishing, sailing, logging, farming, and the list goes on.....time for a gut check, people....FREEDOM to choose to not attend a fireworks display is also an option if you think watching fireworks is a dangerous, and unsafe event....sorry to offend those on the boards that I am friends with, and more than likely I am related to....TIME TO ADULT UP.....if people don't want to go, let them make their choice....but the silent majority is tired of this BS!
Jared Pike
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

So you speak for the silent majority JPike. Do you live on the Island now where you will affected by the decision or are you just mouthing your beliefs from far away. You are not very silent for belonging to the so called silent majority.
JPike

Post by JPike »

I pay property taxes, and I’m an adult enough to use my own name. And I have family heritage that goes back generations....what’s your connection?

PS....I edited because i didn’t want to trigger any sensitive people who also go by aliases...
Jared Pike
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

You speak because
1. You are a taxpayer
2. You are an adult
3. Your ancestors go way back
None of the above should qualify you to speak for the current residents and summer visitors on this issue .
My question is why do you think people should have to be exposed to the possibility of an increase in COVID 19 virus if it isn’t necessary.
JPike

Post by JPike »

Please tell me what data you have to support the cancellation of an outdoor event, socially distanced, and completely VOLUNTARY to go to is dangerous? You must be one of the SMARTEST people in the world, that you feel you can make the decisions on what people can, and cannot do....is that correct?

Again, what is your connection to BI, besides disagreeing that I’m not allowed to have a valid opinion....what is your background that makes your opinion more important?
Jared Pike
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

If you read my posts I did not take a stand either way. I figured the boards made the decision and that should be it. Bitching about it does no one any good.