Beaver Island Music Festival

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

hermit

Beaver Island Music Festival

Post by hermit »

So looking forward to being outdoors at the BIMF.
James Bakker

Re: Beaver Island Music Festival

Post by James Bakker »

Glad to see you got your own place to say what you would like to say as some said you should. Tired of the other one.
SKATINGFAMILY

Post by SKATINGFAMILY »

The music lifts us all, something that is needed.
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

BIMF. Only festival held in Northern Michigan in the year of the COVID-19 pandemic? Why??
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Great, close down the festival for "Island Health Reasons"

If you want to seriously impacted the overall health of island residents why don't you work on some of these MAJOR HEALTH FACTORS that impact the island everyday.

Ban Alcohol sales and consumption, since it likely impacts the overall health of island residents the most.

Ban Cigarette and Nicotine sales since smoking is the #1 preventable cause of disease and we all know many island folks that have died from it, some recently.

Force restaurants and grocery stores to only stock healthy foods

Mandate excercise

Mandate deforestation of pathways on the island to prevent exposure to lyme disease and anaplasmosis disease causing Deer TIcks which are rampant this year and just an FYI, the immature ticks that infect people the most and are almost microscopic are just hatching out now and they will be with us all summer until they reach adulthood in the fall and once again become more of a risk to our pets.

Those are just a few clear and present changes you can make if you want to seriously impact the major disease conditions that are affecting islanders currently. Grandstanding and in some cases threatening the Burtons who have tirelessly brought the Music Festival one of the islands bright spots in recent years is not only destructive but it is practically based in overblown fears by many who are simply drunk on their own percieved power.
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Although some events were cancelled in Northern Mi this link shows there is still a lot going on including a concert in the park in Petoskey.
http://www.northernmichiganeventscalend ... endar/july
I know BIMF is taking precautions and glad to see they are doing it this year.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
hermit

Post by hermit »

Sad they cancelled it. Just received the email from Carol and Dan.
SKATINGFAMILY

Post by SKATINGFAMILY »

Just read about the BIMF cancellation, sadly it seems that pressure being put on those on the Board to cancel has been successful. I think in the end I hope we will all realize that there are those out there that want to continue "living in a fearful society" to promote an agenda of politics and fear. The media and politicians have been relentless in their efforts to keep american's home, no gatherings, no debates, no anything that might risk contact with others. This is all in hope that we as american's will start pointing the finger of blame. I think the people of Beaver Island, visitors and music festival goers are now missing out on a chance at normalcy while practicing safe contact and caring for others. I fear we are becoming sheep to the slaughter by listening anymore to the constant barrage of fear by the media and those that want to see this fear go on. I will choose to live my life safely but with those that have enriched it by just being together with each other. Thank you Dan and Carol Burton for caring for the Island, it's people and those like myself who come every year because it makes me who I am.
hermit

Post by hermit »

I read it. And would love to know who harassed them.
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

It was on Facebook, but you wouldn’t want anyone knowing who you are apparently. I would call it a discussion not harassment. Both sides were trying to make their ideas known.
hermit

Post by hermit »

Sure “sandpiper”
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

Did you bother to read all the comments Hermit?
hermit

Post by hermit »

Sure. Why. Some pro and some for. Whole thing is sad. If someone didn’t want to go. It’s simple. Don’t go. They were doing nothing illegal. So don’t know your point
PScott

Post by PScott »

I have made a donation to the festival. I hope it can continue for many more years (post pandemic). If you feel so inclined, that would be great.
Last edited by PScott on Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Trish Scott
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

I think anyone who has been an outspoken critic of the festival occurring shouldn’t be telling others what to do.

Also there was an apparent threat letter(s) sent. Hopefully the information and the source(s) should be disclosed. Whoever threatened the Festival should explain the logic including the infectious disease risk to the community.

Destruction of the fragile summer economy in Beaver Island warrants a clear and logical fact based reason by those who chose to affect the legal rights if others.