So, tell me about Beaver Island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

DawnAttruia

So, tell me about Beaver Island

Post by DawnAttruia »

This post is directed towards Beaver Island residents, year round particularly. I have begun writing a novel, a period piece...1800's, early 1900's. I decided to take this year off to go home to research family history, homeland history. Michigan's history is absolutely fascinating.I was born and raised in Michigan, now living in Southern California. I spent time on the Manitous as a kid, worked my way through college on Mackinac several summers, so I had knowlege of our Islands. I was so surprised to hear of so many others, the 8 Islands in proximity to Beaver Island (including the Manitous). My intent is to spend the year on Beaver Island, hopefully researching, & traveling to other Michigan Islands. After already researching Beaver Island to a large extent, (I've looked through all of the historical photos, read many articles written for the Beacon, & searched the libraries.) I have no doubts that this is an incredilbe place to be. The history is incredible. If I could capture just a tad bit of this rich history and let it breathe on my characters, my work will benefit unmeasurably. There is just something about your Island that seems to have captivated me. My question(s) is this...exactly how big, or small is the community? Will I find myself viewed as an "outsider", or welcomed? I did grow up in a relatively small town, I do know that newcomers aren't always welcome. Will I be able to spend the winter unnoticed? Give me the scoop, what will await me when I step foot on this beautiful Island? Thank you...Dawn Attruia
NfsWiLL

Hey Welcome aboard :)

Post by NfsWiLL »

I heard they have about 500 Resident's a year there? Yeah we need a New Book Good Luck to you hope you Find what your Looking For,Etc :D

Post by Guest »

Dawn,

What a wonderful thing to do...live on Beaver for a year. It is a wonderful place and you might just find that you can't bring yourself to leave. There are about 500 year round residents. The do welcome "outsiders" if you are someone that appreciates the Island and respects the Islanders. If you are a good person who treats them right, you will make life-long friends. The Islanders love their island and take great care of it. They are wonderful stewards of the natural beauty of Beaver Island. They are a close knit community that takes care of each other. It is a beautiful thing. If you give to this community, they will repay you many fold. Those that don't appreciate the natural beauty and treat the Islanders as if they are not as good, are not encouraged to stick around! (Some of the toursists are absolutely obnoxious and think it will resemble Mackinac Island, so they are disappointed. They can't leave quick enough, and we are all glad they leave quickly.) Reasonable, no?

We own property and visit as often as we possibly can. We plan to retire on the Island and hope to live long retirements so that we can begin to give back to this wonderful community. We have made so many wonderful friends and consider it a privilege to spend time with them. It is a magical place. Since you have spent time on other Islands, you will enjoy Beaver. It is somewhere between the Manitous and Mackinac. closer to the Manitous than Mackinac. It is not a tourist trap kind of place like Mackinac Island. No fudge shops. The beaches are much more beautiful than Mackinac...sandy beaches. Lots of land and beaches set aside for the public to enjoy. The Islanders are very busy in the summer accommodating the summer tourists. Many of them work more than one job to earn enough to get through the winters. They get to relax more the farther from Labor Day they get. You will get to know them more in the late fall and through the winter. You can absolutely live unnoticed in the winter if that is what you want. Or you can enjoy the many social get togethers and really learn the history of the Island.

I can't say enough wonderful accolades about Beaver Islanders or its beauty. It is a well educated community that works hard and plays hard too. They have great values and live by them. They value family, integrity, honesty, education and hard work. They aren't impressed with wealth, social status, etc. They like people that are comfortable with themselves without putting on airs. They keep it real. What is important is who you really are...your character, not your bank account.

My best friend on the Island says that you have to like yourself to like Beaver. If you don't like yourself, you won't like Beaver Island. There is nowhere to run away from yourself there. You have to know how to enjoy life and entertain yourself with simple joys. The joy of watching the sunset, walking a beach, reading a book, etc. If you need to shop at a mall to be happy, you won't like it at all.

Well, enjoy! I hope we meet at some point.
Trish Scott
DawnAttruia

To Trish Scott

Post by DawnAttruia »

Trish,
Thank you for the reply, it was what I wanted to hear. It's funny, the more I learned about Beaver Island, the more drawn to it I was. I remember thinking what a treasure it seemed to be, and that one doesn't find places like that, certainly not in southern California! When I worked on Mackinac, I fell in love with the history, and everything beyond the main streets. I always wondered what it was like before it became so popular. I remember S. Manitou Island as well, and being just so captivated. I love knowing that the residents cherish the Island as it is, and do not necessarily want to turn it into something like Mackinac, it would be such a shame. I can't believe that it has been able to maintain it's integrity, who wouldn't want to flock to a place so rich in Michigan's history, and wildlife. Though I imagine the winters are a bit more challenging than inland, it seems all the more interesting. It does serve to make one appreciate the simple things, and each particular season. I can't wait to spend this next year there, and do look forward to meeting the folks who reside over this beautiful place. Thanks again...Dawn Attruia

Post by guest »

:-) Dawn, my name is Bernie Miller. Years ago, I lived on the islan for a year and a half after spending most of my childhood summers there. I graduated from high school on the island also. I have such wonderful memories there. The traditions and history are facinating to learn and experience. I look forward to my yearly visits there much more for the simple things like coffee with a friend or the spontaneous things like being hauled out of bed at midnight to go across the street and listen to music. I think that the fact I am not easily bored and can readily entertain myself was a skill I developed in my time there. I hope you have a wonderful year and I look forward to reading your completed work.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the reply Bernie! Beaver Island is becoming more appealing. I'm wondering if I will have a hard time coming back to this So Cal traffic, crime, smoggy air, fast pace, and too many people after my time is up! Take care, Dawn
Michelle Lafreniere

Post by Michelle Lafreniere »

Dawn,
I was born and raised on Beaver Island, left for 15 years, and because of a divorce found myself unsure of where to go. My sister talked me into coming "home" for a year to decide what I wanted to do. I didnt really know what else to do but was sure I DIDNT want to live on Beaver Island again. It was so small town, everyone knew your business, etc.
Long story short, I was home for ohhhhh about 2 weeks, and couldnt believe I had ever left. I realized I LOVED that it was a small town, and that everyone knew my business. They knew what I was going through and what my family was going through (a whole 'nother story) and boy were they there for us!! They still are.. I have been back for 4 years now, and still love it. My life is about to change again, my youngest child will graduate in a year, and as much as I think I want to leave, I dont know if I can do it.... Just dont know...
You may go back to Southern California for a while but my guess is if you "get the sand between your toes" you wont stay there very long!!!

Post by Guest »

Michelle,
I appreciate your reply, I've become quite the regular visitor to this website! My interest in Beaver Island is really surprising me, I've lived many places but have yet to be so interested! Maybe it is fate, maybe this will be where my writing will flourish. I love hearing from the folks who live there, it bridges that 2,500 some odd miles between! I so look forward to the upcoming year, and I hope to run into you, and anyone else kind enough to have taken the time to reply. Take care, Dawn
Tom Burke

a year on Beaver

Post by Tom Burke »

Dawn,

All of what they say is true. I too have succumbed to the charms of Beaver Island having spent only ten days there filming a documentary last year. I'm currently planning to go back this summer. As one of the characters in our film says "There is just something about the island that reaches out and grabs you".

I truly could not think of a better place to hold up for while to write a novel. Absolutely ideal.

I dare say we'll bump into each other in the coming months

Tom
DawnAttruia

To Tom

Post by DawnAttruia »

Hi Tom,

I am always glad to get a response to my post. I can't tell you how excited I am to arrive this summer. I thought at first that I would sort of hang low and try not to disturb the folks who make Beaver Island their home, but now I think I would like to talk to, and get to know as many as possible, and share what they have for the Island...it might make for good company in the winter months too! I hope to get to the Manitous, Hog, Garden, High, Gull, and the two Fox Islands as well (you wouldn't know anything about those, would you?), while the weather will allow, hopefully by summers end. I'd be interested to know about the documentary that you filmed. Could you share a few details? Thanks again...Dawn Attruia
Rory Connaghan

Post by Rory Connaghan »

Hi Dawn....I've just got a quick couple of links for ya .. Our local charter boat captain can be found at www.beaverisland.net/islandhopper/ ..... www.moondance.tv/ click on television/film has a small piece on the project Tom worked on. There's also a photo....I'm on the right. :D Tom made me a star! 8) Peace...Sly Dog
DawnAttruia

Post by DawnAttruia »

Thanks for the info Rory! The Island Hopper website was perfect, all I needed to arrange the rest of my plans. I was really stoked to see that. Planning this next year has reminded me how much I have always loved Michigan. We were always roaming around up North back in the day, it's exciting to get to check out something totally new and different that Michigan has to offer. I've loved reading the replies I've recieved, assuring me of a warm and hospitable community. It's very cool learning how cherished the Island is by it's residents. I hope I get to meet you all. Take care...Dawn Attruia
Dawn Attruia

P.S.

Post by Dawn Attruia »

Today, April 27, it was 102 degrees here in SoCal (an April high, of course). I am entirely envious of the weather you all must be having about now...spring breezes, birds busy, new growth everywhere. It was hot here, while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, I thought how happy you all must be to not have to deal with that craziness. :wink: Dawn Attruia
michelle lafreniere

weather

Post by michelle lafreniere »

Dont be too envious, it is cold and rainy here. Yesterday we woke up to SNOW!! It quickly went away, but just the same. I would settle for somewhere in between 30 and 102.. just not either extreme!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Dawn, I am not a resident but a visitor who spent a summer on Beaver Island when I was 17 that changed my life. I lived in a tent and one or two other interesting places, and worked at the Shamrock in the kitchen. I shudder to realize that David Broder might have eaten my cheeseburgers. Anyway, I gained a perspective that I'm not sure one gets from a cabin on Donnegal Bay or wherever. For the full island experience I recommend you go homeless during the warm months with just a single saucepan and a guitar to your name. I'm kidding of course, but it WAS a great experience for me as a young man in 1978. Incidentally, I just finished a novel set on Beaver Island, myself, which I have just now started shopping around. Maybe I'll see you up there this summer.
R.I.P. Ross and Hello to Cindy G.