Ron Stith RIP

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Marie LaFreniere

Ron Stith RIP

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Ron passed away yesterday. More information will be posted as it becomes available.
Marie LaFreniere

Re: Ron Stith RIP

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

Ronald L. Stith, 75, of Beaver Island passed away unexpectedly October 27, 2019 on Beaver Island, MI.

Ron was born January 17, 1945 in Cheltenham, England to Lesslie K. Stith and Olive M. Attwood.

He graduated from Ball State with a masters in education, Cum Laude. He was a public-school teacher for many years.

After retiring from teaching, he moved to Beaver Island, MI where he lived for over 17 years.

Ronald was a proud Veteran of the United States Army National Guard. He was active in the local AMVETS, helped to coach the high school basketball team and was involved in many activities. Ron always had that Indiana smile and a hand to help. He was an avid golfer and loved all things college football.

Ron is survived by his wife Karen Whitecraft Stith, daughter Melissa Wells, son David Stith, brother Reginald Stith, a sister, and grandchildren.

A private service will be held at his family plot in Indiana.

Arrangements have been handled by the Charlevoix Chapel of Mortensen Funeral Homes.
Last edited by Marie LaFreniere on Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
medic5740

Post by medic5740 »

I would be hard pressed to find you a better or a nicer man than Ron Stith. He helped in lots of groups on Beaver Island. He loved golf. He had a great smile. I read his obituary and thought that there was a lot more about him that could and should have been written. He helped me out during a really bad time for me by making me smile about things that were really bothering me.

Ron was a somewhat complicated man, but mostly his positive attitude throughout the years is what I remember. He helped others much more than they helped him.

Rest in Peace, Ron. I will talk to you again sometime in the future, and we'll chat, and I know you'll make me laugh.

Joe Moore
sblanch

Post by sblanch »

David and I have been especially close to Ron over the years and he will be missed.
Sharon Blanchard
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

What a great guy Ron was, it took a long time to get to know him as his "relationships" were complicated and we all had to wait for some long periods to see what or whom would come out in the end. That said, you could always count on Ron for a gentle smile, a heartfelt hello and in his later days, an uncomplicated commentary on life and reality! That's when I found my best time and terms with him! He found his own voice and had finally stopped being stepped on. He had a lot to say in these last years and months and I loved every minute of it! I know he and Dave Blanchard became fast friends by way of the Island and military experience (and I think they cheated at golf, lol) but he was always a good guy and he always loved our little band, will miss you Ron! Reality can suck but you kept it real in your own way! Peace to you and yours! Rich and Laura
KJWhitecraft

Post by KJWhitecraft »

Lovely Richie & all that loved him. We are all “a part” of what others see, but yes.... I loved him to the moon & back; as did he me. Sending lovely vibes with your connection.
K.J. Whitecraft
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

My heart goes out to Ron's two children David and Melissa, I know how forward he was looking to going back to Indiana in December and spending the winter at Melissa's house. Ron has lived out here with us for so long it is hard to imagine the farm without him, he has been a great friend and neighbor, spending many holidays and dinners together. I don't know if I know a nicer or kinder person, if he had a fault it was that he was such a nice guy he could easily be taken advantage of. When I think of Ron I will think of that smile he always had on his face. We will miss him very much!
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
KJWhitecraft

Post by KJWhitecraft »

Fun facts about Ron:
Ron was born in England & his mother put him ( A cutest Baby ) Contest. He was very proud that he Won!

Moving to the US. Jump forward to college- he went to Ball State - Got his Masters with History as his major.
He also was a cum laude , or as I would call him( cum la la)

He coparented his two beautiful children while teaching & training his kids as well as coaching the high school basketball team

After retiring he came to BI, which all know was his favorite place to be.

He came with a flip phone which was so cute & finally graduated to an iPhone, & I wouldn’t say he mastered it, but once again so many chuckles on the learning curve.

He helped with coaching at Beaver Island School as well as helping at the HOMECOMING baseball games.

He made Christmas ornaments with me for his kids.

Just a few fun facts about a kind,multi faceted loving man
He most certainly touched everyone with his Indiana smile & laughs

You will be missed Ron, see later alligator
K.J. Whitecraft
Wkohls

Post by Wkohls »

Ron rented an apartment from us for over seven years and we probably know him better than most. He was much more than a renter to Andy and me; he was a great neighbor and a good friend.

Yes, Ron was a kind, gentle and generous man. He was somewhat naïve, innocent and, perhaps, too trusting. (Both Andy and I have stories that will illustrate that Ron was sometimes gullible, but we leave those stories for another day.)

Surprisingly, no one has had much to say about his sense of humor. Ron would sometimes join us for holiday dinners and would have us in stitches.

Ron’s brother told me that he was a gifted high school athlete. Ron played on varsity teams as a freshman and he played semi-pro baseball at fifteen. (Participants in the men’s golf league may find this hard to believe.)

Seemingly, it didn’t take much to keep Ron happy. He was happy as a clam in his 524 square-foot, studio apartment and he was grateful when we shared leftovers with him (especially if I had made lasagna.)

Ron was a great fan of Michigan football and I hope that he was able to enjoy last weekend’s Wolverine victory over Notre Dame whether he was in this world or the next!

God bless you, Ron Stith!
bj5043@earthlink.net

Post by bj5043@earthlink.net »

Ron was a great guy and was a good friend of our family, especially my Mother. If it had not been for Ron, she would have never been able to come up to the Island to her cottage each summer until she was 98 years old. He was a great, caring friend to her for many years. Thank you, Ron, we will miss you very much.

Bill and Nadra Johnson
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

Ron was also a part of the Beaver Island Community Players productions. He loved being backstage and opening and closing the curtains. A great, fun soul. He will be missed by many.
DStith79

Post by DStith79 »

RIP dad. We love you and miss you. I think about you daily and hopefully you knew I forgave you and I hope you forgave me. Until we meet again dad, until we meet again. Watch over us and save a spot for me up there at the Field of Dreams
Attachments
Laney---David---Sadie (STITH)
Laney---David---Sadie (STITH)
20201202_203218~2.jpg (253.5 KiB) Viewed 5507 times
DStith79

Post by DStith79 »

Andy's Grooming Barn wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:17 pm My heart goes out to Ron's two children David and Melissa, I know how forward he was looking to going back to Indiana in December and spending the winter at Melissa's house. Ron has lived out here with us for so long it is hard to imagine the farm without him, he has been a great friend and neighbor, spending many holidays and dinners together. I don't know if I know a nicer or kinder person, if he had a fault it was that he was such a nice guy he could easily be taken advantage of. When I think of Ron I will think of that smile he always had on his face. We will miss him very much!
Thank you for your kind words about my father and for your friendship to my father. I am glad that he had people on the Island that truly cared for him. Thank you
DStith79

Post by DStith79 »

Wkohls wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:33 am Ron rented an apartment from us for over seven years and we probably know him better than most. He was much more than a renter to Andy and me; he was a great neighbor and a good friend.

Yes, Ron was a kind, gentle and generous man. He was somewhat naïve, innocent and, perhaps, too trusting. (Both Andy and I have stories that will illustrate that Ron was sometimes gullible, but we leave those stories for another day.)

Surprisingly, no one has had much to say about his sense of humor. Ron would sometimes join us for holiday dinners and would have us in stitches.

Ron’s brother told me that he was a gifted high school athlete. Ron played on varsity teams as a freshman and he played semi-pro baseball at fifteen. (Participants in the men’s golf league may find this hard to believe.)

Seemingly, it didn’t take much to keep Ron happy. He was happy as a clam in his 524 square-foot, studio apartment and he was grateful when we shared leftovers with him (especially if I had made lasagna.)

Ron was a great fan of Michigan football and I hope that he was able to enjoy last weekend’s Wolverine victory over Notre Dame whether he was in this world or the next!

God bless you, Ron Stith!
Your words bring tears to my eyes. I am so glad I found this forum and was able to read all of the posts thia morning. I have been silently struggling the past few months with my fathers sudden passing last year. For some reason it took almost a year for me to have these overwhelming moments of grief and sadness and regret. But your words and friendship and me now knowing that he wasn't alone and that he had good people who cared for him may help me find closure. I dont know where the emotion is coming from finally/suddenly. I had to euthanize my dog of 13 years last week and just got her ashes back so maybe that is why I'm getting bombarded with thoughts of my dad. But this warmed my heart finding this forum and reading about my father in other people's eyes. You were a blessing to him and he was lucky to have you in his life to call friends. I hope your holidays are safe and warm and I hope you know how much you both meant to him. Without you he may not have been able to stay on the Island and live his best life. So thank you and God Bless you.
DStith79

Post by DStith79 »

KJWhitecraft wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:42 am Fun facts about Ron:
Ron was born in England & his mother put him ( A cutest Baby ) Contest. He was very proud that he Won!

Moving to the US. Jump forward to college- he went to Ball State - Got his Masters with History as his major.
He also was a cum laude , or as I would call him( cum la la)

He coparented his two beautiful children while teaching & training his kids as well as coaching the high school basketball team

After retiring he came to BI, which all know was his favorite place to be.

He came with a flip phone which was so cute & finally graduated to an iPhone, & I wouldn’t say he mastered it, but once again so many chuckles on the learning curve.

He helped with coaching at Beaver Island School as well as helping at the HOMECOMING baseball games.

He made Christmas ornaments with me for his kids.

Just a few fun facts about a kind,multi faceted loving man
He most certainly touched everyone with his Indiana smile & laughs

You will be missed Ron, see later alligator

Another fun fact. He was on his way home in December (Yes he would be here right now). Why? To see his kids and grandchildren and to meet with his attorney to draw up a new will so what little he had would go to the right spot. He didnt live his whole life to give away the little he had left to a woman 10-20 years younger who everyone but him could see was using him for exactly this. I hope the next guy you try to pull this scheme on stumbles across this post. Dad undoubtedly did not want you getting possession of everything he holds dear and worked his entire life for. But he was a lonely old man and you conned him and robbed my sister and I and our children. I hope you are happy. It crushed my sister that you could take from our family and our children so easily and not even have a thought of doing the right thing. But I knew all along what you were in it for. You got your wish. Happy for you. But I think what little he had would have been better served for us. Considering he had told my sister he was saving what extra he could for us because he wanted us to have something. But he didnt make it home. It is what it is. Nothing happens in Gods world by mistake. Only God Knows Why. Im sure you never thought twice about it either. I could be flat broke , homeless, beaten down, addicted or any number of things and I still wouldnt steal from my "husbands" children and grandchildren. Character Karen, human decency. Find some. God Bless you Karen. Hopefully you can donate dads golf cart to someone in need. Ive been homeless, addicted, broken, defeated and still gave people all I had and didnt tell them it was my last. I pray I never have to have a sense of the taste of self-importance and greed. I hope life treats you well Karen, I sincerely do. We are all deserving of forgiveness and mercy and I am grateful that I learned these lessons so my kids wont have to feel the same suffering my sister and I have. Thanks for the lesson
Attachments
20201127_165239.jpg
20201127_165239.jpg (3.9 MiB) Viewed 5490 times