Sad tidings

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Avandyke

Sad tidings

Post by Avandyke »

Many of you already know this from Facebook, but will just let anyone else who knew my mother, Elinor Van Dyke, know that she died last week. She and my father spent 3 1/2 very happy years here before moving into assisted living in Charlevoix two years ago. Mom used to go to the senior dinners, and moved back to the mainland right before one was scheduled, so she wrote a farewell to read to her friends at the missed dinner. Her note seems appropriate for this final goodby.

Mom's letter: Dear friendly friends on Beaver Island, John and I needed more care, and have moved to assisted living on the mainland.

The hardest part will be getting rid of a good habit. My brain will have to consciously send this message. "Stop quivering, arm. Don't wave at everybody. You don't know these people. You don’t wave at strangers on the mainland.

Harbor View was the right place for our home. Watching boats come and go kept life interesting for a couple of old sailors.

I bid a special goodby to those who used Back Highway as their thoroughfare. Thanks for waving as I shuffled to and fro with my walker.

Thanks also to Ann Partridge for all the special events she organized for us Golden Oldies.

I think Beaver Island should be renamed “friendly Beaver Island.”

One additional note, a repeat from the Facebook post. Two weeks before she died, she was admitted to hospice, and then we drove to Lake Michigan for what turned out to be the last of her beloved scenic drives. Looking out over the lake, she said “My life has been so full of joy.”
COA Beaver Island

Re: Sad tidings

Post by COA Beaver Island »

I am so sorry for your loss. I didn't know your Mom very long, but she was so kind. You could tell from visiting with her, she was in her Happy Place on Beaver Island. There has been many Blessings, Hugs!
Kathie
Lonnie Allen
Beaver Island C.O.A Site/Building Coordinator
Charlevoix County Maintenance Assistant
Beaver Island, MI.
Office: (231) 448-2124
Fax: (231) 448-2944
Avandyke

Re: Sad tidings

Post by Avandyke »

Just a note to say many of you have already sent lovely sympathies on Facebook, not asking you to repeat anything here, just wanted to let everyone know. Thanks again for all the kind thoughts already expressed, they have all been read to my father and were of great comfort.love to each and every one of you.