A Little Piece of "Beaver Island" Inspiration

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

carolburton

A Little Piece of "Beaver Island" Inspiration

Post by carolburton »

I would like to share a story about our miracle dog Titus. Many of you know this amazing and spunky 16 year old Jack Russell Terrior. He has been with us as long as our daughter Elsie and is such a part of our family I really don't know what we will do without him (someday!)

This is where this story starts...Tuesday evening tragedy struck for our family. Titus ran out into the drive, excited to see everyone home early, and was run over by a truck. Yes truck! Large truck! At first he was unconscious or what we thought was probably the end. NOPE he started moving and even tried to stand. Unbelievable that moving was even remotely possible. What now?

Time was crucial and we had just a short time to make a major decision. Called our amazing vet who was not on the island Jeffrey F Powers, who by the way has already saved Titus's life at least 3-4 times before, and we talked it over right there in the driveway. Lets get him over to the mainland asap.

The last plane was leaving in under an hour and he was hurt so bad that we couldn't shove him in a carrier. The next option was to try and get him in a box? To our surprise we put the box down and Elsie Burton called him right into it. This is a small dog that has just been run over, was totally out of it, and could barely stand for a second. Amazing that he could even get up. I think he did it just for them.

We all packed up in two vehicles. Olga Burton did all the dialing and texting for me while I drove. Dan went to the airport while we raced to the hardware where Jeff had Levi Connor waiting with a bigger cage. Island Airways was ready and waiting for us. Before I even pulled in to the parking lot they had loaded Dan Burton and Titus up and off they went no cage just a box. No time to waste.

When he got to the other side the van was ready and waiting thanks to the staff of Island Airways and Jeff was in the parking lot. Off they went to East Jordan to the vet clinic 15 to 20 minutes away.

Guess what NOT ONE broken bone! Maybe a dislocated neck and an extreme amount of bruising but nothing broken. Not even his leg that was severely broken last year. They treated him and kept him for a night (which means Jeff took him home with him). Dan picked him up in the morning, he had survived the night, so he was brought back home to see. Time is really all the anyone could give him and a lot of pain medication.

We didn't know what to expect or what to hope for but we now know! He is such a loving and loyal dog to our family that just a little over a day later, this morning, he couldn't be away from the family and climbed the stairs to be with us in our kitchen! That is crazy when he can barely walk or stand for even a few moments.

Amazing strength and will this dog has. To endure so much agony but have the internal drive to be with his family no matter the pain he is in! Titus will survive for the umpteenth time and is a true inspiration. He deserves the best and every moment of stardom that he got from The Boonies.

We are so very appreciative to the people of Beaver Island that gathered together in such a quick hurry Mary Kay McPherson and everyone else just to save the life of a tiny family dog. Imagine what they do for the people who live here when something happens. This is why we live on Beaver Island!

Thank you! The Burton Family
burton
Pam Grassmick

Re: A Little Piece of "Beaver Island" Inspiration

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Thanks for sharing the story. Wishing you all the best!
McGrass
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Carol, Dan and Family, Dinghy, Tug and I send heaps of well wishes to Titus on a speedy recovery. Doc Powers is the best. When Titus is better, check his DNA. Dinghy is convinced he might be a cross with a cat given his 9 lives. :D :D :D
Skull&CrossBones
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Great story Carol.one of our little guys, Chomper is going or gone deaf but he's such a healthy trooper we'll keep 'em! They're our best friends and they don't lie! What a concept! Peace!
chez bayardee

Post by chez bayardee »

Titeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great news about a great beast!
It is hard to believe he has gone from a the kind of dog
that subscribed to men's magazines
for the cologne sample swatches
to the amazing trooper who survives being run over by a
TRUCK!
one hand washes the other...and both hands wash the face----ed norton