Cardio exercise equipment on island?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

nancy

Cardio exercise equipment on island?

Post by nancy »

Is there anyplace on the island that the public can go to use cardio exercise equipment? Like an eliptical trainer, bike, etc.? Does the health center have such things to use.

Thanks,

Nancy
Frank Solle

Post by Frank Solle »

There are lots of places to exercise here:

walk along the beach

climb mt pisgah

jog Kuebler's Trail

do the stairs at the south lighthouse

row a boat, or canoe, or kayak

ride a real bike - Marilyn Reed rides to the end of Kings Highway nearly every morning, you could try to keep up with her

plus, all these are outside, in the fresh air

if you are looking for some weight training, I've got a bunch of firewood you could carry and stack
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

I'll be right over to take care of that fire wood for ya Frank. :mrgreen:

Steve
esteger

Post by esteger »

I do not know of any, but I have always thought that if a location could be found, that we could raise the money to buy the equipment. I was hoping that there might be room in the Community Center, but I am told there is not. I have been told that a fitness center was a part of the early plans for the new school, but was later dropped. Good luck!
Evan
nancy

Post by nancy »

Thanks Frank! I'll be right over to carry that wood for you.....

I'm trying to get in shape to even ride my bike the 8 miles into town. But that is a good idea - some of my neighbors do the ride on the King's Highway to the lighthouse and back.

Nancy
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

"I have been told that a fitness center was a part of the early plans for the new school, but was later dropped.........."

That is correct. Droped to stay within budget. Is still an option for the future. Donations? :D
AEW

Post by AEW »

When I moved here in 1998 the gym at the school use to be open in the evenings for public use. There was a very small weight room with exercise machines but it really was kinda lame. I've always dreamed about an indoor year round 50m swimming pool and excersise room on the Island. It would be great for the kids to have another sport to participate in. Swimming is great exercise for all ages and abilities. Whether doing laps, water aerobics, water polo or good old marco polo, it is great for ones health. EMS and Fire/Rescue could also keep up on water rescue training skills too. We could have lifesaver and water survival training too. Also
aquatic therapy can be very helpfull for the elderly and those recovering from injury. If anyone would like to get together and talk about developing a plan for this dream please let me know. We can do it with out taxes. I believe private donations is the way to go. It may take a few years to raise the money but it would be great thing to save for. I would be the first to donate to a pool fund for the Island.
Janes

Post by Janes »

This is a wonderful information about cardio exercise places. I will go to a beach for walk. Walk is best cardio exercise and has lot of benefits. Anyway this is a nice post. Keep posting.
Janes
Michealleo

Post by Michealleo »

Hi i've no idea about it but i am i think that cycling is my best equipement that is with me for using as a cardio exercise . But still i am also going for swimming in some extra time .