Potential Philosophy Club or Socrates Cafe?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

D-Family

Potential Philosophy Club or Socrates Cafe?

Post by D-Family »

Interested In Philosophizing?

I'm playing with the idea of hosting a Philosophy Club or a Socrates Cafe on the island. I've talked with Patrick at the Library as well as other places for hosting.

We could start out monthly or weekly, but most importantly I'd like to get a feel of how many people would be interested in such a monthly or weekly gathering.

Nobody would be expected to attend every gathering, and all meetings would be open (to all ages), but lets try to gauge in how many people are interested in attending some informal meetings/discussions. If there is enough interest, I'd like to get started the first week of May, sooner if people want. Remember, this will not a place for political agendas, to prove opinions to other people, or bias debate on local issues, that can be left to public meetings, open forums, and social media. Philosophy is more asking questions instead of answering them and finding understanding instead of searching for an answer.

PM me or comment below if your interested, if we get enough we can start talking dates for the first gathering.

"The Un-Examined Life Is Not Worth Living" - Socrates
-Nicholas De Laat-
-The De Laat Family
BI Pirate

Re: Potential Philosophy Club or Socrates Cafe?

Post by BI Pirate »

I think that club already meets all summer long for morning coffee at Daddy Franks. Great coffee, mindless wondering conversation with no structure, no direction and best of all no sense or answers. When both the coffee cups and minds are empty, meeting adjourned. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
Fred Kellaway

Post by Fred Kellaway »

Absolutely, I would attend any time I'm on the island, which is about every month and a half. Great idea!
Kellaway
Louis

Post by Louis »

I would be interested in taking part. Good idea.

Louis Post
BradG

Post by BradG »

I'd be interested. Common sense is an uncommon virtue and I'd love rational discussion of issues.

Brad
D-Family

Post by D-Family »

Great. Keep the interest coming, if you guys could all shoot me an email at NicholasDeLaat@gmail.com I'll be able to add you to the email list I have started. I was going to get going on it as soon as the Community Play was finished, probably the first week or two in May.

In the meantime, here is a good PDF overview of facilitating a philosophy club or Socrates Cafe meeting. If anyone has ever facilitated one before, let me know in your email.

http://www.philosopher.org/uploads/3/4/ ... es_caf.pdf

Patrick at the Library also turned me onto a good book about these type of thought provoking meetings if you are interested in further information.

-Nicholas-
-The De Laat Family
D-Family

Post by D-Family »

We have the first discussion scheduled for May 09, 6:30pm at the library.

If you haven't already and are interested, please send me your email address so that I can add it onto the list.
nicholasdelaat@gmail.com

-Nicholas De Laat
-The De Laat Family
D-Family

Post by D-Family »

Ok, first trial "cafe" tonight (Wednesday May 09) At the library...6:30pm

All ages welcome, this is an open discussion.
-The De Laat Family