Beaver Island Firefighters Show Tremendous Character

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

At around 5 pm last night a fire broke out at my warehouse just west of the four corners, this is immediately west of Martins propane tank farm. Well, the building, 80x68 was a total loss but Beaver Island's Volunteer Firefighters put forth a fantastic effort not only to attempt to save the building but when that could not be done focused their efforts on keeping the East wall of the building intact which deflected heat and flames from a 30,000 gallon propane tank sitting less than 75 feet away, it was something to see. This writer virtually loss all possessions acquired in a lifetime in business but it means nothing to the sacrifice and courage of these brave men and women. The Beaver Island community should be very proud of these people and those who are not on the fire department roster who showed up and gave their all. Laura and I and our children want to express our complete gratitude for the effort made, thank you all!!
debrob2

Fire

Post by debrob2 »

Rich, Laura and Family...
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Your attitude and perspective on this is amazing and inspiring. If you need anything, add my name (as well as John's) to list of people who would be honored to help. I don't know what the next step is...whether we can help with a shovel or a shoulder...either way....we are ready, willilng and able...just say the word.
Debbie & Johnny B
Kim Connaghan Jones

Post by Kim Connaghan Jones »

Richie I'm sorry to hear about your loss.I can't imagine what you guys must be feeling right now.If there is anything I can do please let me know.

A great BIG round of applause to the BI Fire Dept for a job well done as always.You guys and gals are great =D> =D> =D>
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

"A great BIG round of applause to the BI Fire Dept for a job well done as always. You guys and gals are great."

May I second that!

Very sorry about your loss Richie. As always Beaver Island will be there to help.

Steve
beckyg44

Post by beckyg44 »

Ritchie, Laura and family,

Even though I am not on the island if there is anything that I can do to help please let me know...you have done so much for our family and definitely would like to reciprocate. Great job by the BI Fire Dept to keep everything well maintained so that an even bigger disaster was averted.

Becky Gerace
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

Our family is so sorry for your loss and since you have always been there with a kind word, poem or thought for others, please know that we are thinking of you all during this time and we would all be willing to grab a shovel. What a wonderful group of people that we have here on this island, for when things are at there worst, they are at their best!!!!
BigMike

Post by BigMike »

I wish I was there to give you a hug. Let us know if we can help. We're thinking of you .

Mike and Jen
Jim A

Post by Jim A »

Sorry to hear about your loss. Glad no one was injured.
Small Island - Big Hearts

Jim A
Rosema Group
Joyce

Post by Joyce »

Richie, I'm so sorry and also very glad no one was hurt and that Beaver Island has those marvelous fire, medical and police teams!!
sorensc

Post by sorensc »

Richie and Laura, we're so sorry to hear about your loss. Please let us know if we can help in any way.
Kudos to the BI Fire Dept!!

The Sorensens
Sean

Post by Sean »

Richie, That is bad new's about the barn. Glad to hear that the Firefighter's were able to keep the heat off the propane tank. Sounds like a top notch team! Good job!!
Sean McDonough

nancy

Post by nancy »

Richie - sorry to hear about the loss of your warehouse and possessions in there.

Congratulations to the BI Fire Department from keeping the propane tank, gas station and substation from blowing up!!!

Nancy Peterson