Waste Transfer Station - Saturday hours

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Peaine Township

Waste Transfer Station - Saturday hours

Post by Peaine Township »

The Waste Transfer Station will open at 1:00 pm on Saturday, April 21st which will allow Bob and Joe to attend fire training that morning. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Richards

WASTE MANAGEMENT MEETING?

Post by Richards »

Thank you for posting this notice.

Can you please tell us when and where the next Waste Management Committee Meeting will take place?

Sheri Richards ~ Resident Realtor
"Welcoming neighbors, one sale at a time."
meadefamily

Re: Waste Transfer Station - Saturday hours

Post by meadefamily »

Sheri

Here is the link with contacts. They would probably be able to assist you. (Sorry edited to let you know Bill is not part of it now according to post below. The link did not affiliate him with St. James and he has a personal email listed. Apologies!)

Have a great day!

http://www.peainetwp.org/government_dep ... /index.php

Kathe

Kudos to Joe and Bob!!
Last edited by meadefamily on Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Hi Sheri,

The information on the Peaine Township website regarding the Trasnfer Station is years old, very out of date, and not worth your time. It shows Bill Haggard, St. James Township Supervisor as participating. They have not held a meeting in a Transfer Station Committee meeting in a couple of years. When the Transfer Station Committee ceases to hold meetings, it is easy for taxpayers to be concerned about the $195,351 in taxpayers dollars that they are sitting on as a fund balance and what the plan is for those dollars. Although the lack of meetings has been brought up several times during public comment that I know of at Peaine Township meetings, no board discussion takes place. You won't see any mentioned in township meeting minutes because pubic comments do not need to be documented. The Transfer Station is not a good governmental oversight model.
McGrass
Wkohls

Post by Wkohls »

Hey, Pam . . .

I cannot tell you how many times Bob Marsh and I sat at the Peaine Township Hall at the appointed hour hoping that a quorum would appear.

I also cannot tell you how many times I sent emails to the previous St. James supervisor about the need to create a waste transfer authority.

The waste transfer station is nonetheless operating under an approved budget and the relatively high cash balance is justified by the need to replace capital equipment.

These issues were discussed at a recent meeting of the Peaine Township board. (Perhaps you missed that meeting.) Since that time, I have chatted with Kitty McNamara. Briefly, there is agreement to move forward, but we decided that it was best to wait until sometime after the May 8, 2018 ballot.

Best wishes . . .
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Hey Bill,

Glad to hear you are trying to have Transfer Station Committee meetings. I spoke to a couple of the members of that committee and they seemed to have missed that notice over the past year. You might want to check on the committee's emails. Like anything else important, it is necessary to assure these meetings are posted and happen.
McGrass