Township consolidation II

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Ron Wojan

Township consolidation II

Post by Ron Wojan »

The Reason we did not not consolidate the two townships was as folllows:
1. The savings for having one township , less board members, duplication of Salaries would not be a reality. It may cost more. Attorneys to sort it all out is one reason.
2. Too much power in the hands of a few. No brainer.
3. If you think politics are bad now just wait until St. James and Peaine voters are trying to get on a smaller board to maintain representation. For what they consider is in their best interest.
4. If this merger was successful, it will never be considered anything other than a â??takingâ?￾ of Peaineâ??s property by St. James township for the purpose of expanding their property base. The fallout on that and the hard feelings it will create will never go away.
5. Two heads are better than one. I came to realize that the back and forth ,before any new legislation was finally passed ,was very beneficial in getting it right. Thatâ??s what they do on the State and Federal level. Right?
6. The joint ventures of the two townships (fire stations, airport, yacht dock, roads, transfer station, etc. etc.) are bigger financially than either township alone. So for all practical purposes, we are one township.
7.Peaine township has their traditions and they are proud and rightly so of their accomplishments and their history as a township. Why would we want to take that from our neighbors.
8. Logistically, this is going to be a nightmare to make all the adjustments, tax wise and otherwise that will make this work. The Attorneys get enough of our money , as it is.
9. When Vivian Visher (STâ?? James township Clerk) was alive she helped Peaine with all the book work. When she died Peaine had people to help St. James until we could replace her. The business of taxation and representation is tough work for very little money. Letâ??s not hire very expensive people to do the business we can manage ourselves. Islands are very unforgiving of people that think they can make more out of them than they are. Ask the people of Drummond Island how that worked out with Tom Monaghan. They did not have zoning.
10. Iâ??ll stop at ten but there are many more reasons that we should not consolidate. Itâ??s just not a good idea given the nature of the two townships. Good people in both townships with a system of our own checks and balances. If itâ??s not broke then donâ??t fix it, comes to mind. Beaver Island is not perfect. No place is ,as weâ??ve discovered in Petoskey. We are not professionals and we make mistakes in township business. We do stiff arm the visitors sometimes because we are smarter than they think and we are and we do know a lot about surviving long term in the middle of the Lake. Not saying the stiff arm is right. Weâ??ve seen many come and go and it usually gets dumped back in our lap to close the City dump, build the Library, Health Center, Transfer station, etc. Not without the help of our many seasonal residents and visitors. Wouldnâ??t be here without you. So letâ??s continue to pull the same wagon as far as making this a community that everyone can enjoy. We should get rid of any fake names and agree to disagree. I wrote a college paper on the inevitability of fighting and wars. But thatâ??s a subject for another day.
Ronald L. Wojan
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Lots of good insight. Thank you for sharing some of the history and your knowledge it is greatly appreciated.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Great post Ron!!!

John McCafferty
Nancy Levant

Post by Nancy Levant »

This helps. Many thanks.
Nancy
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Ron -
All good points and appreciate your sharing them but like today's debate were there any facts to support oppinions and perceptions?
Kirk
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Ron I was very impressed with your comment, "There were public meetings in the summertime with lots of participation, suggestions, and ideas. After much discussion, it was decided not to join the townships." You guys didn't just go and put it on a petition and waste time and money unless the voters were interested in doing so. As well as I am sure if all of these meetings where held that there was research involved because people would not come to the conclusion to not consolidate without some FACTS.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

At least they got together as townships had discussions and meetings in summer and decided amongst themselves not to do it. They did not try to sneak anything past the people.

John McCafferty
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

No argument from me, I've always supported informational meetings, discussion and involvement by as many as possible. It has to be orchestrated properly or it will quickly morph into a nonproductive yelling match.
Kirk
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Thank you Ron! Some points I had not considered.
Pam Grassmick

Consolidation

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Good personal reflectionals/information to look at. What year was that?

Thanks, Ron.
McGrass
Jim

wisdom

Post by Jim »

Thank you, Ron Wojan !

Donna Stambaugh
DeerwoodLodge

Post by DeerwoodLodge »

Ron

I want to thank you for stepping up and providing meaningful, tangible and valuable input into this discussion.

As a seasonal resident with a very large property tax bill on the island, I think not only is proper due diligence to making sure every dollar is spent wisely in order to fairly and proportionally represent and support each and every resident and property owner of the utmost importance, but that also a commitment by all to decisions being made that are based on the full understanding of the short and long term economic impact made on individuals, businesses, agencies, public servants, and the island as a whole should be equally paramount.

It appears there has not been an adequate community engagement and education process to allow for a full understanding by all of the pros, cons, and other impacts associated with a consolidation. A reading of the forum discussions and the confusion at hand should confirm that for anyone paying attention. Therefore, until that occurs, and all sides are comfortable they are making educated, informed decisions on one of the most important choices the island can make for its short and long term future, it seems superfluous at best, and dangerous at worst, to even put the issue to a vote.

Its a humongous challenge to coordinate education and engagement on issues in a place where so many of its residents and tax payers are spread out across the country at various times of the year. With that understanding, it should be incumbent upon the community to ensure a process allowing for an understanding by all to be achieved prior to moving forward.

That being said, and in conjunction with the lengthy discussions I have had with Ron regarding the history of the issue of consolidation, at this time I have to agree with Ron and suggest there is in no way enough irrefutable evidence for consolidation to outweigh the value of not forgetting the history that has us here to begin with.

Vince Ebersoldt
Deerwood
Wkohls

Post by Wkohls »

Ron . . .

Thanks for sharing your insights. You might appreciate the report that Jack Gallagher and I prepared. It's available at https://wkohls.wixsite.com/consolidationinfo
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Great posts Ron and Vince. Thank you!!

John McCafferty
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Vince

Thank you for your post.

Kathe