Township Consolidation

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Ron Wojan

Township Consolidation

Post by Ron Wojan »

Hello everyone, This is Ron Wojan. I was very surprised and disappointed to learn that the Voters of Beaver Island will be asked to vote on whether we should have one or two townships. Without enough public input, meetings, and discussion about the facts and whether itâ??s a good idea or not. I would compare this to asking someone who was about to begin a new journey , whether they would prefer to drive most of the way, uphill or downhill? Naturally, most everyone would prefer to drive downhill. Saves gas, less wear on my car, etc.,etc. Just makes sense, Right? So off you go only to come across a slippery slope and you keep moving faster. Antilock brakes are on but you just keep moving more quickly ahead. At the bottom off this hill is a road washed out and a raging river. All of a sudden youâ??re thinking maybe you should have stayed on the uphill route. I was township supervisor in the late 1980â??s when we thoroughly looked into this question. There were public meetings in the summertime with lots of participation, suggestions, and ideas. After much discussion, it was decided not to join the townships. Iâ??m surprised that no one seems to know or care about all that. They say in Florida and other places where there are horrific natural disasters that the memory of it lasts just about 25 years and then people go right back to the same places. I think thatâ??s what is happening here. History seems to be repeating itself. Iâ??m not sure how much I can do on one post so Iâ??ll submit the reasons we decided not to join the townships on a following post.[/b]
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Ron,

Thank you for starting this thread and reaching out to the community. I look forward to your thoughts.

Kathe
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Great job Ron. Thanks!!!

John McCafferty
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Thank you Ron, well thought out post.