2017 State of the Great Lakes Report

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Pam Grassmick

2017 State of the Great Lakes Report

Post by Pam Grassmick »

This report has many great articles. Governor Synder and Jon Allan have opening statements in the publication. You'll notice a photo of Gull Harbor on page 6, page 10 is a photo of the Great Lakes Islands Summit in action, and pages 16 and 17 include a summary article on the event. We are fortunate to have hosted this event on Beaver Island. Thank you to all in this community who made this inaugural meeting of Great Lakes Islands a success. Next meeting of the Great Lakes Islands Collaborative is being held October 1-2 on Madeline Island, WI.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/deq/2 ... 9330_7.pdf
McGrass
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Thanks for sharing the article Pam. A nice picture of Gull Harbor and the cover page is Fish Town in Leland with the Manitou Mail Boat in the background. Have sailed on that tub with several rough crossings. It makes the South Shore ride the waves like the QE2. Lots of fond memories of camping over there. Talk about dark night skies and bright stars, the Seven Sisters danced for us and sang us to sleep most every night.
Thanks again for all you and others did for the Islands Summit. Our islands are a gift and we need to save them. Madeline Island can be cold in October. :D :D :D
Skull&CrossBones
Blacksmith Apprentice

Pirating a practical career?

Post by Blacksmith Apprentice »

I have been considering pirating as a career. Blacksmithing does not pay that well. Are there enough ships to support an additional pirate to the islands area or is it too crowded?
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

I don't think you can call pirating a career, it makes it sound too honorable a profession but it is a wonderful life style. I have been a practicing pirate in these waters for the last 200 plus years and never had a boring day. As an aging pirate, life expectancy depending on reputation or getting caught is about 300 years, I am thinking about taking on an apprentice. As a blacksmith if you can make a good sword, you're my top choice so far. :D 8) :wink:
Skull&CrossBones