Interest find on township consolidations

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

My comment was made because she would look at things differently depending upon where her property/voting is. St. James your property taxes will go down but Peaine ours would go up. So when Meg makes a comment like, " Why the waste and confusion of unevenly splitting the funds to all that we share?" (which I am not totally sure what she means by that). Also wonder what township she would be referring to for "Why in the world would we need a case for transparency and pre-planning, considering the past years of mismanagement and cover-ups?" (assuming it is the township she owns property or votes in). If she does then I ask for explanation on these things as it isn't clear to me. If she doesn't own property or vote then I guess I would wonder why she cares?

As for myself I don't see how all would benefit more from consolidation, that hasn't been explained to me and of course I am going to look at the cost here as that WILL effect me but if I was in St. James I might say it was best for all to consolidate knowing that being in that township would also benefit me financially.

Since I don't know Meg, she didn't even sign her name to a post that if your willing to post I would think you would sign your name, knowing what township she owns property or votes would help me understand maybe a little more where she is coming from.
Hopefully this explains my questions a little better.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Please Richie explain how one township will help with any of this, "Time to move forward and get on to things that better our community as a whole, better roads, bike paths, using our natural resources, promoting growth and jobs for the young, we are sinking fast!" I don't understand. If these things can be improved upon then there is no reason they can not be improved upon as things stand now but again IF these things can be improved upon then I say you would need to get involved to help change it, I don't see how just consolidating is going to change any of it.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Just a wild assumption on my part but I would guess George Washington with his wooden teeth would be more focused on an island dentist than township consolidation. But a nice touch to inject George into the debate. 8) :P :wink:
aka/Don :?
Skull&CrossBones
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

I see pirate Don is back for another "FIX".

I appreciate you bring up the "wooden teeth" as it demonstrates a point i have been trying to make.

You see...FACTS are so important! You have taken a "rumor" or "emblelishment" and twisted it to your purpose. The truth is George did not have wooden teeth. His dentures were made of ivory, gold and other things...but no wood!

Just more noise...
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

When I crossed the Delaware with Georgie, he told me he wasn't worried about his teeth falling out because made out of wood they would float, not sink. I was the one who told him he would never be president with wooden teeth, he should consider upgrading with ivory implants. I may have changed the course of history. :shock: :D :wink:
aka/Don - Feeling less cowardly with a name now. :?
Skull&CrossBones
kanderson

Post by kanderson »

Those appointments aren't meant to be "jobs" or careers. I am not certain, but I don't think anyone on either boards do not have another full-time job or have retired since having a full-time job. So, I am not sure where the reasoning for taking away jobs would be?

I agree, "we are sinking". Not just in numbers, but in community and tradition. I remember having a blast at hall parties, dancing with my grandpa, and learning/feeling the blessings of having what is now my family (blood or not) & community. I am not sure what has changed so much over the last 20 or so years (from my perspective), but the past traditions are fading and it is sad....not that it has much to do with 2 townships or one..I just got off on a ramble. Happy Friday!
kanderson

Post by kanderson »

I do get why you asked, Andy..and thank you for responding..nicely :-) Have a good one!
DonH

Post by DonH »

Kathe: I really like the Pirate. He pushes you over the edge quite easily. =D>
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Don H...no worries...The Pirate is part of the island adventure.
Thanks for the concern. He is really of no bother. Since he has erased and reedited some of his previous post he is back on track to being funny again.
:D :D :D
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

â??If they consolidate the townships, how will the tug of war be divided on Saint Patricks Day?â?￾

Posted with permission of the inquirer.
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

Since I've been told I don't have a say in this issue, I can only sit on the sideline and read the various post. I will say that even without the right to comment it's still a good read. Some of the people remind me of the neighbors old dog that used to chase it's tail. It was funny to watch, but deep down inside it made you sad because there's only one reason an old dog chases it's tail.
Mike Green

Post by Mike Green »

Andy you need to think positive instead of the negative. Think about it for a moment before you respond. Why double up everything. I guess itâ??s ok to pay double for everything instead of combining. Why not have two of everything for each township.
Mike Green

Post by Mike Green »

We are one Island. It shouldnâ??t mater if you live in Peaine or St James we need to work for what is best for Beaver Island not what is best for your personal gain. One Island one township
DonH

Post by DonH »

Mike made a very good point. Also have you, Kathe, John and Andy, ever thought that both St. James and Peaine taxes will end up equal and lower when all is said and done. Think positive. :D
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Thanks Mike, Andy wanted me to explain it and I couldn't understand how anyone could misunderstand the benefits! You've done it in a very short paragraph! :D