Interest find on township consolidations

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

treehugger

Post by treehugger »

You certainly are correct Kathe. This is a lot of noise. :argue:
anonymous
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

Kathe

Where did you find that information? I have not found a link to any township budget information so far. Please share. I would like to look and compare both townships myself and post that information side by side on this forum. It would be very beneficial.
burton
Nancy Levant

Post by Nancy Levant »

Hi John,
From the ones Iâ??ve talked to who hope for consolidation, what I sense is there were those who may have felt, for lack of better terms, a sense of urgency or need to get this done due to issues that were not getting done (no specifics) due to a lack of island unity blamed by two separate townships. One reported being saddened by â??hostilitiesâ?￾.

Loud and clear, yes; I would have done things differently. Elected officials must re-present (hence the term â??representativeâ?￾) the will of the people. Clearly, there were people who were not aware of the process in action. That said, I was told a petition to get consolidation on the ballot was available, requiring signatures from registered voters in both townships. From a legal standpoint, a few petition signatures may be all that was required since the state makes all the rules for boundary changes. Still, we have to move past how it happened. It happened, and the vote is 13 weeks away. We need to figure out whether one or two townships best serves the people. For me, this is very complicated. I am waiting for the fact on both sides. If I am muddying the waters, forgive me. Iâ??m wading my way through a lot of new territory.
Nancy
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Would the budget show the big surplus of money that is going to pay for the consolidation?

John McCafferty
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Hi Nancy, do you were told by a supporter that there is a sense of urgency to get this done due to issues not getting done but no specifics. Why the secrecy. If the issues were explained it would make is easier.
The whole thing has been a secret to most.

John McCafferty
medic5740

Budget information

Post by medic5740 »

I am providing this information with no motive attached to it. This is what I could find in about and hour and a half of research:

St. James draft projected 2018-19 and Peaine April 2017- March 2018 P&L 3/30/17 Budget worksheet

St James......................................Peaine

Trustee Wages 10,000................Trustee Wages 10,860
Support Staff Wages 1,000
FICA 1000
Legal Fees 6,000..........................Legal Fees 3,000
Supervisor 15,900........................Supervisor 16,320
Deputy Supervisor 3,400..............Assistant Supervisor 3,600
FICA 1400
Clerk 16,000.................................Clerk 15,420
Deputy Clerk 3,400.......................Deputy Clerk 2,880
FICA 1,500
Treasuter 15,000..........................Treasurer 15,420
Deputy Treasurer 2,400................Deputy Treasurer 1,500
FICA 1,500
Election Wages 3,000....................Election Wages 2,550
FICA 750

The total proposed draft for St. James Township is $80,250

The total for Peaine Township projected Profit and Loss is $71,550. This is almost 2 years old. It is the latest information available on the Peaine website.

These totals do NOT include supplies, technology costs, nor anything other than presented in the columns above.

Peaine information from:
http://www.peainetwp.org/Peaine%20Meeti ... 20docs.pdf
St. James information from:
Proposed draft budget information given at meeting on 2/7/18.
This information is the latest information that is publicly available as of 2/8/18. Peaine meeting will take place on 2/14/18.

Joe Moore
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www ... T3aneyunzB
I am not sure if this will work but I am trying to do a link from Peaine township web page of 2017-2018 budget as Joe is incorrect it is on there.

Nancy - on this budget it shows $3,000 for Legal services and $3,500 for Accounting/Auditing, again I will be interested to find out where you and coming up with six figures because I don't see anything close even if you combine both townships fees.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

Andy

I can get to the information from the link you posted but how do I get information from http://www.peainetwp.org I don't see anywhere that you can pull up meeting, agenda's, etc. How do we do that?

Thanks for posting
burton
medic5740

sorry I'm wrong

Post by medic5740 »

If I'm wrong, I will apologize. That's just my nature.

Compare the two documents and the links. They are exactly the same.

Joe
Andy's Grooming Barn

Carol,
I just did a search from the search engine that is on the web page so don't know how to navigate to it but there must be a way since it is on the site.....guess it doesn't matter as long as you have the information.
Andy Kohls
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

I was hoping we could get to it for others from the website. Also I can never find agendas or minutes etc.
burton
Andy's Grooming Barn

Just do a search, it is at the top of the website, I am not that familiar with the website as I don't get on there that often but the search found it right away.
Andy Kohls
medic5740

pathway to the information

Post by medic5740 »

peainetwp.org

Government/Departments

Board of Trustees

Financials and Budgets

March 30, 2017 Peaine Township Proposed Budget Public Hearing

or shortcut below:

http://www.peainetwp.org/Peaine%20Meeti ... 20docs.pdf

Joe Moore
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

Got it! If your screen is small it blocks out to the left not the right for some reason but I now know that. Thanks
burton
Andy's Grooming Barn

For the agenda and minutes on the website:
Click on Gov/Dept - Board of trustees then you will see agenda and minutes. I just went to the website and found it, I thought it was pretty user friendly and no Bill isn't here right now so he isn't helping me I did it all by myself 8) .
Andy Kohls