Interest find on township consolidations

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Bob

Post by Bob »

Nancy: We know how the ACA has helped people, so you should make a comparison to the Tax cut that was passed to "find out what is in it."
Bob
Nancy Levant

Post by Nancy Levant »

Hi Bob, I realize there are those who claim the ACA helped people, but when the bulk of the nation was cut to part-time employment because of the ACA, self-included, I personally was left with a $330.00 a month premium with a $7,000.00 dollar deductible, which I could not do, leaving me with zero health care, and this before rates went up every year after its passage and why it collapsed. I simply added the quote to suggest caution.
Nancy
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Nancy,

Thank you for your comments. It is nice to see others on the forum have concerns, opinions and not be afraid to voice them.

It would be amazing if we could see side by side FACTS about the consequences of a consolidation. Everyone has good intentions, but even good intentions are not enough. You bring up very good points about are we really going to save money. I look forward to meeting you this summer!

Kathe
Nancy Levant

Post by Nancy Levant »

Kathe, Thank you for your kind comments, and I look forward to meeting you as well.
Nancy
Bob

Post by Bob »

Nancy: How can you say "When the bulk of the nation was cut to part-time employment because of the ACA". Aren't you exaggerating somewhat. That would be over 100,000,000 workers. :roll:
Bob
Nancy Levant

Post by Nancy Levant »

Hi Bob, Your point is taken; I said that poorly. However, "The ACA directly incentivises employers to use part-time rather than full-time workers, and smaller businesses have the necessity of grasping at any competitive advantage they can get. Six years after its passage and almost three years after its implementation, Goldman Sachs still sees Obamacare as a prime driver of forced part-time employment."

https://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/ ... -Time-Jobs

Also taken into account is that the 27 million+ existing part-time employees were also forced into the ACA mandates. I ended up paying the tax fine(s) for not having the mandatory government health care, and so did many millions more, which was less than the mandatory premiums. But, we are off-topic (township consolidation), which I did not mean to happen. If I ever have the opportunity to meet you, we can debate this issue, which I love to do. For the record, I am not a Republican.
Nancy
Nancy Levant

Post by Nancy Levant »

Great info in this document; pay attention to pages 101 through 116 on Michigan townships:

https://books.google.com/books?id=UppFD ... an&f=false
Nancy
Nancy Levant

Post by Nancy Levant »

More current news on township consolidations. This one is interesting because many consolidations may be forced:

http://www.wfft.com/content/news/472529513.html
Nancy
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

It is obvious to all why this consolidation is being forced on the voters. It is obvious why there were no studies done on the impacts of the consolidation. It is obvious why it is being pushed through now instead of when officials have served their terms out.

John McCafferty
Nancy Levant

Post by Nancy Levant »

Hi John, It is interesting that in several other states bills have been introduced to force township consolidations--Indiana, for example--which is currently attempting to force neighboring townships to consolidate if either/or township has a population less than 1,200 residents. Equally, city, county and even regional consolidations have been occurring across the nation for many years, which speaks overall to planned/ intentional governmental consolidations of power and territory. However, in our situation, I do believe we should keep researching, demanding as many facts and as much accountability as possible, while also remaining open to the reality that one township is likely adequate for 600 people.

That said, it is also clear that more collectivizing/centralizing of government is a national trend and one that most of the world seems to embrace. The entire U.S. has been regionalized, and on many levels for many decades, which is not by accident. Socialized democracies are part of the current political push, and that party is growing in the U.S. by leaps and bounds and particularly among younger voters. Beaver Island, however, must choose whether it wants to lean in this direction or to, as many criticize, stay with the older system and structures of governance. Let us at least hope that the State of Michigan does not also introduce legislation to force small township consolidations, removing that power from voters.

Our consolidation decision is significant both on the macro and micro level because it speak to a leaning toward a more collective-style government vs. a more traditional grassroots self-government. That said, two townships for 600 people can certainly be logically argued, but so can two townships be defended--particularly when island services are already shared.
Nancy
Nancy Levant

Post by Nancy Levant »

State notes from the State of Michigan Senate on government consolidations in Michigan--provided in 2010. Very interesting:

http://www.senate.michigan.gov/sfa/publ ... um10es.pdf
Nancy
islandliving

Post by islandliving »

Thanks Nancy for the info. The consolidation is a complete joke the way it was presented to us voters. A shock to a lot of people who found out after it was past the county and on the ballot. A move to try to gain power by elimination. I hope more voters see the truth in the action taken and get this whole proposal voted down in May. Vote NO on township consolidation.

John McCafferty
Nancy Levant

Post by Nancy Levant »

I asked several residents from both St. James and Peaine Townships if they thought there was a difference in people choosing to live in one township of the other. All respondents reported preferences for living in one township or the other, which many experts have also noted. St. James residents reported a preference to live close to the island businesses with quick-access shopping/banking/postal service, etc., to feel less isolated, to enjoy the tourist season events around the harbor, and to be closer to the school. Peaine Township residents said they preferred to live outside of the business district to enjoy nature, to have quiet, space and privacy during the tourist season, for quick access to several inland lakes, to have less property restrictions, less taxes, and for work opportunities on the south end of the island.

I also asked residents of both townships if, given the opportunity, they would move from their current township and relocate to the other. In all instances, respondents said they would not move from their current townships, indicating that both St. James and Peaine township residents identify with a somewhat different character or culture in their townships, which seems to validate many expert opinions of why individual townships are more responsive to their voters.

Having lived on the island for less than one year, it is difficult to navigate through island opinions and preferences, experts and research, and island politics/dramas (normal everywhere), and what is ultimately in the best interest of a unique community of co-dependent residents with the need for island development (good jobs for permanent residents), while retaining and protecting the natural resources and environment, peace, quiet, and unique and historic culture.

What I can report is what appears to be a somewhat widespread distrust of why the consolidation was seemingly forced upon voters and a belief that an ongoing power monopoly operates on the island, which may be a haves vs. have-notâ??s issue. We should consider that so far in history, the world has yet to change the â??wealth is powerâ?￾ paradigm, which remains a global norm.

Equally, I have found it difficult to find literature that claims actual or proven positive results for township consolidations except for one, where four townships were consolidated in northern Wisconsin and, after five years, saw cost reductions. What experts commonly recommend over consolidations for reducing costs and improving services in township governments are: 1) Shared services in both townships, 2) for individual townships to practice lean (sigma six) governmental management and fiscal/budgetary practices (I do not know whether Lean Sigma Six practices are utilized by St. James and Peaine Townshipsâ?? supervisors and managers.), and 3) that consolidation results in fewer township trustees who can then appoint (vs. elected) deputy supervisors and other boards and commissioners including their family members. Should one consolidated township board consist of only five or seven trustees, opportunity exists for an all-friends/family/social class monopoly, meaning that all and fair voter representation could be compromised. Nor are trustees obligated to post public job notices for which all islanders may wish to know and apply.

Being told by many people that such concerns currently exist on Beaver Island, reducing trustee numbers by consolidating townships may need further consideration. One resident suggested an off-island/impartial ethics committee to review the proceedings and decisions should the consolidation pass. I found this which was helpful: https://www.fsbrlaw.com/Resources/Towns ... ip-Law-Q-A
Nancy
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

Nancy,

I don't know you but I would be glad to have a conversation with you about this matter and any other that I am involved with. You can pm me and I will call you anytime.

I also think what you see on this forum and in your poll is not a distrust issue of the consolidation it is a mistrust of our local townships and how the island is being run and where dollars are being spent to enhance life here. You must ask these questions. What has the township done for the taxpayer? What is the township doing for the taxpayer now? Questions that are far from answered. It is one island and most people see it that way. If you are invested in the island then its about the whole island and working together to make it better.

I truly believe the more anger toward not consolidating without real debate and solid facts from those against it will find more people voting yes just to enforce change.

I know that more information is coming out. There are a lot of people just like you researching and putting legitimate links and sites and information together. However, this is not the outlet for it. The forum is a place you will not find people that are in the trenches with answers because they are busy working on a solution and don't need the energy draw it takes to deal with the negativity. I give them credit for stepping up to the plate. This has been talked about for years and now they are really making us think about it.
burton
Nancy Levant

Post by Nancy Levant »

Hi Carol,

Regarding your bolded section, I believe I stated the same thing in paragraph three of my post prior to yours. I have, in fact, been posting facts from the State of Michigan, lawyers, academics, economists, and newspapers directly related to township consolidation. There are many people expressing their thanks for the posts and links as well. I also realize you are deeply involved in both the business and political arenas on the island, for which I am grateful and genuinely impressed by your service. I am retired and somewhat disabled awaiting a new knee and hip, so my direct involvement is at present somewhat limited, but I hope in a year or two to become more directly involved and would love to do so. I do disagree, however, that this forum is an inappropriate place for these discussions--particularly since several other long discussions on the consolidation are also posted and ongoing. What I did not expect was the number of views and responses, which also indicates ongoing interest. My phone number is 2336, and I would love to talk to you and meet you as well. You are invited for coffee and to meet my wonderful grand daughter, dog and cat!
Nancy