BITA/BIBCO

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

Thanks for the heads up on the BIBCO stock. Sorry I wasn't clear that I have two prospective sellers. The issue is that they have variable numbers of shares and a big difference in what they are asking per share. I was hoping to buy the minimum of 5 shares but they rightfully want to sell all their respective shares. Additionally they were not optimistic that owning shares will give me any access to financial information on BIBCO which appears to be very guarded. I could not find an e-mail address for BIBCO and have left two voice mail messages but no return calls. I was thinking they could give me the current value of the stock. At this time I have put buying shares on hold and am hopeful BITA can provide some of BIBCO's financial information.
Again, thank you very much.
DC
34077BI

Post by 34077BI »

We're glad there is discussion regarding the prices of the ferry ride and freight.
We love taking the ferry, but the prices for our visits with a vehicle make it not doable more than once a summer. Our grown children would come more often too, if the vehicle price wasn't so high.
We also take our clothes in totes and now have to pay for that. Seems crazy to have to go buy fancy luggage to visit the laidback island!
Glenn Swier
Darby Campbell

Post by Darby Campbell »

It is good to hear from others expressing their concerns. Hopefully enough voices will bring about a positive change in operations and costs.
DC
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Glen

I would encourage you to call BIBCO direct for information about the totes and freight charges. I called today as we are having a large group to the island this summer and was concerned about some of the comments on the forum.

Tim was very helpful in explaining the charges and how to best organize our freight to come over for the week. He also had some tips on how to cut down on tote charges.

Happy Monday!

Kathe
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

MAY/LEWES FERRY

Interstate Ferry Service

Ferry between Cape May, New Jersey and Lewes, Delaware...

>20 miles
>90 minutes

Passengers : $8.00 / $14 RT
Vehicles : $24.00 /$51.00 RT

Just Sayin........
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

When I used to be on the Boat Company Board I contacted the Business that runs that ferry service. They have a much leaner administrative business model, or at least they did. The President was also one of the active captains on the ferry.

They remain as they did then a great potential resource on how to run a successful Private Ferry business. In the last few years as they have grown they have added a Fast Ferry Service.

They have a great website where customers can choose the fast ferry option although the cost is more.

https://www.blockislandferry.com/

I told the company over a decade ago that developing a fast ferry system in the summer months could be an option that would increase travel. I was told, "that was tried before and it didn't work"
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Jeff
I think the Block Island ferry is a different entity from the Lewes/ May ferry in Delaware. (?)
Ben Franklin
meadefamily

Post by meadefamily »

Here is the link. The history is interesting and the info on other ferry systems in the USA waters.

https://www.cmlf.com/cape-may-lewes-ferry-history

The videos they have and services are something that would be great here!
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

My mistake I thought it was part of Interstate navigation.

I see it is part of a governmental authority.

http://www.drba.net/AbouttheDRBA.aspx
Bump

Post by Bump »

:arrow:
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

As much as I hate to admit it, being a self employed business person all my life, sometimes socially engineered infrastructure, and not privately held enterprise, can benefit the people who need it.
Capitalism works on the basis that ultimately if the customer is not being served to their needs, another entity will step up and fill the void (competition).
Social engineering comes into play when the system can not function properly because of extenuated circumstances.
...and this island is one big circumstance 😀
.02$
Ben Franklin
Bump

Post by Bump »

:arrow:
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

John -
I like the fares on the May/Lewes Ferry, thanks for sharing. Have a question or maybe a correction. One way for passengers $8 but round trip is $14. However, with vehicle it is $24 one way but $51 round trip. Seems like it is 2 for a nickel, 3 for a dime?
Kirk D. McBride
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Hi Kirk
Every time I see this thread or similar thread come to the top, I locate another ferry system that provides needed service to an area. By providing some basic information, folks can persue details for comparison for themselves.
Each ferry is, of course, a unique situation.
I feel that if Beaver Island folks are made aware of what other systems are doing, in terms of business structure, fares or stewardship, they can make better informed decisions about our own ferry service system.
The fact that so far, ALL of the other ferry system fares, on a mile to mile comparison basis, have been ranging from moderately to extremely less costly makes me add..

Just sayin'

My rant on the lack of capitalist opportunity was worth .02$
BTW: that one way vehicle fare was $28 one way. Sorry for the mixup.
Ben Franklin
K.D. McBride

Post by K.D. McBride »

Thanks John - Your ferry fares information should be an eye opener for Beaver Island, BITA and the Boat Company. Keep it coming. Do you know what other ferry systems charge for empty plastic tubs? :P
Kirk D. McBride